Have my first Private Practice interivew Sunday. Advice????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tollway

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the questions you have been asked? I meet with the OR Manager, CEO of the hospital, Chief of staff of the hospital,and of course all of the group members. I am intimidated as hell. I have only been to job interviews for a sacker/waiter in college/high school.

Can you guys give me some common questions and answers that are given? I just want a damn job and make some money. It's pretty simple. Anybody with some experience in this area? Thanks alot

Nervous Gasman

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry. Every private practice job interview I went to was really laid back. They want to get an idea of your personallity. They want to know if you will fit in.
You are coming from a good program so you are more than likely very capable.
Ask questions, be social, talk to everyone you can. And don't order the Lobster.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you get liquored up at dinner....So they get to know the real you.

OK...Here's the deal. I've been interviewing literally tons of candidates over the last 12 months...I took them all to the CEO, chief of staff, etc...

The interview process goes both ways....it allows us to know you and you to know us....

The interview process is looking for a long term relationship that benefits both parties (You don't want the ones where it benefits the employer only)

So...YOU need to find out if you fit in....and they are trying to find out if you WILL fit in....

Bottom line....BE YOURSELF.....You can fake being someone else for one day, but not for the long term....if you get a job based on a "fake" persona....you will likely not keep that job for long.

What are some of the questions you have been asked? I meet with the OR Manager, CEO of the hospital, Chief of staff of the hospital,and of course all of the group members. I am intimidated as hell. I have only been to job interviews for a sacker/waiter in college/high school.

Can you guys give me some common questions and answers that are given? I just want a damn job and make some money. It's pretty simple. Anybody with some experience in this area? Thanks alot

Nervous Gasman

You know the routine, Dress the part, be nice, don't say anything controversial or negative. Pretend to be interested no matter how boring their endless discussion of their golfing skills is; don't order a dish more expensive than the boss. Avoid messy dishes.

Keep a copy of every communication you have with the group. Record or immediately write a summary of all oral conversation with any group members.

Use this opportunity to investigate the practice. Before you go check out the hospital web site for the names of the Anesthesia doctor who work there. Your goal is to find the names of all the doctors who have left the practice in the last few years. Google all of those names along with the names of the corporation. Asking for this information from the group will get you labeled as a malcontent but to take a job with out an investigation the backgrounds of your employers is a recipe for disaster.

When you get there try to get as many months of the call schedule as possible. Old call schedules often have phone number of recently departed members of the group, plus they tell you how fair the call schedule is.

While you are in town go to the county court house and look up the names of all of the members of the group looking for lawsuits.

If your interview goes well and you are seriously considering the group you need to contact the people who have left to get the real information about how he group treats its employees.

How to find old employees of a group;

Look up all the anesthesiologist in that town with the state licence database,
http://www.docboard.org/docfinder.html

Look up all the anesthesiologist in that town with the AMA directory, ASA Directories for the last three or four years.

Look up all the anesthesiologist in that town with UPIN number search, great for towns with more than one hospital since it lists the billing address with the name separating out different practice locations.
http://upin.ecare.com/
or
http://www.upinregistry.com/provider_form.asp

Another good database dr-411 since it gives some info not seen elsewhere,
http://www.dr-411.com/default.asp

With all the names you have found you should be able to find a few former employees to contact about the group since this is your best source of unbiased information.

These databases will help you get current names and addresses of former employees.

Google is often helpful.

Searching for current phone number and addresses
http://www.zabasearch.com/

or your favorite directory search database.

Doc board is good for finding some one who has moved;
http://www.docboard.org/docfinder.html
which may give a current address.

If you have no luck you might want to invest a few buck and ask your local detective to search for people you can't locate. They also can search for lawsuits more broadly than the court house.

Now call your names and politely ask them to tell you about there experience at your potential employer.

While this is just the basics, your hospital credential application probably will be ten to twenty pages of invasive questions, many of which will be verified. Why shouldn't you know as much about your potential employer?

If you do not find any skeletons in the closet or areas of concern you need to find a competent lawyer and some trusted friends to look at your contract. Finding a lawyer who knows anything about anesthesia contacts is very difficult many attorneys will claim to be able to review a contact. So just because your buddy and fellow resident used that attorney does not say much about his competence in reviewing anesthesia contacts and providing relevant feedback.

Lastly don't ever buy a house until you have been there at least a year or made partner.
But don't say that to the realtor they force you to take a "tour of the town" with, you can be sure that everything you say to her will funnel back the anesthesia group.

WOW! Thanks guys. Good stuff Chesterfield. Will definately do all that. Thanks

Are you serious Chester?

I was waiting for the joke to be announced.

While you could do all that and it would give you a ton of information I don't really think its that necessary. And if they found out, then I'm pretty sure you won't be getting that job. I agree that it is all good information but I'd be a little nervous of someone that was that nervous about the job. But I am the more laid back get a feel for the group type of guy. All the particulars will be spelled out in a good contract for your lawyers to deal with if necessary. I did call some old partnerthat left the groups I applied to, but that was all. No court house, no checking lawsuits.

