Have questions? Ask an Admissions Committee Member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for Admissions:

I started working in a previous health care field (paramedic) before becoming interested in pharmacy. I have shadowed quite a bit and have started working as a Tech while completing a BS degree. I am positive Pharmacy is for me. Would it look poorly to admissions if I let my paramedic certificate lapse? Or should I fork over the $500 to re-cert. I have about 5 years experience in EMS and don't plan on utilizing my certification anymore as my focus in solely pharmacy.

Thanks.

I don't think a committee would care much if your certification lapsed. If there was any chance that you might use it again, however, I'd keep it current. I'd hate to see you let it go, not get into pharmacy school and then be out of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I suppose every committee is different, but there is probably a screening process to "weed out" unqualified candidates based on low PCATs and/or GPAs. Therefore, those are probably the most important categories - the "gatekeeper" so to speak.
So I guess it is safe to assume 0-6 pharmacy schools (Rutgers, USP, etc.) will be looking mainly at SAT/ACT and high school GPA?

I was placed on the unranked waitlist at the University of Minnesota. I am wondering if you could PM me about unranked waitlists as well.

In short, I don't believe in "unranked" waiting lists. Either the school feels you are a candidate for admission or they don't. If you an alternate worthy of admission, at some point they need to rank the best alternates in the event that they have spots in the class to fill once all of the offers have been accepted/rejected

I guess what I'm saying is this: If a school tells you that you are on an "unranked" waiting list, either:
a) they have yet to rank their alternate list , which they will do eventually
b) you are so far down on the alternate list that you haven't been "ranked" (assuming only the very best alternates ultimately get "ranked")

This is my experience at least. Hope it helps. If anyone has specific questions, I am happy to address them here or via PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for asking so many questions, but is there anything in particular an admissions committee looks into as far as volunteering, shadowing, work experience is considered? Is one prefered over the other?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but is there anything in particular an admissions committee looks into as far as volunteering, shadowing, work experience is considered? Is one prefered over the other?

If you look at this thread in it's entirety, Admissions stated that it is more important to work or volunteer in a pharmacy. In addition, you MUST receive a LOR from the pharmacist or it will be a WASTE and look really bad. How does the admission committee know you did more than just clean up or stock shelves? Work experience is important and therefore, older applicants usually have the advantage in this category because they have had (generally) more opportunity to gain work/life experiences.

As noted by the above poster, I think can be beneficial to have some real life pharmacy experience when applying. If it is not possible to work while in school (which happens for any number of reasons), shadowing or volunteering is better than nothing. I know some committee members who put great stock into this element of an application, while others not as much. I probably fall into the latter group, although I have admitted marginal students who have otherwise fantastic applications that might include working at a pharmacy with excellent recommendations from the pharmacist(s) there.

As noted by the above poster, I think can be beneficial to have some real life pharmacy experience when applying. If it is not possible to work while in school (which happens for any number of reasons), shadowing or volunteering is better than nothing. I know some committee members who put great stock into this element of an application, while others not as much. I probably fall into the latter group, although I have admitted marginal students who have otherwise fantastic applications that might include working at a pharmacy with excellent recommendations from the pharmacist(s) there.

I haven't had any work experience in a pharmacy, though I have volunteered regularly (weekly) in the community free health clinic pharmacy since January. I have great stats (4.0, 88 pcat, bachelor's degree in chem this may), and volunteer experience outside a pharmacy, but I'm worried that my lack of work experience may hold me back. What do you think? I didn't get a LOR from the free health clinic because it is usually a different pharmacist working every week (And I know that you mentioned to have a LOR from your pharmacist or it looks so bad). I have a total of about 60 volunteer hours in the pharmacy, though I have way more hours working with underpriveleged kids in my neighborhood (about 3 years). I got accepted at a school, but my interview at my number one school is next week and I'm anxious and wondering if I have enough pharmacy experience. Thanks!

