Have questions? Ask an Admissions Committee Member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've seen a few 99 composite PCATs rejected, but there is usually a reason. Are your grades in Orgo acceptable? When did you take your core science classes? Were your recommendations solid and from the "right" people?

I wouldn't retake the PCAT if it was from 2008/09, but I would strongly suggest gaining some pharmacy experience. It doesn't have to be a full or part time job, but shadowing a pharmacist for a few hours a week would certainly help and show that you are serious about the profession.

I got my acceptance today! Thanks for the advice, though - that was my feeling, too.

Members don't see this ad.

dear Admissions,
you say that some schools have already decided if they want you or not before the interview. Lets say they already want you and you totally bombed the interview. Can you go from accepted to rejected?

Members don't see this ad :)
dear Admissions,
you say that some schools have already decided if they want you or not before the interview. Lets say they already want you and you totally bombed the interview. Can you go from accepted to rejected?
i know you asked admissions, but of course you can be rejected based on an interview. Schools base a lot of emphasis on the interview.

I have to be honest and tell you I do not have experience with "group" interviews if you mean multiple applicants at the same time. However, most schools have screened the applicants long before the interview and know if they plan to admit you or not.

if they screened you ahead of the interview and plan to admit you, what kind of questions do they usually ask you during the interview? Just curious.

dear Admissions,

Oh yes. Seen it plenty of times. It almost breaks my heart when it happens. It's like watching a slow motion replay of a car ccident or train wreck. You want to shake the young man/woman and say, "You're screwing this up. Get your act together. All you need to do is follow the script and you're in." Alas, it doesn't work that way and every year a few are rejected for "cause".

To your second question: Depending on the school, it could be an open or closed interview. The interviewers may/may not have reviewed your file. If it is a closed intervew, those interviewing have no idea what the committee disucssed when reviewing your file - they simply offer their thoughts on the interview.

I would be interested to know what types of interviews are being conducted at other institutions if anyone wants to share. # of interviewers, length of interview, etc. Send me a PM if you'd prefer not to post here.

I would be interested to know what types of interviews are being conducted at other institutions if anyone wants to share. # of interviewers, length of interview, etc. Send me a PM if you'd prefer not to post here.

Hi :)

At my Pacific University (Oregon) interview, there were 2 interviewers (1 faculty member and 1 pharmacist that's on a advisory committee for the school). It was just me and the interviewers (i.e. not a group interview). My interview was 30 minutes long, and took place after all interviewees did a writing sample that took ~20 minutes. It was also closed-file. The questions weren't too terribly difficult, but they did make me think. At the end of it, I was free to ask any questions that I had, either related to the school's program/location, pharmacy practice in general, or about the interviewers.

What I really liked about the whole process was how I felt so welcome. It really seemed like everyone at Pacific wanted us all to succeed. They were so great at answering any and all questions that we had. It was as if they understood how nervous we all were, and they really tried to ease that. They even provided us light breakfast and lunch. :) Overall, I was really impressed. I am so happy that I will be going there this Fall as a member of the Class of 2012!

Do schools use a formula to decide who gets interviews, admitted, waitlisted, etc. If so, what kinds of factors and weights are used?

Oh yes. Seen it plenty of times. It almost breaks my heart when it happens. It's like watching a slow motion replay of a car ccident or train wreck. You want to shake the young man/woman and say, "You're screwing this up. Get your act together. All you need to do is follow the script and you're in." Alas, it doesn't work that way and every year a few are rejected for "cause".

How would one exactly mess up the interview that badly? Do they just not answer the questions and mumble and shuffle their feet? Are the answers not what you're looking for - ie. Q. Why pharmacy? A. For the money! I'm just curious if you had one foot in the door to the school, how could one mess it up so much. I can only assume by their application (if they were almost a definite in) that they are smart, is the kind of student the school is looking for, and can get their ideas across well, so it kindof boogles my mind how one can mess it up so...

Thanks!

To your second question: Depending on the school, it could be an open or closed interview. The interviewers may/may not have reviewed your file. If it is a closed intervew, those interviewing have no idea what the committee disucssed when reviewing your file - they simply offer their thoughts on the interview.