Everyone has their ways.

Another useful way to find old partners for docs in general, though it probably doesn't work well for anesthesiology, is to go to the public library and look at old phone books.

WOW! Thanks guys. Good stuff Chesterfield. Will definately do all that. Thanks

don't listen to that advice....investigating the group is a good idea...but going into this in an adversarial mode...ala chesterfield is not the way to work.

I've had guys come through like this.....no contract offer.

"pretend you're interested"????? Pretend to be something you're not?????

Chester's attitude is "because the group is going to screw me, then I'm going to try and put on a false persona...so that I may be able to screw them back because after they hire me, I can be myself"?????

I hired some about a year ago....complete false persona at work interview...kept it up for 6 weeks....asked for a contract....offered a contract.....real persona comes out.....currently on the way out the door looking for a new job.

don't listen to that advice....investigating the group is a good idea...but going into this in an adversarial mode...ala chesterfield is not the way to work.

I've had guys come through like this.....no contract offer.

"pretend you're interested"????? Pretend to be something you're not?????

Chester's attitude is "because the group is going to screw me, then I'm going to try and put on a false persona...so that I may be able to screw them back because after they hire me, I can be myself"?????

I hired some about a year ago....complete false persona at work interview...kept it up for 6 weeks....asked for a contract....offered a contract.....real persona comes out.....currently on the way out the door looking for a new job.

If you had read that post you might have noticed that I was referring to acting respectful during your prospective employer's endless discussion of their hobbies that you have no interest in. I think it is polite to listen and not roll your eyes or stare at your watch, but I guess you do not, Are suggesting the candidate should monopolize the conversation and force his perspective employer to endure a titrate about his favorite hobby?

I just was suggesting these techniques as ways for a perspective employee to learn the truth about the true character of the group they seek to work at. The true intentions of a group will be readily apparent by talking to their ex employees but will carefully hidden from a perspective employee on interview day.

Perhaps you find the thought of investigating your potential employer threatening since these techniques would allow a perspective employee to locate the individual you just forced out the door? I expect that the individual you just fired individual would not paint a very flattering view of you and your group.

Will you be nice enough to tell people how to determine the difference between the garbage jobs and good jobs? You mentioned in a previous post that "most anesthesiologists go through at least 2 jobs before settling down." How is a CA-3 to tell the difference? I have suggested a looking for lawsuits and talking to ex employees. If you know of a better method perhaps you might be nice enough to share it with the rest of us

If you had read that post you might have noticed that I was referring to acting respectful during your prospective employer’s endless discussion of their hobbies that you have no interest in. I think it is polite to listen and not roll your eyes or stare at your watch, but I guess you do not, Are suggesting the candidate should monopolize the conversation and force his perspective employer to endure a titrate about his favorite hobby?

I just was suggesting these techniques as ways for a perspective employee to learn the truth about the true character of the group they seek to work at. The true intentions of a group will be readily apparent by talking to their ex employees but will carefully hidden from a perspective employee on interview day.

Perhaps you find the thought of investigating your potential employer threatening since these techniques would allow a perspective employee to locate the individual you just forced out the door? I expect that the individual you just fired individual would not paint a very flattering view of you and your group.

Will you be nice enough to tell people how to determine the difference between the garbage jobs and good jobs? You mentioned in a previous post that “most anesthesiologists go through at least 2 jobs before settling down.” How is a CA-3 to tell the difference? I have suggested a looking for lawsuits and talking to ex employees. If you know of a better method perhaps you might be nice enough to share it with the rest of us

What I'm commenting on is your attitude. You are bitter. You don't have a permanent position, and yet you are giving advice on how to pursue a permanent position....how ironic.

"pretend" ...that is the exact word you used....I'm saying don't "pretend" anything.....The interview process is a 2 way street....they get to know you...you get to know them...."pretend"ing is a sure fire way to screw things up.

The individual that I/we just fired is desperately trying to stay........Why? Because we are fair.......Why are we letting this person go? Because this person "pretend"ed to be something that he was not during his work interview.

How do you find a good job? Talk to the folks...read the contract....look at the turnover rate....

There is no need to be adversarial....

If you had read that post you might have noticed that I was referring to acting respectful during your prospective employer’s endless discussion of their hobbies that you have no interest in. I think it is polite to listen and not roll your eyes or stare at your watch, but I guess you do not, Are suggesting the candidate should monopolize the conversation and force his perspective employer to endure a titrate about his favorite hobby?