Hey Admissions,

As an older student, who hasn't taken prereq's in almost five years, do you think that I should retake any courses this summer to prepare for pharmacy school or is the P1 year largely review. Kind of nervous, looked in a Chemistry book and couldn't recall alot of info. Just want to be prepared, any advice will be appreicated.

Thanks

I haven't had any work experience in a pharmacy, though I have volunteered regularly (weekly) in the community free health clinic pharmacy since January. I have great stats (4.0, 88 pcat, bachelor's degree in chem this may), and volunteer experience outside a pharmacy, but I'm worried that my lack of work experience may hold me back. What do you think? I didn't get a LOR from the free health clinic because it is usually a different pharmacist working every week (And I know that you mentioned to have a LOR from your pharmacist or it looks so bad). I have a total of about 60 volunteer hours in the pharmacy, though I have way more hours working with underpriveleged kids in my neighborhood (about 3 years). I got accepted at a school, but my interview at my number one school is next week and I'm anxious and wondering if I have enough pharmacy experience. Thanks!

At this point, with an interview next week (and having already been admitted to another school), there's not much you can do if you wanted to. I think the experience you have is great and I would hope that during the interview you use it to your advantage. You should be okay (and probably much better than okay). Good luck.

Hey Admissions,

As an older student, who hasn't taken prereq's in almost five years, do you think that I should retake any courses this summer to prepare for pharmacy school or is the P1 year largely review. Kind of nervous, looked in a Chemistry book and couldn't recall alot of info. Just want to be prepared, any advice will be appreicated.

Thanks

It sounds like you have been admitted to pharmacy school already. If that is correct, it means that you probably fared adequately on the PCAT. If your PCAT Chem was acceptable to you (let's say > 50), I wouldn't worry about it.

However, taking a refresher course online or at a CC that might let you take it pass/fail might be advantageous. If you are uncomfortable with the material, pharmacy school could be a bit arduous and stressful. If you think that will be the case, no harm reviewing this summer.

Admission,

I'm on the wait list top 50 for USN. I don't know what is my chance of getting in. On the letter they sent me it said I must submit spring transcript because the completion of courses might put me in a higher rank. However, I think I might get 1-2 C this spring,1 lab + 1 lecture, both of them are in the prereg. So I don't know if I should send them my transcript. If I do, will the scores lower my rank instead of raising my rank?

Thank you

Admission,

I'm on the wait list top 50 for USN. I don't know what is my chance of getting in. On the letter they sent me it said I must submit spring transcript because the completion of courses might put me in a higher rank. However, I think I might get 1-2 C this spring,1 lab + 1 lecture, both of them are in the prereg. So I don't know if I should send them my transcript. If I do, will the scores lower my rank instead of raising my rank?

Thank you

If the courses in question are prereqs, you will need to send them the transcript regardless. I always encourage applicants to provide whatever the institution requests.

Members don't see this ad :)
The question of online courses has come up a lot this week in the Forums in general...I was told the same thing from pharmacy schools that you just told this poster--online coursework can be used to update / refresh coursework. This is also my issue. I took all the pre-reqs almost 10 years ago, and the schools stated that the online courses were fine as long as i had previously demonstrated proficiency with the lab component at some point in time (i.e., taking the lab face-to-face, and NOT online)...I have separate grades on my transcripts for my lecture and lab for my science courses, so some schools advised me to take the lecture-only portion if possible of the online courses...

It sounds like you have been admitted to pharmacy school already. If that is correct, it means that you probably fared adequately on the PCAT. If your PCAT Chem was acceptable to you (let's say > 50), I wouldn't worry about it.

However, taking a refresher course online or at a CC that might let you take it pass/fail might be advantageous. If you are uncomfortable with the material, pharmacy school could be a bit arduous and stressful. If you think that will be the case, no harm reviewing this summer.

