Haven't heard anything from any of my schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PizzaButt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything from any of my schools--no rejections, no interview invitations, nothing. My deadlines were all Dec. 15 and Jan. 1.

I'm a non-traditional applicant--JD degree.

Anyhow, should I just assume that since I have not heard anything at all, that I have been rejected from all my schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of January 1st schools that have yet to make any decisions, so I wouldn't give up just yet.

I've been following your story. I'm really pulling for you!

I can't remember for sure, but I believe my school has a Dec. 15th deadline and we haven't sent out invitations for interviews yet as far as I know. It was my earliest of the 3 I had last year, so I'm sure we are not the only ones.

I know its hard, but be patient:) Its still wayyyy too early to assume you won't get any interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyhow, should I just assume that since I have not heard anything at all, that I have been rejected from all my schools?

NO.

As I posted in another thread, my adviser hasn't even looked at applications to our lab yet. No interviews have been scheduled yet. A Dec. deadline doesn't mean much-- it's a rare prof who's going to take a break from end-of-term craziness to peruse applications. They're not going to look at anything until Jan.

I think at this time last year I'd heard from one school.

I know it's super stressful, but honestly it's still early.

Waaiiting is the haaaardest part....

No one has heard from Stanford yet (to my knowledge) and their deadline was Nov 27th. Like you, I haven't heard anything from my schools and I have no idea when I will begin to hear.

To pass the time, I have picked up a 'healthy' drinking habit to regulate my anxiety. I hope to enter rehab just as soon as I hear back from anyone! :D

As others have already advised, I wouldn't panic just yet. My school's deadline was December 15th, and we were just notified that invites would not go out until this next Friday. This is actually a bit later than what they sent them out last year, but they made some major changes to the whole process and then they've been handling faculty interviews the past few months as well. Very hectic/stressful for everyone involved, not just the applicants.

G'luck! :luck:

Im also a post JD applicant!!

Applied in NY for schools with deadlines on 12/15 and 1/1, have only heard from one school so far. Some of the schools only finished processing the applications last week, some havent yet.

I wouldn't be worried (yet, anyway) if I were you.

I agree; it's still too early to give up hope! I got 2/3 of my interview invites the last week in January and the first week in February. I think that's probably when most of them start sending out. Plus, a number of schools make something akin to rolling invites. They'll invite 20 people one week, and then 20 the next week.

To pass the time, I have picked up a 'healthy' drinking habit to regulate my anxiety. I hope to enter rehab just as soon as I hear back from anyone! :D

LOL! At least you'll have about 5-6 months to sober up before you enter another stressful world of grad school.

Quick question

"JD degree" :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

JD as in juris doctorate? If you are a lawyer, i'm not sure why you need to become a psychologist.

Of course you probably don't mean that, so what do you mean. Explain yourself!

Quick question

JD as in juris doctorate? If you are a lawyer, i'm not sure why you need to become a psychologist.

There is more to a career than money/prestige. I left a career that afforded me a much higher income potential than clinical, though it had a very limited ability to meet my other needs, such as enjoyment and consistent intellectual challenges. There is always the option to always go back (to the previous career), but rarely the option to always pursue a new one (time, commitments, etc).

-t

LOL! At least you'll have about 5-6 months to sober up before you enter another stressful world of grad school.

Indeed! It's all part of the plan....:D

You should strongly consider it!

Quick question

I have to jump on T4C's bandwagon. I left the IT field where I regularly would consult for $150-$250 an hour doing network security work. I won't see that as a Ph.D. psychologist right out of school, but I won't be poor either, near as I can project I should be making around $40-50 an hour when I head into internship.

So it's not all about the money. I wasn't unhappy in IT, but I wasn't happy either. So I decided to go after what I wanted to do, even if in pure $$$ it wasn't the best move. Of course, this gives me a route to retirement and medical insurance for life that would have been unavailable to me as a consultant. The military option was all about planning for my future retirement. Psychology was all about the challenges and my love of the discipline itself. Just happened to all come together into one nice tidy package.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question

Yep that's what it means.

Everybody has different "needs."

Yep that's what it means.

Everybody has different "needs."

Oh, i was just kidding. I thought it meant something pertaining to psychology. I didn't think the most likely explanation for what he meant was that he is a lawyer. I guess i was wrong...and right.

I haven't heard anything from any of my schools--no rejections, no interview invitations, nothing. My deadlines were all Dec. 15 and Jan. 1.

I'm a non-traditional applicant--JD degree.

....back on topic... It is still definitely early. This week and next week will probably see a LOT of invites come in. I heard from my very first school on Friday and I'm still waiting for 12 of the 14 schools I applied to even though my first deadline was Nov. 15 -- The one school I heard from had a Jan. 10 deadline.:p As far as I know, nobody has heard from the school w/Nov. 15 deadline (*knocks on wood*).

Anyway, it's still early, don't give up! Some schools won't look at apps til after the new year regardless of when their deadline is and some schools haven't even touched the applications yet. Either way - best of luck!!! :luck: Let us know how it goes :)

I haven't heard from any of my schools either. I am a JD also. I am also a ***** who gave up an invitation to a solid PhD program in the fall of 2006 because I didn't want to move from Colorado to central Florida. No, there was a lot more than that, but it was basically that circumstances changed and I couldn't do it. Best laid plans... Anyway, I am pretty much beating myself up continously about that, but what do you do.