Admissions, et. al.:

Each institution crafts its interview process to fit the particular contours of its world; however, all SOPs must take the interview process seriously because it is a required element of maintaining one's ACPE accreditation. This requirement was established (and is being monitored) to serve the interests of applicants -- it has to move SOPs from making admissions decisions sight-unseen, using only GPAs, PCAT scores, and whatever mystery elements the institution might choose. The old days were not transparent, even sometimes to those within the SOP.

Belmont USOP's interview process begins with the assumption that we will only invite strongly competitive candidates (there's something compelling we've seen in the app that we think is an indicator of strength -- these include LORs, narratives, prior academics, service, etc.) for an on-campus interview. We respect that there is a significant time, cost, and emotional investment on the part of an applicant to come to Nashville (~70% this year from outside TN) to meet us. We do no one a favor by extending invitations as a favor to someone else, or worse, to set up bragging rights about the number of candidates we interview.

On average 40-60 candidates are invited for an interview day (depending on faculty availability). The day runs from 8-2:30 with a light breakfast and a huge lunch. We open with a 45 min overview of BU, our program, faculty, students, etc. Following, student complete 30 min blocks of 2 written essays (using about 2 doz prompts changes each cycle), 1-to-1, open-file interview with a faculty member, using a structured domain format tied to an assessment rubric. There is an campus tour block and a 1 hr lunch block with a different faculty member than with whom they have/will interview, and a current student joining a table (predetermined seating) for conversation and to answer questions (the students provide written impressions of each candidate at the table).

The day is busy. During the day, however, we believe that candidates get an accurate feel for BU, our program, our personnel, and our outlook on life. Our goal is to allow both sides in this process (BUSOP and candidates) think about decisions that lead to mutually-beneficial outcomes: best fit decisions. So far, it seems to be working, and I'm not seeing as many current students (or candidates who deposit) seeing BU as simply a stop in the road toward a job. I'm not seeing as many cynical, disgruntled students as in prior settings (particularly from the pre-interview days in pharmacy education).

Hope this info is what you were looking to find. You can always contact me off-list or via my office to learn more.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Assoc. Dean
Belmont USOP

Thanks Eric. As mentioned, I have been involved with a couple of different universities. Both of those institutions handled things similarly, so I find it interesting to see how other programs use their interview day.

How would one exactly mess up the interview that badly? Do they just not answer the questions and mumble and shuffle their feet? Are the answers not what you're looking for - ie. Q. Why pharmacy? A. For the money! I'm just curious if you had one foot in the door to the school, how could one mess it up so much. I can only assume by their application (if they were almost a definite in) that they are smart, is the kind of student the school is looking for, and can get their ideas across well, so it kindof boogles my mind how one can mess it up so...

Thanks!

I had my interview last friday and I think I bombed the interview. I was in the room with two other students and 3 interviewers. This was my first interview ever and I was very nervous. I couldn't think straight and couldn't think of the right answers at that time. And it didn't help that the other two students were perfectly calm and knew exactly what to say... :/
I really do think I can communicate well with others and would have no problem communicating both orally and in writing in a real pharmacy setting but the interview was just too nerve wracking for me do well. (sigh)

Thanks!

I think it's lack of communication skills. Without it, you can't convince the interviewers that you are exactly that person on paper as you have claimed. I used to be one of those, so I practiced hard. The key is how much you really want pharmacy, if you really do have passion, it shows. It also helps you focus and be calm in the whole process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Admissions,
I am on the waitlist for a school that I would love to go to. But the waitlist is unranked. How does this unranked waitlisting work? Do they actually rank you and do not disclose that information? Or do they actually review everyone on the list once a spot becomes available? I received the letter a bit later than some people that posted on this forum (the school is located in my town). I have no idea if the letter date is the same for all waitlisters or if they waitlist people as they go about reviewing the files. If that's the case, I would have to assume that I am at the bottom of the list. :xf:

I had my interview last friday and I think I bombed the interview. I was in the room with two other students and 3 interviewers. This was my first interview ever and I was very nervous. I couldn't think straight and couldn't think of the right answers at that time. And it didn't help that the other two students were perfectly calm and knew exactly what to say... :/
I really do think I can communicate well with others and would have no problem communicating both orally and in writing in a real pharmacy setting but the interview was just too nerve wracking for me do well. (sigh)

Many applicants are nervous during their interview and that understandable. I've never held a little anxiety against a young man or woman, although I sometimes expect "older" or "more mature" applicants to be a bit more polished. That's probably not fair, but maybe I have a different expectation level. Try to prepare for some of the things that you'd like to get across to the interviewer, but avoid sounding "rehearsed" if you can. Interviewing is a skill and can be improved.

