Having a baby during pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxqueen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anyone who's done this successfully? I'm getting up there in age (I'm 26) and I plan on attending pharmacy school this fall. I also want to have kids with my significant other. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's possible to have a baby while going to pharm school, but it's probably pretty darn stressful. If you attend a 3 year program I don't see it being possible...at all. There's probably better luck at a four year because you can plan the pregnancy for summertime. I don't know any women in my class who plan to be pregnant while still attending school. But there are some guy's whose wives have given birth recently, and it's hard on them too! Waking up at all hours of the night to calm your crying baby, taking time off of school to take your sick baby to the dr, studying for a test and getting distracted to play with your baby....it definitely will put a strain on your grades.
I just don't see how it would be possible to take care of a newborn baby while in school, with the significant other working, and living off student loans....even being pregnant for 9 months and working around office visits and school schedules - to me it sounds like a hassle. 26 is not that old.
This post sounds kind of harsh, and I'm sure a lot of people make it work. It's up to you to decide what you think you and your husband can handle. I know a lot of couples struggle with this decision and I don't think there's one right answer.

I seem to see a lot of people having kids right after school.

1) Finish school
2) Take job w/ sign on
3) Get some $
4) Get pregnant
5) Take materninty leave
6) Go back to job that's waiting for you, sic kids on dad.

I think that's much easier than trying to monkey around with it while you're in school... at least that's what my pharmacists seem to think. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a girl who had an unexpected pregnancy during school she got married and everything. Had the baby Oct of our 2nd year missed 2 days of class and came back immediately. I believer her husband doesn't work and her mom has come to take care of the baby. I do not suggest anyone having a child in school.

Hi, I had the same feelings as you about couple of years back when I started pre-pharmacy coursework. I am also 26 right now and just had a baby in January. I haven't started pharmacy school but do plan to within the next year or so. There's another girl at my college who just had her 3rd child and plans to apply for pharmacy school. Personally I did not want to wait until 30 to have a baby therefore I chose to have one prior to starting pharmacy school. I just started going back to college and my mom looks after my daughter while I am gone. I guess you have to take into account what's important to you and how well you feel you will be able to manage everything.

At my school, several people go through pregnancies and birth while attending pharmacy school. It's a miracle how they manage to rear children and perform well in school simultaneously, but it can be done if your motivation is strong. My sister plans to carry a child during rotations, but I personally would choose to wait to have children after I finish school. I feel that the pharmacy program at my school is rigorous, and if I suffer in school, I would feel inadequate or depressed the whole four years.

There are a couple of people in my class who have just given birth or are about to before the school year ends. I have NO IDEA how they can handle everything.....

If your going to do it, make sure that you have your "fun" with significant other in September or October. That way, you can plan it out and won't be in school at the time the baby is due.

Originally posted by South2006
If your going to do it, make sure that you have your "fun" with significant other in September or October. That way, you can plan it out and won't be in school at the time the baby is due.

Sorry to say but there is no way you can plan out having a baby! It has more to do with luck.

Use birth control except for 2 months, either pill or condom. When you get closer to the desired target date, stop taking the pill and use the condom until the date is met. I know its easier said than done but if she wants a baby during school, it is the best way

Use birth control except for 2 months, either pill or condom. When you get closer to the desired target date, stop taking the pill and use the condom until the date is met. I know its easier said than done but if she wants a baby during school, it is the best way

:laugh: Yes it is easier said than done! I had my daughter while taking birth control (properly). And some people are not as fertile as others...it takes many attempts.

Originally posted by karmapatroL
:laugh: Yes it is easier said than done! I had my daughter while taking birth control (properly). And some people are not as fertile as others...it takes many attempts.

You are right, everyone is different. My coworker had 4 kids and her plan was to have only 2 and even those 2 were not planned. On the other hand, I know a couple who finally succeeded after 2 years.

I agree with South - if you're determined to get pregnant you could at least try to plan it for when you have time off of school. If planning doesn't work for you then I would quit trying. I've had pharm school friends who have had minor surgery and were out for a week or two...and their grades suffered. They had to work really hard during finals to bring their grades back up.
In all honesty it baffles me why anyone would attempt to do this. What if you had a complicated pregnancy with forced bedrest, what if something went wrong during delivery - my mom was in the hospital for one MONTH after she had me. Pharmacy school is stressful enough without the worries of getting pregnant.

I have great respect for those who have the ability to juggle school, babies, work, etc.... Because I just don't see how I do it!

I think it is easier to either have kids a couple of years before pharm school or right when you finish. I have a 3.5 year old and a 2 year old. My little one is finally big enough that he can do more for himself - not so dependent on mom and dad any more (don't get me wrong, he's still very dependent, just not like an infant).

Infants are intense work! It seems like they sleep a lot, and most do, but there is a lot of work to be done during those naps, without having to learn bio-chem while breast feeding! I say do yourself a favor and start your family either during rotations or right after. There is also the issue of good child care for infants. An infant can't tell you if no one held him today. An infant can't fend for himself at all. Unless you were to have a family member care for him, I would be terrified to leave my infant with a day care.

rxqueen said:
Does anyone know anyone who's done this successfully? I'm getting up there in age (I'm 26) and I plan on attending pharmacy school this fall. I also want to have kids with my significant other. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you have a choice, don't do it.

I did do it and to put it bluntly, I had to choose between pharmacy school and my family. The family lost. I wasn't there for them when they needed me and it took all the fun out of both school and having a child. It turned difficult into desperate for me.

Don't do it, just don't do it. Wait until you have the diploma in the bag and money coming in. Trust me on this one.

I know one pharmacist who had an unplanned baby during pharmacy school, and was able to take the year off, as she was in good academic standing.

One of my classmates was 7 months pregnant when she interviewed for pharmacy school. Her son was 2 months old when she started school. Further, her husband was deployed and she is raising her son all by herself for now. She is doing very well, but her situation is not for everyone.

The general feedback I get from people in my class with kids is that they have difficulty doing anything at home.

You have your whole life left to have children. You will have more quality time with them when they are young if you wait until you are out of school.

Anna

As a mother to 4 children, ranging in age from 14 down to 4, all I can say is, do what you feel is best, BUT, know that you are going to be missing time from your children at the age they need you most. Currently I am still doing my prereqs. My 4 year old in particular gets very upset when he knows it is a school night. This weekend I am studying for my final. He keeps telling me that it is his turn to play with me and that he "misses me". Rips my heart out. I know what I am doing is best for my family and I know I can't put it off any longer (I'm 39), but it doesn't make me feel any less guilty.

Don't let anybody tell you what to do, but make sure you think of all angles. Best of luck in your decision.

Solubility laws, here I come....................

People can do it, but they have a heck of a time. We have several people in our class with children, and although they do fine, I have heard them worrying about choosing between their families and school. The problem is that your family is generally more accomodating than pharmacy school :( Thus, the family usually ranks second.

rxqueen - I'm with ya on the ticking biological clock, I'm going to be close to 30 when I finish my PharmD, but I definitely know I couldn't handle raising a child and going to school at the same time. We have neither the financial or emotional resources to do that....

If only there were about 5 more years between 20 and 30 :D

spacecowgirl said:
If only there were about 5 more years between 20 and 30 :D
Hey! I was wishing that the other day! :laugh: Just remember that 30 isn't old! (I'm turning 30 this summer).