Admissions,

I am seriously toying with the idea that I should go to the school where I feel that's the best 'fit' for me. Not to knock on my university, but living and going to school in Detroit has definitely taken its toll and I am thinking about going to Midwestern CCP. If you look at the numbers, Wayne is the 'better' school, but I read today that the rankings are based on research funding and student opinions. I'm not looking into getting into research post-grad despite my experience. Plus, it seems that U of M gets ahold of most of the post-graduate residencies in the state of Michigan. I do not plan on practicing in this state, and I was told by a user here that I would likely find a job in my desired state (Illinois) if I went to their in-state school. What's keeping me back are my really strict Asian parents (though my Father is more open now) and the fact that tuition over there is ridiculously expensive.

Anyway, I am in need of advice: go with prestige and suck it up for another 4 years (with cheaper tuition/living expenses) or go to the less renowned school where it just feels 'right'?

Admissions,

I'm planning on taking the PCAT this coming August, but I have yet to take Calculus and O Chem II( 2/3 classes left for pre-req). I'm planning to take these two classes this summer in preparation for the test. Will this be frown upon by the admission committee? Also I've made a C in Bio I, should I retake the class or move on to upper bio classes? thank you!

Admissions,

I am seriously toying with the idea that I should go to the school where I feel that's the best 'fit' for me. Not to knock on my university, but living and going to school in Detroit has definitely taken its toll and I am thinking about going to Midwestern CCP. If you look at the numbers, Wayne is the 'better' school, but I read today that the rankings are based on research funding and student opinions. I'm not looking into getting into research post-grad despite my experience. Plus, it seems that U of M gets ahold of most of the post-graduate residencies in the state of Michigan. I do not plan on practicing in this state, and I was told by a user here that I would likely find a job in my desired state (Illinois) if I went to their in-state school. What's keeping me back are my really strict Asian parents (though my Father is more open now) and the fact that tuition over there is ridiculously expensive.

Anyway, I am in need of advice: go with prestige and suck it up for another 4 years (with cheaper tuition/living expenses) or go to the less renowned school where it just feels 'right'?

Generally speaking, I would discourage a student from using prestige when determining where a prospective student best "fits". As you mentioned, the criteria used for ranking a school is unsually inconsequential to most pharmacy students. My suggestion would be to go school where you want to spend the next four year of your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Admissions,

I'm planning on taking the PCAT this coming August, but I have yet to take Calculus and O Chem II( 2/3 classes left for pre-req). I'm planning to take these two classes this summer in preparation for the test. Will this be frown upon by the admission committee? Also I've made a C in Bio I, should I retake the class or move on to upper bio classes? thank you!

I think to achieve your best possible score on the PCAT, it would behoove you to have completed Orgo and Calc prior to taking the test. Without knowing more about your grades, I think it would be wise to take the classes in the summer and prepare for the PCAT.

I would discourage retaking Bio unless the grade reflects lack of comprehension. If you feel like you know the material well enough to move on to a more difficult course, do so. If you are not prepared for a more difficult course because you didn't understand Bio very well, then retake Bio. You don't want to score poorly in future advanced courses because the initial Bio material was too difficult and you didn't retake the course.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Besides not finishing all the pre-requisites, what are some other things that can cause the school to rescind its acceptance?

Last edited:
Besides not finishing all the pre-requisites, what are some other things that can cause the school to rescind its acceptance?

Good question and one I don't have experience with, frankly. If they've accepted you and you have a letter from them stating as such, not much that I can think of. No finishing or failing prereqs would be the big one. Being convicted of a drug related offense or some other violation of a student code would probably do it also.

hey admissions, I am an older pre-pharm student with lots of experience, CPhT lots of EC's. I went to a 4 yr institution from 96-00 full and part time. I didnt do well in my science classes,because i worked full time most of the time and had really bad personal issues. my gpa was a 2.70 I am going to retake my pre-reqs because my courses will be 10yrs next year. I am going to start in the fall at a CC. I know my grades will be better because i have set myself up financially to persue pharmacy and also i dont have the personal issues i had back then. How badly would my previous grades hurt my chances of getting accepted to pharm school since there is going to be a 10 yr lapse. These grades are also going to be factored in the pharmcas gpa, and it will lower my overall gpa. And also, i was wondering if i should consider just doing the science and math courses over because the other pre-reqs are A's and B's......please help!