Bauhinia - I sent you a PM regarding ranked vs. unranked alternate pools.

You probably did better than you think, and the other two students in the room are probably thinking exactly the same thing you are. Don't stress yourself out about it! Hopefully you will get to hear back from the school soon.

Colorado uses a closed interview with one faculty member and one student. It lasts about 20 minutes and they follow a script. They supplement this with a written essay and campus tour, as well as a short presentation on the program, so that the process takes all day. I didn't like that, since you lose a whole day on what is basically an hour's worth of actual interview.

Regis used what they call MMIs, or Multiple Mini-Interviews. I'm sure it was also closed. You sit in an office and the interviewers come to you. Each one brings a laminated card with a question or prompt on it. You get two mintues to read the question and six to discuss it with the interviewer. Then that person leaves and another comes in. There were eight questions in all. I liked this format because you get a new questioner every eight minutes so you can't totally bomb the interview all at once.

Many applicants are nervous during their interview and that understandable. I've never held a little anxiety against a young man or woman, although I sometimes expect "older" or "more mature" applicants to be a bit more polished. That's probably not fair, but maybe I have a different expectation level. Try to prepare for some of the things that you'd like to get across to the interviewer, but avoid sounding "rehearsed" if you can. Interviewing is a skill and can be improved.

Bauhinia - I sent you a PM regarding ranked vs. unranked alternate pools.

Dear Admission,

I was also put on the unranked wait-listed too. Will you explain to me what is the difference between ranked and unranked?
Thanks

After the interview, how long should we wait before contacting the Office of Admissions about our status? (in case things get lost in the mail, or other unforeseen situations, or of course, we just want to find out)

After the interview, how long should we wait before contacting the Office of Admissions about our status? (in case things get lost in the mail, or other unforeseen situations, or of course, we just want to find out)

Before you leave campus, I suggest that you ask someone in the admissions department when you should expect to hear something. If they tell you 10 days, don't call them before that time. If they say by May 1, don't call before that time.

Be respectful of their time and resources. If you really don't know and you've already interviewed, sned them an email.

lex: I will send you a PM

I was wondering about students who have messed up in their past. In my case, my old transcripts would raise many red flags. That was twenty years ago and I don't have a good excuse. I simply made poor decisions. Since then, I have decided to retake the old pre-reqs and have a recent 4.0 and a 99 PCAT. For people like me, how much does the old record factor into admissions decisions? Is there a certain point where enough time has passed that you only look at what a person has done recently?

Hi Admissions,
I am on the waitlist for a school that I would love to go to. But the waitlist is unranked. How does this unranked waitlisting work? Do they actually rank you and do not disclose that information? Or do they actually review everyone on the list once a spot becomes available? I received the letter a bit later than some people that posted on this forum (the school is located in my town). I have no idea if the letter date is the same for all waitlisters or if they waitlist people as they go about reviewing the files. If that's the case, I would have to assume that I am at the bottom of the list. :xf:

Hello admissions,
I was in a similar situation can you please explain it to me too.

I was wondering about students who have messed up in their past. In my case, my old transcripts would raise many red flags. That was twenty years ago and I don't have a good excuse. I simply made poor decisions. Since then, I have decided to retake the old pre-reqs and have a recent 4.0 and a 99 PCAT. For people like me, how much does the old record factor into admissions decisions? Is there a certain point where enough time has passed that you only look at what a person has done recently?

I tried to address this somwehere earlier in the thread. In short, use your personal statement to identify the concerns you had early in your academic career. Without doing so, you leave the reasons open for the interpretation of the committee (which you don't want to do). Provide letters of recommendation that show your aptitude, maturity, dedication or otherwise mute what issues you previously had.

