MD & DO Have Texas schools rejected anyone yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amerepedestrian

OMS-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted TMDSAS on 7/21, and it was transmitted 8/29. I still haven't heard about IIs or rejections from a single Texas school. I've gotten two OOS MD IIs and three OOS DO IIs as of a couple weeks ago, so I'm wondering how to interpret the radio silence from my home state at this point. I know it can take a while for them to get back to students, but it's odd to me that OOS schools would reach out first when I've heard time and time again that my best admissions chances are in Texas. My biggest question right now is: Has anyone been outright rejected from a Texas school yet before being invited to interview? I want a rough gauge of whether the lack of news is a positive sign for me (possibly if others have been rejected), neutral (put in a Maybe pile, or they just haven't gotten to review my app yet), or negative (marked for rejection, if that's a thing).

Here's some more information about me:

cGPA: 3.66
sGPA: 3.42

MCAT:
1x: 510
125, 128, 127, 130

Residency:
Texas Resident

Ethnicity:
White

Experiences:
> 2000 hours of clinical work experience
> 500 hours of volunteering
> 1000 hours of research
Officer of an organization
Several other positions of leadership
Lots of work experience in education

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe TCOM has hard rejections, but I’m not sure if there are any other Texas schools that send any form of hard rejection.

Reactions: 1 user
Silence or II is standard until thank you, but no thank you notifications are sent out in the Summer. Your app looks pretty middle-of-the-road and could be influenced by your recommendation letters as well as essays. You also applied mid-cycle. Hopefully a few TX schools give you an II, still a little early to be really worried.

Members don't see this ad :)
Silence or II is standard until thank you, but no thank you notifications are sent out in the Summer. Your app looks pretty middle-of-the-road and could be influenced by your recommendation letters as well as essays. You also applied mid-cycle. Hopefully a few TX schools give you an II, still a little early to be really worried.

To add a little to this:
I’ve heard multiple stories of people receiving multiple interviews in December after having not heard from anywhere prior. The only places I’d count out right now are the ones who have essentially booked interviews until January (UTSW and RGV as far as I’m aware).

To add a little to this:
I’ve heard multiple stories of people receiving multiple interviews in December after having not heard from anywhere prior. The only places I’d count out right now are the ones who have essentially booked interviews until January (UTSW and RGV as far as I’m aware).

Interesting, would you add UTSA to this mix. They just sent out another roung of IIs.

I submitted TMDSAS on 7/21, and it was transmitted 8/29. I still haven't heard about IIs or rejections from a single Texas school. I've gotten two OOS MD IIs and three OOS DO IIs as of a couple weeks ago, so I'm wondering how to interpret the radio silence from my home state at this point. I know it can take a while for them to get back to students, but it's odd to me that OOS schools would reach out first when I've heard time and time again that my best admissions chances are in Texas. My biggest question right now is: Has anyone been outright rejected from a Texas school yet before being invited to interview? I want a rough gauge of whether the lack of news is a positive sign for me (possibly if others have been rejected), neutral (put in a Maybe pile, or they just haven't gotten to review my app yet), or negative (marked for rejection, if that's a thing).

MCAT:
125, 128, 127, 130

Residency:
Texas Resident

Ethnicity:
White

Experiences:
> 1000 hours of research

I am pretty much in the exact same situation as you except that my stats are a bit lower (508 MCAT and 3.53 GPA). I transmitted at the end of August, but I have only heard back from TCOM for an II and a few OOS schools that rejected me because they only take people from their states. I am not sure what to think at this point because others are getting interviews.

If anyone knows if receiving an II from a DO school is a good sign for MDs as well. I just dont know.

MCAT:
125, 128, 127, 130

Residency:
Texas Resident

Ethnicity:
White

Experiences:
> 1000 hours of research

What OOS schools did you apply to? Just Curious.

What OOS schools did you apply to? Just Curious.
I applied to most OOS schools for which at least one of my stats (GPA or MCAT) approximated the matriculant mean and whose mission closely matched my career goals/philosophies. This totaled around 30 MDs and 10 DOs. Right now I have interviews at UMass, U Arizona, AZCOM, Kansas City COM, Nova Southeastern, and UIW (in Texas—recent news!)