Good luck to you on your applications. After killing myself to get in to graduate school in a year between 2005-2006 by cramming for the GRE, taking prereqs and getting research experience all while working as an attorney, I realized that I was really stupid to rush. It really doesn't matter to me that I am 2 years older. Life sometimes intervenes and it may not be the right time for you. Lots of things can happen. I guess I will just keep applying until my professors refuse to write me letters of recommendation...which I imagine won't be long from now.:laugh:

Good luck!

I haven't heard a word from any of my schools yet... I know from the Interview Invites thread that some of my schools have already started to send out invitations, but I don't want to give up just yet since I don't have official confirmation that I'm out. Good luck to everyone!:oops:

Well, I got an interview invite! I was very shocked about that, seeing as my math GRE score is really, really low. I mean really low.

Anyhow, when you get to the interview stage, how much have your chances improved, in general, from the application stage? Meaning, how much have the odds increased that you'll get in? I wasn't able to find any info about this on my particular school.

Anyhow, I am really excited and am starting to prepare for the interview.

Well, I got an interview invite! I was very shocked about that, seeing as my math GRE score is really, really low. I mean really low.

Anyhow, when you get to the interview stage, how much have your chances improved, in general, from the application stage? Meaning, how much have the odds increased that you'll get in? I wasn't able to find any info about this on my particular school.

Anyhow, I am really excited and am starting to prepare for the interview.

It really depends how many people your POI interviews. Typically they cut 80-90% of the apps pre-interview, so you may have a 1 in 4 or 5 shot, though YMMV.

I still haven't heard anything from anyone.

I felt pretty good at first - the first of my 11 schools to make contact offered me an interview. Now the rest are coming in and I was passed over for one of the most competitive and may not have received an invite for one i really thought I had a shot at (and i found out ETS messed up my GRE's AGAIN, possibly putting me out of the running for one school). 7-8 to go...

I guess I should have posted my earlier rant on the interview invite thread on this thread instead...

I get so worn out hearing about how someone got a 6th interview this week and how will they EVER make the decision between the ones on the same date? Ugh. Good for them, sucky for me! I still haven't heard anything, and I know it's not over yet, but it isn't looking good.

And all that junk about people getting offers until April 15th blah blah blah- I got close to that last year, and it still didn't work out for me! I'm just sickened by the idea that I may never be a clinical psychologist...I know a few others of you who are feeling the same way, and I just can't express how badly I feel for others in the same situation. It just sucks.

What do you think has been holding you back? GRE? GPA? Not enough research experience? No senior thesis or master's thesis? I know it's difficult to face rejection yet again --- is this your second or third try --- but one thing in your favor is your strong desire to become a psychologist. Put that energy to work by fixing what can be fixed and getting what you don't have and just otherwise making your case stronger for next year.

I guess I should have posted my earlier rant on the interview invite thread on this thread instead...

I get so worn out hearing about how someone got a 6th interview this week and how will they EVER make the decision between the ones on the same date? Ugh. Good for them, sucky for me! I still haven't heard anything, and I know it's not over yet, but it isn't looking good.

And all that junk about people getting offers until April 15th blah blah blah- I got close to that last year, and it still didn't work out for me! I'm just sickened by the idea that I may never be a clinical psychologist...I know a few others of you who are feeling the same way, and I just can't express how badly I feel for others in the same situation. It just sucks.

Not intending to upset anyone with what I am about to post. However I usually appreciate information to help me balance whatever distressful emotion I might be feeling....

One POI told me (reputable source), if we are going to get an invite, that we should be hearing back this month from our schools. Many schools send out rejections much later (after March). If we do not hear back from any school by the end of Feb or early March, then it is likely we will not be invited to interview.

That said, let us be reminded that whatever distress we are feeling now will likely be no worse than it is now, and will likely decrease in time as we forge ahead into March and Feb become a distant memory.

good luck. ;)

Not intending to upset anyone with what I am about to post. However I usually appreciate information to help me balance whatever distressful emotion I might be feeling....

One POI told me (reputable source), if we are going to get an invite, that we should be hearing back this month from our schools. Many schools send out rejections much later (after March). If we do not hear back from any school by the end of Feb or early March, then it is likely we will not be invited to interview.

That said, let us be reminded that whatever distress we are feeling now will likely be no worse than it is now, and will likely decrease in time as we forge ahead into March and Feb become a distant memory.

good luck. ;)

But also there are many others who get acceptance letters without ever going to interviews.

...but one thing in your favor is your strong desire to become a psychologist. Put that energy to work by fixing what can be fixed and getting what you don't have and just otherwise making your case stronger for next year.

This is my third time applying. There's only so much that can be done. I have a master's degree in a non-psychology area. I'm on my third year of clinical and research work. I'm getting to be old enough that it is less and less practical for me to be applying to school. Not to mention that I've probably spent $4000-$5000 on applying, and I can't imagine spending a couple thousand dollars more to do it again next year. I could've had a master's degree by now.

I'm sure you were trying to be helpful, socialcog- but it's not like the whole lot of us didn't know that if we don't hear back in February it's a bad sign. Third time I've applied- I'm pretty much on the up-and-up of when invites come and when they don't. I'm also an expert at knowing that this is not the worst time of the process. The worst, most devasting part is in April when you get kicked off every last waiting list and realize that it really is over and you have to once again, start over.

But also there are many others who get acceptance letters without ever going to interviews.

Amen, Adam.

And, I'm sure I willed it upon myself today with venting and all, but I got my first official rejection today from the University of Rochester, the earliest rejection I've ever received.