Send me a PM if you have additional questions.

So lets say that just because I took some of my core science classes (namely gen. chem and organic chem.) at a community college you would basically just look over me because I did not take them at a four year university? Sounds exactly like the pretentious four year university I can not wait to get away from.

If you did your research, you would find out that three out of the four professors I had for gen chem and organic chem teach the exact same class at that bigger four year university, too. The legislature in my state requires all of those classes to be the exact same material with the same information given in the lectures as well as tested for on the exams. The teachers themselves even know that the material is exactly the same, yet the schools just like the one you represent do not seem to think so for some odd reason.

Yet I find it interesting that because I chose to spend 25% of what I could have spent at the four year university for the exact same class at a community college an admissions committee would just look over my application and say, "pfft, he took prereqs at a community college, our school is better than that." Not only did I do well in all of those classes, but probably even better than most, and I spent less money too.

So lets say that just because I took some of my core science classes (namely gen. chem and organic chem.) at a community college you would basically just look over me because I did not take them at a four year university? Sounds exactly like the pretentious four year university I can not wait to get away from.

If you did your research, you would find out that three out of the four professors I had for gen chem and organic chem teach the exact same class at that bigger four year university, too. The legislature in my state requires all of those classes to be the exact same material with the same information given in the lectures as well as tested for on the exams. The teachers themselves even know that the material is exactly the same, yet the schools just like the one you represent do not seem to think so for some odd reason.

Yet I find it interesting that because I chose to spend 25% of what I could have spent at the four year university for the exact same class at a community college an admissions committee would just look over my application and say, "pfft, he took prereqs at a community college, our school is better than that." Not only did I do well in all of those classes, but probably even better than most, and I spent less money too.

Thanks for you input. If you read the thread in its entirety, you would understand that the issue isn't where you took your courses, but if there was any appearance of "dodging" difficult courses during a standard school year in an effort to inflate one's GPA by taking Orgo (for example) during a summer session as a standalone course. Pharmacy school requires a student to take 16-18 hours of difficult, science heavy courses every semester. Showing that you can perform well in those classes under those circumstances is important to many committee members. Every committee member views issues such as these differently. I simply offered my perspective and advice - I am sorry if you find it "pretentious".

You may not like the information I am presenting here, but please understand I am answering in a manner to benefit the individual asking the question. I'll leave it at that.

Hello Admissions,

I am also waitlisted at a couple schools and wondering how hopeful I should be about it. Thanks

Hi! Could you sum up what you're looking for in a personal statement. Besides explanations of prior mediocrity, some of which I'll have to do also ;-) Perhaps you could also sum up what you're looking for in the LORs..What distinguishes an excellent, amazing one from a good one?

xo
Elle

Hello Admissions,

I am also waitlisted at a couple schools and wondering how hopeful I should be about it. Thanks

In the current economic environment, I would say being waitlisted at an "inexpensive" school means it is less likely that you will get in. If you are waitlisted at a "very expensive" school, it is plausible that said school may have some minor difficulties with applicants choosing to go a less expensive route and have more spots available if you can wait it out.

However, every school is different. I would advise contacting each school directly to inquire about the percentage of waitlisted students who are ultimately admitted.

Sounds exactly like the pretentious four year university I can not wait to get away from.

The irony is that if they read that, there'd probably a mutual loathing to get away from you. The admissions person was just trying to offer some insight, and from that you extrapolated a personal offense. Where will you go? a 3 year pharmacy school that isn't "stuck up" and has average people who don't have everything handed to them on a silver platter?

Last edited:
Hi! Could you sum up what you're looking for in a personal statement. Besides explanations of prior mediocrity, some of which I'll have to do also ;-) Perhaps you could also sum up what you're looking for in the LORs..What distinguishes an excellent, amazing one from a good one?

xo
Elle

I like to see a true personal statement. Why the applicant has chosen the profession and what they will do to add something positive to the world. I discourage applicants from getting too verbose. Say what you mean - mean what you say.

