Have you ever been to an interview...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singing Devil

Displaced Southerner
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...without a suit? Say, jeans and a college sweatshirt?

I did. Yesterday.

thanks, USAirways, for losing my luggage!

The people at Pitt didn't seem to mind so much; maybe it will actually help me stand out.

Still, it was absolutely my worst nightmare.

Members don't see this ad.

Singing Devil said:

I did. Yesterday.

The people at Pitt didn't seem to mind so much; maybe it will actually help me stand out.

my friend has, for every single one of her interviews! she's applying to grad school though.

Honestly, I don't understand why pre-med students have to be so dressy for interviews. It seems pretentious and unecessary to me

Not to mention doctors are some of the worst-dressed people anyway :D

Singing Devil said:

I did. Yesterday.

I'm sure they understood, but in the future you may want to get a garment bag you can carry on.

Members don't see this ad :)
funshine said:
my friend has, for every single one of her interviews! she's applying to grad school though.

Honestly, I don't understand why pre-med students have to be so dressy for interviews. It seems pretentious and unecessary to me

Not to mention doctors are some of the worst-dressed people anyway :D

incorrect, researchers are some of the worst dressed people; the PI in the lab next to me only has tshirts with holes in the back; he says it doesnt count b.c the hole is on the back of the shirt! Doc's meet patients and it's important they are groomed, and they are

Haybrant said:
incorrect, researchers are some of the worst dressed people; the PI in the lab next to me only has tshirts with holes in the back; he says it doesnt count b.c the hole is on the back of the shirt! Doc's meet patients and it's important they are groomed, and they are

:laugh: true. my lab is the same. although our profs/PIs are always well-dressed.

As for doctors, I figured they always wore those clean-looking white coats that it didn't matter what they wore underneath.

Singing Devil said:

I did. Yesterday.

hence why i take all my luggage as carry-on items :laugh:

but i'm sure they understand and have had other interviewees with the same problem

welll well.... the doc I shadowed is one of the best dressed people i know. I'm talkin about french cut shirts, vests, cuff links. the works. even italian shoes. one day....one day.....

A good friend of mine went to an interview and wore a nice sweater and slacks. He didn't get in there.

Singing Devil said:

I did. Yesterday.

Sorry to hear about that, SD. I have flown to a couple interviews myself and am so paranoid of the airlines losing my luggage that I make sure to carry my suit with me as a carry-on. On one flight, there was no room in the overhead compartment and I had to check it with the flight attendant. The whole flight I was just thinking "please don't lose my suit, please don't lose my suit!" If you absolutely must check your bags, it's definitely a good idea to put some khakis and a dress shirt/shoes in your carry-on just so that, if worse comes to worse, you won't be forced to go to the interview in your levi's. But as other posters have mentioned, I am sure this has happened before and at the very least they may remember you a little better.

virilep said:
welll well.... the doc I shadowed is one of the best dressed people i know. I'm talkin about french cut shirts, vests, cuff links. the works. even italian shoes. one day....one day.....

Definetely one day ~ minus the vest part!

One of my best friends flew to Michigan for his Wayne State medical school interview. Apparently, while in his hotel the night b/f his interview, he couldn't find the pants for his interview suit :eek: Without going into too much detail, he almost had a heart attack. He strolled into his interview the next morning with his interview jacket, white collar shirt, tie, and a pair of baggy jeans :laugh: Although he received many many many unpleasant stares from the interviewees, and even his interviewer, he hit a home run! Several weeks later, he was accepted to Wayne State :clap: :clap:

Although interview attire is important aspect of the process, it clearly isn't the most important. It did not impede my friend's ability to get into Wayne State :)

Singing Devil said:

I did. Yesterday.

i am so glad i saw this thread b/c i am flying to washington for an interview tonight - i will be carrying on now thank you very much!

sorry about what happened SD, what a way to make you stick out in their memories though! can be a good thing!

i've been to three interviews and at every one i've been the only one not wearing a suit. still i dont feel comfortable in them and i dont think i will change my habits. i'm not a suit person, more of a blazer and slacks person. if they don't like it, whatever, they can go to hell.

Singing Devil said:

I did. Yesterday.

When I was at my interview at VCU, one guy came in with cargo pants and a sweatshirt. We all thought he was being "original" or just didn't care. Then he explained that USAirways, (the same airline I flew although I flew out of San Diego and he flew out of LA) had lost his luggage. I think he arrived late the night before so he didn't have time to go get a suit. The adcoms at VCU were VERY understanding and even laughed about it and it sure made him memorable. At least to me!

If that person ever reads this or comes across this, I hope they eventually found your luggage!

Don't fly US Airways!