Soleada

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 4, 2005
6
0
Status
Hi,

I'd like to know if having a bs degree in general science and 2 minors (chemistry and psychology) will make my application stand out a bit more, if I will get bonus points for that. My GPA is not as stellar as someone's with a 3.6+. I also have a year of pharmacy tech experience and volunteer work at the hospital. Would these help compensate for a weaker GPA? My chemistry GPA is around a 3.2 and prerequesites a bit over that. My cumulative is say...enough to allow me to apply to the schools :laugh:

I also have heard from other pharmacy students that age discrimation may be a part of the process of choosing candidates. That being older, supposedly more mature will be a benefit? Any truth to that matter? Thanks.
 
OP
S

Soleada

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 4, 2005
6
0
Status
Soleada said:
Hi,

I'd like to know if having a bs degree in general science and 2 minors (chemistry and psychology) will make my application stand out a bit more, if I will get bonus points for that. My GPA is not as stellar as someone's with a 3.6+. I also have a year of pharmacy tech experience and volunteer work at the hospital. Would these help compensate for a weaker GPA? My chemistry GPA is around a 3.2 and prerequesites a bit over that. My cumulative is say...enough to allow me to apply to the schools :laugh:

I also have heard from other pharmacy students that age discrimation may be a part of the process of choosing candidates. That being older, supposedly more mature will be a benefit? Any truth to that matter? Thanks.
Correction: chem GPA is 3.1 and prereques around 3.2. Cumulative is bad due to partying too much in undergrad (have over 200 credits, ughh)
 

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
357
1
Status
Pre-Medical
Soleada said:
Hi,

I'd like to know if having a bs degree in general science and 2 minors (chemistry and psychology) will make my application stand out a bit more, if I will get bonus points for that. My GPA is not as stellar as someone's with a 3.6+. I also have a year of pharmacy tech experience and volunteer work at the hospital. Would these help compensate for a weaker GPA? My chemistry GPA is around a 3.2 and prerequesites a bit over that. My cumulative is say...enough to allow me to apply to the schools :laugh:

I also have heard from other pharmacy students that age discrimation may be a part of the process of choosing candidates. That being older, supposedly more mature will be a benefit? Any truth to that matter? Thanks.
i dont think pharmacy schools discriminate against younger candidates but probably give preference to older applicants because older applicants tend to be more serious and more focused about their education than their younger counterparts, factors that are really important to be successful as a pharmacy student and as a pharmacist........but as long as you can show the pharmacy schools youre applying to your seriousness about pursuing pharmacy, you should be just as competitive...........
 

JMH5145

Member
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
45
0
Status
Pharmacy Student
I know I got bonus points for having a B.S. in Biology. I don't know how much my 3 minors counted though (Spanish, Chem, Microbiology)...other than for the experience they provided. Hopefully some of those classes will come in handy this fall!!
 
OP
S

Soleada

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 4, 2005
6
0
Status
JMH5145 said:
I know I got bonus points for having a B.S. in Biology. I don't know how much my 3 minors counted though (Spanish, Chem, Microbiology)...other than for the experience they provided. Hopefully some of those classes will come in handy this fall!!
3 minors certainly make you look more well-rounded, that's for sure. I was a business major before I switched a little over 3 years into the business program (aka party program) but I have since been more serious about my studies and actually enjoy chemistry. Accounting put me to :sleep:
 
OP
S

Soleada

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 4, 2005
6
0
Status
tdkneo said:
i dont think pharmacy schools discriminate against younger candidates but probably give preference to older applicants because older applicants tend to be more serious and more focused about their education than their younger counterparts, factors that are really important to be successful as a pharmacy student and as a pharmacist........but as long as you can show the pharmacy schools youre applying to your seriousness about pursuing pharmacy, you should be just as competitive...........
Yes, you are right. I meant to say give "preference to" as opposed to discriminate against. "Life experience" is perhaps a factor.
 

rxlynn

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
917
5
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Soleada said:
Yes, you are right. I meant to say give "preference to" as opposed to discriminate against. "Life experience" is perhaps a factor.
I just went through the interviewing process this winter. I'm 39, which is older than most applicants I would think. I didn't feel like I was getting any particular preference from the schools, but at the same time like you say my life experience really did help. During the actual interviews, I was less nervous because I have been through many job interviews in my life already. And, I think having already had significant pharmacy experience was very helpful in terms of having things to talk about in the interview, answering questions, etc.

It will be very helpful for you that you already have that year of experience in a pharmacy. Spend some time thinking about that experience before you write your essays and go to interviews. I don't truly think that schools mean to give preference to older students, but I do think that schools give preference to well-rounded applicants who can communicate well and can give a compelling answer to the question "Why do you want to do pharmacy?" Maybe that's just a little bit easier for us "older" applicants to answer.
 

sdn1977

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
3,547
18
Status
I have to agree with rxlynn here. Your grades, minors, test scores are the superficial things schools use to weed you out. Those are easy, objective measurements which can be easily sorted - either by computers or clerks.

However, when the stack of applications is smaller and they are having to read the essays & look at the experiences which will add to the diversity & breadth of the school (& ultimately the profession), it will be those things which set you apart that will make you a more attractive candidate.

My advice to you is the same as I gave to someone else last week - use your age, your life experience, your decision making process to change from business to pharmacy in your essay. Try to relate as many of your experiences to how they might be positive influences within the field of pharmacy. A combination of business background & pharmacy is a good one in my opinion!