Letters of recommendation can propel or doom you. Choose them wisely. Asking a Chem TA who you've only known for one semester doesn't add much to your application. However, a professor or advisor who can speak to your aptitude and ability is worth a lot. If you work in a pharmacy, you must get a letter from an RP there.

Far too often I read LORs from people who do not know the applicant well and they state very clearly in the letter that they do not know the applicant well. This looks bad. Choose people who can vouch for your character and desire to become a pharmacist, but avoid friends and family at all costs.

I took all of my science courses at community college except Biochemsitry because it's a 300-level course. I had one B and the rest were A's, and I was granted an acceptance in my first attempt. But there is a difference between CC and, say, USC, and I think that's the point being made here. A 4.0 at Harvard is a little more prestigious than at any community college. A 3.5 probably is, too.

I took all of my science courses at community college except Biochemsitry because it's a 300-level course. I had one B and the rest were A's, and I was granted an acceptance in my first attempt. But there is a difference between CC and, say, USC, and I think that's the point being made here. A 4.0 at Harvard is a little more prestigious than at any community college. A 3.5 probably is, too.

Thank you for recognizing my point. As noted previously, we have accepted many CC students over the years and will continue to do so.

So in your personal statement, you can always try to mention why you decided to go to a community college. Maybe it's more financial, but it could also be because you have a sick family member that you chose to live closer to, so you could help them out. Maybe you can emphasize that even though you continued attending community college to save money, you moved out on your own to gain experience, and now you're ready to move across the country to pursue your pharmacy career.

I'm just making things up here, but if you have a good reason for going to community college, mention it if possible. You have to realize that some of the admissions committees will wonder why you didn't go to a 4-year school.

Part of interviewing and applying anywhere is selling yourself. If you can honestly and ethically make yourself look better, it's a goodidea to do so.

(Note: So I realized I'm not really replying to charfdorn, but just staying on the same topic. I directed this more to anyone that's worried about the fact they attended/are attending a community college).

Last edited:

Yes, your teachers may be more than qualified to teach the class at CC and do teach at a 4 year school, but the problem with taking the classes at a CC is that the students you are being compared to have likely underachieved in their previous academic career. Not all students at a CC are there merely to save money. Community colleges do serve to provide education to people who would not have otherwise made it into a 4 year school due to prior academic deficiencies. When grades are curved, you are compared to a different pool of students than you would have at a school that had tougher admissions standards. You know that the student pool is different, and so do the admissions committees. This is why CCs are given the status that they are. When you take all your "hard" classes at a CC, it sends up red flags that you are trying to play the system and get a higher grade being compared to less motivated students.

Yes, your teachers may be more than qualified to teach the class at CC and do teach at a 4 year school, but the problem with taking the classes at a CC is that the students you are being compared to have likely underachieved in their previous academic career. Not all students at a CC are there merely to save money. Community colleges do serve to provide education to people who would not have otherwise made it into a 4 year school due to prior academic deficiencies. When grades are curved, you are compared to a different pool of students than you would have at a school that had tougher admissions standards. You know that the student pool is different, and so do the admissions committees. This is why CCs are given the status that they are. When you take all your "hard" classes at a CC, it sends up red flags that you are trying to play the system and get a higher grade being compared to less motivated students.

I don't buy that generalization for a second, and I think it sucks that any adcom would. My General Chemistry class at ECC took the ACS standardized final, as did UB. Our average blew theirs out of the water, without any curve.

My Organic Chemistry professor teaches the course at both ECC and at UB. Again, sans curve, our average on tests blows theirs out of the water. And it's not even freakin' close. On every test so far, our average, pre-curve, has been at least 30-40 points higher.

Sorry, but you find just as many unmotivated students at a 4-year as you do at a community college. In fact, you may find less at a community college because CC students, as previously mentioned, often have financial difficulties. Many of them are going back to school, and aren't there on mommy and daddy's dollar. I can personally tell you that there's nobody in my Organic Chemistry class who is unmotivated. Those people washed out the first month of Gen Chem I.

Maybe my community college is the exception, but from being there, I can tell you that the students aiming for pharmacy aren't there to screw around and backdoor the system.

In all three of the general chemistry classes and all five of the organic chemistry classes that I took at the cc, not one single class had a curve.