hey admissions, I am an older pre-pharm student with lots of experience, CPhT lots of EC's. I went to a 4 yr institution from 96-00 full and part time. I didnt do well in my science classes,because i worked full time most of the time and had really bad personal issues. my gpa was a 2.70 I am going to retake my pre-reqs because my courses will be 10yrs next year. I am going to start in the fall at a CC. I know my grades will be better because i have set myself up financially to persue pharmacy and also i dont have the personal issues i had back then. How badly would my previous grades hurt my chances of getting accepted to pharm school since there is going to be a 10 yr lapse. These grades are also going to be factored in the pharmcas gpa, and it will lower my overall gpa. And also, i was wondering if i should consider just doing the science and math courses over because the other pre-reqs are A's and B's......please help!

If the school(s) you are applying to will accept old courses for prereqs and you are satisfied with the grades, I wouldn't recommend retaking them. However, you are going to need to address your poor grades in science courses in your statement. I am sure that I spoke on this topic somewhere in the thread, but do well in your new science courses. Do well on your PCATs. Get pharmacy experience if you can (and a LOR). Then in your personal statement, use all of the aforementioned things to your advantage. Point out your maturity, drive, focus, and ability to succeed in your new career choice despite troubles early in your academic career.

I have seen many cases similar to yours. Some applicants do well and some crash and burn. PM if you have questions.

Best of luck.

Each school I was accepted to provided their own guidelines. For instance, you must complete any remaining pre-reqs with a grade of ___ or better (in my case, C-!).

I am applying for pharmacy college and am having trouble getting a transcript from the college I was previously attending. If I get 120 credits from a new college without transfering the credits I earned from the previous college is there any way my pharmacy college will know that I was attending the college , and thereby require a transcript from the college or can I let it slide without them realizing.

Note there is no indication on my current transcript of me attending a previous college.

I am applying for pharmacy college and am having trouble getting a transcript from the college I was previously attending. If I get 120 credits from a new college without transfering the credits I earned from the previous college is there any way my pharmacy college will know that I was attending the college , and thereby require a transcript from the college or can I let it slide without them realizing.

Note there is no indication on my current transcript of me attending a previous college.

I am attaching a link to the PharmCas Applicant Checklist. You do not need to possess a hard copy of your transcript. Instead, simply utilize the PharmCas transcript request form. I would never encourage letting something "slide by without them realizing".

http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/CHECKLIST%200809.pdf

If you applying to a school that dose not utilize PharmCas, I suggest you contact them directly to see how they recommend handling an issue with obtaining transcripts. Again, I would not "let it slide".

Obviously, failing to complete the prereqs by the school's specified deadline or receiving a grade lower than C gives a school the right to rescind its offer of admission. As admissions mentioned, breaking the code of conduct or having something really bad show up on your criminal background could cause you to lose your spot. Aside from those things, some schools have specific deadlines for health information, etc. (HepB shots, health forms) and if they are not met by the deadline then you could also lose your spot.

i have a question that i can't find a good answer to.
i don't have pharmacy experience, and every pharmacy i called refused to let me shadow. one of my options is to volunteer at a hospital but they don't allow volunteers in the pharmacy department, so i am thinking about the Emergency room. is this a good idea? what else can i do to get pharmacy experience?

thanks

i don't have pharmacy experience, and every pharmacy i called refused to let me shadow. one of my options is to volunteer at a hospital but they don't allow volunteers in the pharmacy department, so i am thinking about the Emergency room. is this a good idea? what else can i do to get pharmacy experience?

thanks

I'm not sure if you are in an urban or rural area, but there are usually quite a few pharmacies willing to have an interested student shadow. Find a local independent and ask them. They are probably more likely to agree than a corporate pharmacy.

