Having a hospital pay for your medical school?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
What is it called when someone pays for your medical school in exchange for working for them for a set number of years? I know that it exists (my cousin did it and didn't pay a cent to go to med school). I also understand that you will usually end up at a terrible hospital since only hospitals that don't attract doctors do it :( Where can you find programs like these?

Last edited:

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What is it called when a hospital pays for your medical school in exchange for working for them for a set number of years? I know that it exists (my cousin did it and didn't pay a cent to go to med school). I also understand that you will usually end up at a terrible hospital since only hospitals that don't attract doctors do it :( Where can you find programs like these?
Loan repayment. It exists for an extent. For example, certain rural and doctor-poor areas will offer money towards loans in exchange for a contract. This usually occurs during residency rather than before medical school. However, it is possible to enter certain medical schools that have decreased tuition in exchange for working after residency in a rural area, etc.

QuizzicalApe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
What is it called when a hospital pays for your medical school in exchange for working for them for a set number of years? I know that it exists (my cousin did it and didn't pay a cent to go to med school). I also understand that you will usually end up at a terrible hospital since only hospitals that don't attract doctors do it :( Where can you find programs like these?

It may be offered as an incentive by hospitals in "undesirable" locations that have difficulty attracting physicians. You can also get comparable offers through the government by working in underserved areas, or get a military scholarship.

nysegop, aren't you just starting college? you have a whole lot of questions about how it will impact your career if you go to the worst possible schools and finding a place to work 13 to 20 years from now depending on specialty

I believe the idiom for that is "putting the horse before the cart"

About the Ads

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ohhh, I see. So they help you pay off your debt after med school rather than say a scholarship where you get it paid as you go?

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Ohhh, I see. So they help you pay off your debt after med school rather than say a scholarship where you get it paid as you go?
For specific hospitals, correct. I think part of the idea is you never know what the future will bring. What if that student chooses a specialty the hospital doesn't need, or, god-forbid, something happens to the student that prevents them from graduating? That's a lot of wasted $$.

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
For specific hospitals, correct. I think part of the idea is you never know what the future will bring. What if that student chooses a specialty the hospital doesn't need, or, god-forbid, something happens to the student that prevents them from graduating? That's a lot of wasted $$.

True.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.