Having a hospital pay for your medical school?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is it called when someone pays for your medical school in exchange for working for them for a set number of years? I know that it exists (my cousin did it and didn't pay a cent to go to med school). I also understand that you will usually end up at a terrible hospital since only hospitals that don't attract doctors do it :( Where can you find programs like these?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is it called when a hospital pays for your medical school in exchange for working for them for a set number of years? I know that it exists (my cousin did it and didn't pay a cent to go to med school). I also understand that you will usually end up at a terrible hospital since only hospitals that don't attract doctors do it :( Where can you find programs like these?
Loan repayment. It exists for an extent. For example, certain rural and doctor-poor areas will offer money towards loans in exchange for a contract. This usually occurs during residency rather than before medical school. However, it is possible to enter certain medical schools that have decreased tuition in exchange for working after residency in a rural area, etc.

What is it called when a hospital pays for your medical school in exchange for working for them for a set number of years? I know that it exists (my cousin did it and didn't pay a cent to go to med school). I also understand that you will usually end up at a terrible hospital since only hospitals that don't attract doctors do it :( Where can you find programs like these?

It may be offered as an incentive by hospitals in "undesirable" locations that have difficulty attracting physicians. You can also get comparable offers through the government by working in underserved areas, or get a military scholarship.

nysegop, aren't you just starting college? you have a whole lot of questions about how it will impact your career if you go to the worst possible schools and finding a place to work 13 to 20 years from now depending on specialty

I believe the idiom for that is "putting the horse before the cart"

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhh, I see. So they help you pay off your debt after med school rather than say a scholarship where you get it paid as you go?

Ohhh, I see. So they help you pay off your debt after med school rather than say a scholarship where you get it paid as you go?
For specific hospitals, correct. I think part of the idea is you never know what the future will bring. What if that student chooses a specialty the hospital doesn't need, or, god-forbid, something happens to the student that prevents them from graduating? That's a lot of wasted $$.

For specific hospitals, correct. I think part of the idea is you never know what the future will bring. What if that student chooses a specialty the hospital doesn't need, or, god-forbid, something happens to the student that prevents them from graduating? That's a lot of wasted $$.

True.