To add a little to this:

Interesting! UTSW does not surprise me, but what makes UTRGV so popular (or whichever main factor makes their interviews so booked up already?) Asked with the utmost respect—I know it’s a great school. I’m just not sure why I’m not hearing this about Tech or UTMB, for example.

@USERX again:

Congrats on the TCOM II! I’m seriously anxious about getting one—it’s one of my top choices by far. It makes me antsy that you got one when your application was transmitted around the same time and I’ve heard nothing from them—when did you get the invite, if you don’t mind me asking?

I think if your essays match the MD missions, you shouldn’t give up hope yet, especially if they are passionate about holistic review. And OOS DOs are still completely fair game at this point in the application cycle, IMO, if you haven’t applied to many of those or weren’t planning to.

@USERX again:

Congrats on the TCOM II! I’m seriously anxious about getting one—it’s one of my top choices by far. It makes me antsy that you got one when your application was transmitted around the same time and I’ve heard nothing from them—when did you get the invite, if you don’t mind me asking?

I think if your essays match the MD missions, you shouldn’t give up hope yet, especially if they are passionate about holistic review. And OOS DOs are still completely fair game at this point in the application cycle, IMO, if you haven’t applied to many of those or weren’t planning to.

I didn't apply to any OOS DO schools. I got the II about 3 weeks ago. So you haven't heard from any MD programs?

Interesting, would you add UTSA to this mix. They just sent out another roung of IIs.

UTSA is still going to be sending out interviews. Last year a batch of II's was sent out up until Nov 29th.

I didn't apply to any OOS DO schools. I got the II about 3 weeks ago. So you haven't heard from any MD programs?
Hmm...That concerns me (3 weeks is a hefty amount of time), but I know they have their ways! My pre-med advisor seemed to think I had a good chance of getting a TCOM II, but I know so much of this is unpredictable. I will just have to wait and see :(

Nope! I have the 2 OOS MD interviews (one completed), 3 OOS DO interviews and one IS DO interview coming up, but I haven't heard a thing from TX MDs or TCOM. Just going to have to bide my time...I just don't know why TX schools would take longer to reach out than OOS MD. *shrug*

Hmm...That concerns me (3 weeks is a hefty amount of time), but I know they have their ways! My pre-med advisor seemed to think I had a good chance of getting a TCOM II, but I know so much of this is unpredictable. I will just have to wait and see :(

Nope! I have the 2 OOS MD interviews (one completed), 3 OOS DO interviews and one IS DO interview coming up, but I haven't heard a thing from TX MDs or TCOM. Just going to have to bide my time...I just don't know why TX schools would take longer to reach out than OOS MD. *shrug*

I had three relatively early TX interviews and silence since. I hear some people get multiple IIs in November/December

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
I had three relatively early TX interviews and silence since. I hear some people get multiple IIs in November/December

I certainly hope so! I've given up on October already. :(

I think they are doing it right and reviewing applicants more holistically. I also feel like my secondary was strong for DO programs. It does seem like you have a lot of volunteer hours although I don't know the details. Hope you get an interview soon.

Also, people told me I have a good chance of getting into MD in Texas and so far I dont have any IIs xD...really gotta take it at face value.

Thanks for sharing! Yeah, I’m hoping the latter is more of a rule than an anomaly and I still have a good chance!

I think they are doing it right and reviewing applicants more holistically. I also feel like my secondary was strong for DO programs. It does seem like you have a lot of volunteer hours although I don't know the details. Hope you get an interview soon.

Also, people told me I have a good chance of getting into MD in Texas and so far I dont have any IIs xD...really gotta take it at face value.

Yeah, I feel the same about my DO chances; I have had a lot of unique volunteering experience (like being a suicide crisis interventionist) and clinical experience with DOs, so it’s really a mystery to me why holistic review wouldn’t favor me. I know my stats aren’t the best, but the other stuff is strong...

True—no one can really predict how this is going to go for anyone!

Good luck to you! Thanks for sharing!