If there is a school of pharmacy in your area, contact the school and ask if they could put you in contact with an alum who would be willing to allow a prospective student to shadow.

As far as I am concerned, volunteering in an ER room wouldn't hold much value. Better than nothing? Maybe. However, I think if you go the extra mile you can find a pharmacist willing to help.

thanks

I think the greatest concern of having a volunteer in a retail pharmacy is the fear of drug theft. Independent pharmacies are more willing to accept volunteers because they are understaffed and are more willing to have free help.

How do admissions committees view applicants with graduate degrees? I am currently working on my master's degree in biology and will be finished with the program soon. I don't have any pharmacy experience, but I do have healthcare experience from paid employment a few years ago. I'm worried that admissions committees won't take me seriously.

I think a masters or PhD helps your application. I would suggest you find a pharmacist to shadow, minimally. I don't know why you would feel that a committee wouldn't take you seriously. If your PCAT scores are acceptable, grades are adequate, and your LORs are helpful, it's up to your personal statement to make the case why you want to be a pharmacist. That is where you need to prove you are serious about the profession.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the excellent questions. Due to the large number of requests to review personal statements and transcripts, I decided to add add a separate blog where we can add some additional features quickly and easily. I am still happy to answer questions here as time permits.

I have a passion for pharmacy and seeing the dream realized for the many applicants (and thus, future pharmacists) makes every day worthwhile. If I can assist in any way, please ask.

Best of luck.

Lets start with some stats:

Applied to only one school which was the University of Minnesota (Duluth and Twin Cities) January 2009 and placed on the unranked waitlist.

Cumulative GPA: 3.3

PCAT: 23 (I know it's awful)

Degree: completed Bachelor's in Chemistry from a private college

Volunteer experience: 500+ hours

Pharmacy experience: retail, hospital and undergraduate research 5+
years

3 Letters of Recommendation: Chemistry professor who was my academic advisor, supervised my undergraduate researcher, and I was his teaching assistant. Pharmacy manager at my current employer. Lab manager at my school who assisted in my undergraduate research.

I am retaking the PCAT in June 2009 and am currently enrolled in a Kaplan prep course, I hope it goes a LOT better. I have also decided to look at schools outside of my area, I will be applying to a total of 10 schools.

What else can I do to improve my application before reapplying for Fall 2010? I appreciate any help, thanks!

Applied to only one school which was the University of Minnesota (Duluth and Twin Cities) January 2009 and placed on the unranked waitlist.

years

3 Letters of Recommendation: Chemistry professor who was my academic advisor, supervised my undergraduate researcher, and I was his teaching assistant. Pharmacy manager at my current employer. Lab manager at my school who assisted in my undergraduate research.

I am retaking the PCAT in June 2009 and am currently enrolled in a Kaplan prep course, I hope it goes a LOT better. I have also decided to look at schools outside of my area, I will be applying to a total of 10 schools.

What else can I do to improve my application before reapplying for Fall 2010? I appreciate any help, thanks!

Just to remind you: if your PCAT score goes up more than 50 points within a period of I believe it's 6 months, your score will automatically be cancelled...just something to think about.

Just to remind you: if your PCAT score goes up more than 50 points within a period of I believe it's 6 months, your score will automatically be cancelled...just something to think about.

You're horrible old score will be canceled or your new and GOOD score will be canceled?

You're horrible old score will be canceled or your new and GOOD score will be canceled?

The latter..your new, good score will be cancelled. It's too suspicious if it goes up by so much within such a short amount of time.

The latter..your new, good score will be cancelled. It's too suspicious if it goes up by so much within such a short amount of time.

I totally understand it is fishy if somebody jumped from 45 to 95 but getting a 70 after a dreadful 20 shouldn't be THAT outrageous. Perhaps, the person who earned the 20 didn't study...but now with proper and sufficient preparation, a 70 is quite tangible and might even be surpass[able].

