Having a job while working in clinical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isspam13

okurrrrr
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a part time job but I start clinical rotations in a month. Is it a good idea? even if Im only working 20hrs/week or only on the weekends?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about getting a part time job but I start clinical rotations in a month. Is it a good idea? even if Im only working 20hrs/week or only on the weekends?
Definitely not.
Do you seriously never have to work nights or weekends while on rotations?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Simply not possible if you want to do well or even pass. Most rotations are more time commitment than 2nd year for me so far. I logged 90 hours on general surgery last week (we have a rule we can't average more than 80 hour/wk over the whole rotation). Internal medicine was 50-60 hours in the hospital per week plus 10-20 hours per week studying.

legal or not, some schools have policies banning you from working a job outside of school that isn't pre-approved or something

I know my school did

your name "is spam" kinda gives it away lol

:troll:

Reactions: 2 users
Simply not possible if you want to do well or even pass. Most rotations are more time commitment than 2nd year for me so far. I logged 90 hours on general surgery last week (we have a rule we can't average more than 80 hour/wk over the whole rotation). Internal medicine was 50-60 hours in the hospital per week plus 10-20 hours per week studying.
I know some people who were able to work while doing rotations which is why I ask. I know it will be hard but Im asking if it will be impossible

legal or not, some schools have policies banning you from working a job outside of school that isn't pre-approved or something

I know my school did
I know some people who were able to work while doing rotations, which is why i am asking.

I know some people who were able to work while doing rotations which is why I ask. I know it will be hard but Im asking if it will be impossible
If you know people did it, then you already know it's possible, so there's no reason for you to ask this thread if it's possible. Therefore, troll.

Definitely do it. The $10-20/hr u make will make a huge dent in those loans and will likely destroy any hope you have of doing well in school and/or maintaining sanity.

I only know of 1 guy who worked during med school and he did it during preclinical years. Fairly smart with a good undergrad prep -- plus about 10 years as a surgical scrub nurse -- and that's what he did during his downtime. He had contacts in surgery and surgeons who like him so they would plug him in when the schedules meshed. He's a surgeon now and doing well, last I heard. No one I know of did this during years 3 and 4. Too much of a learning curve/time commitment to do well at either.

Reactions: 1 user
As a medical student, you are a professional student. This is your job. To study, immerse yourself in each rotation and see if it's something you want to pursue and pass your boards.

I only know of 1 guy who worked during med school and he did it during preclinical years. Fairly smart with a good undergrad prep -- plus about 10 years as a surgical scrub nurse -- and that's what he did during his downtime. He had contacts in surgery and surgeons who like him so they would plug him in when the schedules meshed. He's a surgeon now and doing well, last I heard. No one I know of did this during years 3 and 4. Too much of a learning curve/time commitment to do well at either.

I had a classmate who was a former nurse who moonlighted at the same hospital we did rotations at during medical school. It worked out ok. I asked her once about the ease of making the transition and she stated the doctors listened to her much more in her nurse role than in her medical student role. :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user