Furthermore, as I stated, the class, according to state legislature, teaches to and tests from the exact same material. My professors who taught both at the cc and at the four year school said there was absoultely no difference between the two with the exception of what time of day the classes were offered. So by you saying that the student pool is different, you are wrong. It is the exact same, and by the same token, I am not only getting a grade better that most of my other cc couterparts, but those who also got the same grade, or otherwise, at the four year school.

I don't buy that generalization for a second, and I think it sucks that any adcom would.

Not only that, but they would be a hypocrite. If I told them, during their undergrad days that they could take the exact same class, taught by the same professor, just at a different school that cost 25% of what the other school cost, I bet they would have taken that deal. Anyone who says otherwise either likes to spend money just for the hell of it, or is extremely dense.

Now, I understand that not all cc and four year universities have this setup - where classes at the cc are equivalent to the four year schools to the degree in which I speak. However, those who are looking down upon someone taking classes at a cc without knowing that type of information are really making biased judgements because they do not know the facts. Even if it is a question of how rigorous their schedule was at the cc. Im assuming, as in my case, that those who have attended a cc also took a heavy science based curriculum. During my two years of gen chem and organic chem I mixed in thee units of physics, biochemistry, A&P, microbiology, and general biology. Even then, if there was a question as to how much one could have learned at a cc as compared to someone from a four year school, isnt that another way to use the PCAT results?

Maybe this CC vs. 4 year Uni. debate should be moved to a separate thread so we don't hijack this thread which has provided quite a bit of valuable advice. Would someone care to create a new one?

Maybe this CC vs. 4 year Uni. debate should be moved to a separate thread so we don't hijack this thread which has provided quite a bit of valuable advice. Would someone care to create a new one?

I was really just thinking the same thing, good thinking! I really do not want to hijack this thread because as stated, I think it is a good resource for those who have questions and this is not the place for a debate. I apologize for the temporary derailment.

I was really just thinking the same thing, good thinking! I really do not want to hijack this thread because as stated, I think it is a good resource for those who have questions and this is not the place for a debate. I apologize for the temporary derailment.

I apologize as well. I do have a question, though. In several of my interviews this year, I was asked to give an example of a time that I worked within a team and there was conflict. I really stumbled on this question because whenever I work in a team, one of two things happens-

1.) The team works together fine and we get the project done correctly.
2.) The other team members slack off and I push them to the side and do all the work myself because the job needs to be done, regardless of whether everybody wants to pitch in or not.

Either way, I let any sort of conflict just roll off my back and have completely forgotten about any disagreements within five minutes.

However, I didn't think either of those answers were very good answers, so I really strained to think of an example, and ultimately came up with what I feel, in retrospect, to be a very poor example. Would I have been better off being candid and telling them my kneejerk response, which was what I just told you, or is it a cardinal sin in an interview to tell them that you don't have an example at all?

In all three of the general chemistry classes and all five of the organic chemistry classes that I took at the cc, not one single class had a curve.

Furthermore, as I stated, the class, according to state legislature, teaches to and tests from the exact same material. My professors who taught both at the cc and at the four year school said there was absoultely no difference between the two with the exception of what time of day the classes were offered. So by you saying that the student pool is different, you are wrong. It is the exact same, and by the same token, I am not only getting a grade better that most of my other cc couterparts, but those who also got the same grade, or otherwise, at the four year school.

Not only that, but they would be a hypocrite. If I told them, during their undergrad days that they could take the exact same class, taught by the same professor, just at a different school that cost 25% of what the other school cost, I bet they would have taken that deal. Anyone who says otherwise either likes to spend money just for the hell of it, or is extremely dense.

Now, I understand that not all cc and four year universities have this setup - where classes at the cc are equivalent to the four year schools to the degree in which I speak. However, those who are looking down upon someone taking classes at a cc without knowing that type of information are really making biased judgements because they do not know the facts. Even if it is a question of how rigorous their schedule was at the cc. Im assuming, as in my case, that those who have attended a cc also took a heavy science based curriculum. During my two years of gen chem and organic chem I mixed in thee units of physics, biochemistry, A&P, microbiology, and general biology. Even then, if there was a question as to how much one could have learned at a cc as compared to someone from a four year school, isnt that another way to use the PCAT results?