I totally understand it is fishy if somebody jumped from 45 to 95 but getting a 70 after a dreadful 20 shouldn't be THAT outrageous. Perhaps, the person who earned the 20 didn't study...but now with proper and sufficient preparation, a 70 is quite tangible and might even be surpass[able].

As long as you can "prove" to Pearson that it's justifiable for your big increase, your new score may not be canceled. Check out their info packet for more details.

(Just a FUN question)
Admissions,

I know this question has nothing DIRECTLY related to the review process, but I just wanted to know what it is like to be in your shoes. If I were on the admissions committee, I would probably get tired of reading hundreds of personal letters and all these GPAs and numbers. Do you get tired after a while and just let some things slip? Finally, do you feel bad that some really eager and qualified applicants might get rejected because the reivew/interviewer might just be having a bad day?

When you open the file of an applicant, what is the FIRST thing you look at? I know this has NO importance to the whole process but, again, I'm just curious. Do you look at the GPA/PCAT or just go straight to the personal statement or even just start off reading their background? I know everybody is different, but what do YOU usually do? :)

years

The PCAT is what is keeping you out. Most schools have a minimum score just to review your file, so you probably didn't meet that requirement. You will need significant improvement - good luck.

(Just a FUN question)
Admissions,

I know this question has nothing DIRECTLY related to the review process, but I just wanted to know what it is like to be in your shoes. If I were on the admissions committee, I would probably get tired of reading hundreds of personal letters and all these GPAs and numbers. Do you get tired after a while and just let some things slip? Finally, do you feel bad that some really eager and qualified applicants might get rejected because the reivew/interviewer might just be having a bad day?

When you open the file of an applicant, what is the FIRST thing you look at? I know this has NO importance to the whole process but, again, I'm just curious. Do you look at the GPA/PCAT or just go straight to the personal statement or even just start off reading their background? I know everybody is different, but what do YOU usually do? :)

Good questions - I might copy this to the blog. I first look at PCAT/GPA, scores in core science classes (aka prereqs) and the school where they attended.

There is a fair amount of pressure on committee members to make sure they give the same effort during the interview and the applicant does preparing. However, you are right that we all have good/bad days. Hopefully, that doesn't impact the outcome.

And yes, the process does become burdensome at times, but the importance of the decision always makes the work worth it.

I know schools have different requirements, but generally speaking, what minimum score would one need to have to their file reviewed (just in a general sense).

The PCAT is what is keeping you out. Most schools have a minimum score just to review your file, so you probably didn't meet that requirement. You will need significant improvement - good luck.

I know schools have different requirements, but generally speaking, what minimum score would one need to have to their file reviewed (just in a general sense).

Unless the school specifically states a score on their website, I think it is safe to say that:

100% of PCAT composites < 30 are immediately rejected
80% of PCATs composites < 50 are immediately rejected

You may have a composite of 50, but if your scores are: V 99, R 99, B 20, C 10, Q 20 - you will probably be rejected also.

These aren't hard and fast rules, but pretty safe bets.

If you would like additional info, we did start a blog:
*removed*

Should I send a thank you note following a pharmacy school interview?

This question doesn't come up as often as I'd like, but someone sent it to the blog so I thought I would post it here as well. - *removed*

Some years ago, I received a thank you note or email from what seemed like most of the applicants that I personally interviewed. Today, however, I receive very few.

What I will point out though, is that I tend to remember those applicants who did send the note (which is the point, right?). On several occasions when discussing a file, I have heard a commitee member comment that they received a nice card or email from the applicant being discussed. While it might not sway anyone's opinion, for the time it took to send the note, I'd say it was worth it.

I might also add that if you have been working with someone in the admissions office closely, it would be very polite to send them a thank you email as well following an interview. Sometimes I think they get overlooked.

What I will point out though, is that I tend to remember those applicants who did send the note (which is the point, right?). On several occasions when discussing a file, I have heard a commitee member comment that they received a nice card or email from the applicant being discussed.

Wow. That is so incredibly lame.