Will you be nice enough to tell people how to determine the difference between the garbage jobs and good jobs? You mentioned in a previous post that “most anesthesiologists go through at least 2 jobs before settling down.” How is a CA-3 to tell the difference? I have suggested a looking for lawsuits and talking to ex employees. If you know of a better method perhaps you might be nice enough to share it with the rest of us

I agree that it is a good idea to investigate your group to certain degree. I talked to some ex-members b/4 joining my groups (2 private jobs so far so I guess Mil is close to right). You have to be careful when talking to them. If they were let go, chances are they are bitter. If they moved on, then they could be bitter or they could be just fine with their last group. When I left my last group I was torn. I enjoyed them very much and I still visit and vacation with some of them. So you have to take everyone's opinions into account but how do you determine who is right and who is giving you a line? Its all about getting a god vibe and feeling comfortable with the ones you are interviewing with. So it does you absolutely no good to pretend. Be yourself and hopefully they will as well.

Nervous Gasman

johan here,

Let me just put it out there.. most groups are out to screw new grads.. period.. you just have to find out how they are trying to screw you.. why would they want to be fair to you? Now I am in total agreement with chesterfield in the level of scrutiny that you choose to embark upon. I dont think i would go into that much detail.. Sometimes its a leap of faith.. Nothing is certain.. I agree dont buy a house until you have been there for a while.. and just make sure that the out clause( notice that you have to give when you quit is short). If the out clause is short,, nothing more than 8 weeks. once you are there and they start putting you on call every saturday.. or every holiday.. or you are doing all the **** work. or you are there late.. just put in your notice and move on.. Its not hard.. they cant screw you if the out clause is short and make sure you negotiate that the group pays a tail... under no circumstance will you be paying a tail when you leave.. regardless of whatever reason you choose to leave..

How do you find a good job? Talk to the folks...read the contract....look at the turnover rate.......

"Talk to the folks...read the contract."

I doubt that there is an applicant who did not do those things before getting a job.

"look at the turnover rate."

Asking that question directly would be adversarial. Even if you did the answer you got might be a lie. I have been told by group owners that people left because their wife didn't like the town, they found the summer to hot, or the winters to cold. By using the techniques outlined above I found out the real reason, It usually had more to do about unfair call schedules and unfulfilled promises of compensation.

I just think if you want your first job to last more than a few months and not get screwed you need to do a little home work.

militarymd;4124507The individual that I/we just fired is desperately trying to stay........Why? Because we are fair.......Why are we letting this person go? Because this person "pretend"ed to be something that he was not during his work interview. How do you find a good job? Talk to the folks...read the contract....look at the turnover rate.... There is no need to be adversarial....[/QUOTE said:
Does this guy do the work and is a competent doctor.. if he is..than you have no basis to try to get rid of him (pretending to be something else that he was not during work interview is not a basis for trying to fire someone.). and this is precisely the bs that goes on with exlusive contracts.. everyone cant like the same thing.. everyone cant have similar personality traits.. thats what makes the world go round.. Look at you.. not everyone is a know it all like you.. .. accept that.. I, I think anesthesia should be "eat what you kill".. period.. anything else is BS. if you cant hang.. go sit in an ivory tower and teach straight up.

If you have an incentive situtation where everything you do.. you get paid.. they cannot hurt you.. If you are in a situation where the more they put you on call, or the more weekends you do. the fatter your wallet gets.. they cant hurt you.. but if its a straight salary regardless of what you do.. This is a set up. a trap..

Does this guy do the work and is a competent doctor.. if he is..than you have no basis to try to get rid of him (pretending to be something else that he was not during work interview is not a basis for trying to fire someone.). and this is precisely the bs that goes on with exlusive contracts.. everyone cant like the same thing.. everyone cant have similar personality traits.. thats what makes the world go round.. Look at you.. not everyone is a know it all like you.. .. accept that.. I, I think anesthesia should be "eat what you kill".. period.. anything else is BS. if you cant hang.. go sit in an ivory tower and teach straight up.

I want my practice to be successful.....I want everyone to make a boatload of cash.

For that to happen....we, the group function as a team....there is no "I" in a team.

I have the basis to fire this guy, because he is not a part of my team...the only basis I need is when the majority of the owners decide it is time for him to go.....

The exclusive contract allows me and my partners to build a TEAM that provides the best service while allowing all members of the team to have the BEST time off/vacatio schedule....while providing the BEST anesthesia service....

If you think, you ALONE and take care of your patients as well as my TEAM of doctors who work together and provide service in a coordinated effort, then I would have to say that you are a megalomaniac.

So, this fella, is not finding a spot in my team....but likes the rewards to come with the team....well, if you can't fit in, you're out.

I/we usually ownership within 30 days, but I/we're glad we waited a little on this fella......

If you think, you ALONE and take care of your patients as well as my TEAM of doctors who work together and provide service in a coordinated effort, then I would have to say that you are a megalomaniac.

well, if you can't fit in, you're out.

I/we usually ownership within 30 days, but I/we're glad we waited a little on this fella......

i take care of one patient at a time.. i do it exceedingly well and the n i move on.... if you or anybody else needs an exclusive contract of a whole hospital to compete... i feel sorry for you.. i dont have an exclusive contract and i prolly make just as much if not more than you...

as I said.