I have heard that one reason for preference for 4-year university student versus a cc student is the ability to handle upper-division coursework. This provides additional information to the adcoms to see how students can handle a more intense level of coursework than just solely looking at the prereqs. With cc students, the adcoms are making decisions only based on the prereqs and there is no indication of how they would handle more advanced coursework. Still, getting a 3.7+ at a cc is not an easy task and hard work + perseverance will be recognized when adcoms review applications.

Just FYI "Admissions"...

University of Arkansas has the Multiple Mini Interviews also. they are held in mock exam rooms and you have two minutes to read the "topic" before you enter the room and begin the encounter. Everyone does three of them and I think everyone gets the same three topics..
I really liked that format better than other interviews I've had.

Admissions, thanks again for the input.

Again, thanks for the posts and PMs. I am going to avoid any further posts on the CC isue from this point forward. I suggest you contact the school to which you are applying if you have questions. As I said, course load and challenging oneself is as important as the school, whether a CC or a 4 yr school.

Back to the subjet of the thread: If you encounter a question in an interview to which you do not have a plauisble answer, it is okay to say as much. If you haven't encountered a challenge within a team, you can say, "I'm sorry, but I really don't have an example to offer." If this is the case, however, I would suggest selling yourself as a consensus builder or one who tries to facilitate a group toward a goal. Again, not every question has a right or wrong answer.

Just FYI "Admissions"...

University of Arkansas has the Multiple Mini Interviews also. they are held in mock exam rooms and you have two minutes to read the "topic" before you enter the room and begin the encounter. Everyone does three of them and I think everyone gets the same three topics..
I really liked that format better than other interviews I've had.

Admissions, thanks again for the input.

Ironically, although I like the MMIs better, Regis did not offer me a spot while the more traditional interview at CU got me in...

I know this is a rather broad question, but any imput would be greatly appreciated.

So, you stated you have worked with 2 universities in the admmission committee. Within these two universities, what is looked at first when evaluating an application? What is the most important factor? GPA? SAT/ACT? Classes taken?

Minnesota - partially open file. 1-on-1 interview. They knew degrees I have/working on, essays, campus selection choice. I don't think they knew grades. She asked some questions off of the form and some questions just to get to know me.

Midwestern IL & AZ - closed. Didn't seem to know anything except for names. Both were group interviews. IL was 6 interviewees and 2 interviewers. AZ was 3-on-3 (Mine was 3 interviewees and 2 interviewers, which I didn't like because it didn't give me a lot of time to formulate responses)

South - very open. There were 2 short 1-on1 interviews. 1 interviewer barely looked at my app and got to know me as a person and the other went line by line through my application.

Admissions - I was wondering if you could PM about the unranked waitlist. I'm just curious how that works.

Admissions - I was wondering if you could PM about the unranked waitlist. I'm just curious how that works.

I was placed on the unranked waitlist at the University of Minnesota. I am wondering if you could PM me about unranked waitlists as well.

Although I will not apply to pharmacy school until this summer, what so controversial about talking openly about open/closed waitlists on here? I'm curious about the subject but I don't need admissions to go through the trouble of copying and pasting the response through a PM from me.

Question for Admissions:

I started working in a previous health care field (paramedic) before becoming interested in pharmacy. I have shadowed quite a bit and have started working as a Tech while completing a BS degree. I am positive Pharmacy is for me. Would it look poorly to admissions if I let my paramedic certificate lapse? Or should I fork over the $500 to re-cert. I have about 5 years experience in EMS and don't plan on utilizing my certification anymore as my focus in solely pharmacy.

Thanks.

I know this is a rather broad question, but any imput would be greatly appreciated.

So, you stated you have worked with 2 universities in the admmission committee. Within these two universities, what is looked at first when evaluating an application? What is the most important factor? GPA? SAT/ACT? Classes taken?

Good question. I suppose every committee is different, but there is probably a screening process to "weed out" unqualified candidates based on low PCATs and/or GPAs. Therefore, those are probably the most important categories - the "gatekeeper" so to speak.