See, personally, I'd be in contempt towards those that sent me a phony thank you card. It's obvious that they are doing it to try to get ahead and nothing else. If you let that sway you, then you'd get a class filled with snake oil salesmen that will put up any sort of facade to get ahead.

Hello, I would like to ask you some questions...

Here are my stats first.

1. Degree: BS in biology (UCI), MS in biochem and molecular biology (USC)
2. GPA: 2.9 in pre-req :( and 3.0 in overall :( for undergrad, 3.3 for master's
3. PCAT: 4 (writing), 99% (quant), 85% (biology), 80% (reading), chem and vocab were my weakest (not even 50 i guess T^T)
4. LOR: one from research lab professor at USC, one from clinical physician that I worked for, one from biochem professor at USC
5. Experience: worked at clinical pharmacy over 3 consecutive summers, 1 year research experience of parkinson's disease at USC (have 1 paper published)
6. Status of 2008-2009 application cycle:
applied to Creighton, Temple, SUNY, U of Florida
Accepted at Temple, wait-listed at SUNY and Creighton, never heard from U of Florida
(I was out of country until early nov 2008, so I coudln't apply to schools whose deadlines were earlier than that)

so, here's my questions.

1. Can having ms in biochem compensate my low pre-req gpa? (if it doesn't, can I retake it at CC? or is there any way to raise my pre-req gpa?)
2. Does having ms at USC give me an advantage when I apply to USC pharm school?

Thank you for reading

See, personally, I'd be in contempt towards those that sent me a phony thank you card.

I guess it may make a difference if the person who interviewed you is on the admissions committee. I interviewed several people and some sent me a thank you card. I did not even bother picking up them.

Hey Admissions

I read most of your responses in this thread and I found them very helpful. I know you said you wouldn't answer any more CC questions, but this one is not like any you've seen in this thread.

Right now I'm taking my pharmacy prerequisites at a CC, and I only have Ochem and a few bio classes left to take. I intend to transfer to a UC next fall and get a B.S. in either chemistry or biology. Since I'm going to finish my prereqs at a CC and I'm going to take challenging courses at a UC for my BS, how will the committee view my application?

I will not be taking prereqs at the UC, but I will still be taking science and math intensive courses there for my B.S. Will the pharmacy school look at those courses at all? How much will the grades I get in those courses weigh in the grand scheme of things?

Wow. That is so incredibly lame.

See, personally, I'd be in contempt towards those that sent me a phony thank you card. It's obvious that they are doing it to try to get ahead and nothing else. If you let that sway you, then you'd get a class filled with snake oil salesmen that will put up any sort of facade to get ahead.

When you are on a university admissions committee, I'd encourage you eliminate all the applicants who send thank you notes or emails. A very sound way of doing business, indeed. Hard to imagine someone might send a note because they were actually thankful for the time rather than simply trying to get ahead.

It is my opinion that a brief note/email of appreciation for the time of the interviewer is appropriate. The next time you are working at a community pharmacy, imagine nine customers in a row leave without so much as a word of thanks for your counseling. The tenth one was polite and appreciative. Which one will you remember?

You are applying to a professional school. I would encourage applicants to be professional.

so, here's my questions.

1. Can having ms in biochem compensate my low pre-req gpa? (if it doesn't, can I retake it at CC? or is there any way to raise my pre-req gpa?)
2. Does having ms at USC give me an advantage when I apply to USC pharm school?

Thank you for reading

1. Some committees will see that as a major plus, while others may not. You should use your statement to show having a MS makes you a better candidate. Unless your early prereq grades were awful, retaking them seems like a waste of time. However, if it has been many years since you have taken Orgo (or similar course) it couldn't hurt from a knowledge standpoint and might help on your PCATs if you retake the test. It sounds like Chem was a weak point on your PCAT - this is probably one of the first things a committee looks at. Retaking Orgo might help improve your PCAT Chem score and thus, improve your application.

2. I don't know the answer. I don't think it can hurt.