Having a less-than Stellar past...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

psharma02

So pretty much in HS I was a horrible student. In my Jr. year I dropped out and became one of the biggest cocaine dealers in my area for a year. Sr. year I buckled down and made up 18 credits in one year..
My question is... Should I mention any of this in my personal statement for my TRANSFER application to show how I changed my life around?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you quit the crack game Joey?

Members don't see this ad :)
So pretty much in HS I was a horrible student. In my Jr. year I dropped out and became one of the biggest cocaine dealers in my area for a year. Sr. year I buckled down and made up 18 credits in one year..
My question is... Should I mention any of this in my personal statement to show how I changed my life around?

Well I meant to mention that I am inquiring for a transfer situation... so they will probably notice something on my HS transcript at certain schools

you could go around it and mention something about growing up/being in a negative environment and being exposed to that world, but i wouldn't straight up mention dealing or doing coke or any other drug. dont do it

I saw the work Stellar so I clicked...now I am disappointed...

I will put everything in except the cocaine part...just my 0.02

Did you have a meth lab by any chance? Med schools love lab experience.

My question is... Should I mention any of this in my personal statement to show how I changed my life around?

First, there's more money in drugs than anywhere. Plus, it's tax free.

Second, becoming the biggest cocaine dealer in your area shows the ability to take initiative. I see that as a plus. The drug market is a tough one to dominate, and you managed to do it within a year. Kudos!

Probably not a good idea to mention it in as much detail though. Maybe mention it on AMCAS as paid employment: Street Pharmacist.

mentioning dealing coke in a personal statement is one of the best ways to not get into med school

I dunno, I'm split on this one. I think the biggest question for them would be if they want to give a prior drug dealer the chance to take care of people and prescribe drugs.

I dunno, I'm split on this one. I think the biggest question for them would be if they want to give a prior drug dealer the chance to take care of people and prescribe drugs.

No.

In case my sarcasm detector is broken, certain felonies (I'm sure dealing drugs is one of them) can bar you from being able to practice medicine. That being said, why would you admit to having committed such a felony in your personal statement when there is absolutely NO REASON to do so?

That, and I hardly think this is a dilemma the adcoms would face upon reviewing such an application.

Members don't see this ad :)
In case my sarcasm detector is broken, certain felonies (I'm sure dealing drugs is one of them) can bar you from being able to practice medicine. That being said, why would you admit to having committed such a felony in your personal statement when there is absolutely NO REASON to do so?

That, and I hardly think this is a dilemma the adcoms would face upon reviewing such an application.
everyone makes mistakes. that's what makes us who we are.

everyone makes mistakes. that's what makes us who we are.

Medical schools reject 97-99% of people who apply. There are enough applicants to select those without such history.

Medical schools reject 97-99% of people who apply. There are enough applicants to select those without such history.
Which is why I said I'm split. On one side he has a very interesting past and really turned his life around, which most school would really like. The downside is that it involved dealing drugs, which may be too controversial to warrant much discussion.
All I'm saying is that it could go either way. A school may take a risk with that kind of past.

So a person's past doesn't matter, as long as they haven't been punished by the legal system for it...is that what I'm gathering? How would you feel if you found out that your physician used to deal coke?
On the contrary, I said the person's past does matter. It makes you who you are. It makes you interesting. Schools ask about your past not to make sure you've never had any difficult times, but to see what you've overcome and what's shaped you into who you are. I'd say he has a very interesting story. The question is, of course, whether the school wants to take a chance on a past like that.

Don't get idealistic here. Doctors abuse drugs, get DUIs, kill people, cheat on their taxes, etc.

Don't get idealistic here.

:laugh:. If you've ever met me, you would know that I am not an idealist. It's also a bit silly of you to admonish me for idealism when you're the one advocating for the OP to tell his/her story to an adcom in hopes that they'll find it "inspiring."

Doctors abuse drugs, get DUIs, kill people, cheat on their taxes, etc.

Yeah, and they tend to lose their licenses when they get found out. My point is is that the only difference between the OP and the felons that can never practice medicine is just that, a conviction. Do you mean to tell me that you'd be fine with convicted felons being able to practice medicine?

The adcoms are likely to question how someone who used to peddle a highly addictive illegal drug changes his mind and decides to have a drive to help people by prescribing legal ones.

There's far more money in cocaine and less risk of ending up in court. Stick with that, and leave medical school to us.

Did you have a meth lab by any chance? Med schools love lab experience.
since no one else acknowledged this..
:laugh::laugh:

So a person's past doesn't matter, as long as they haven't been punished by the legal system for it...is that what I'm gathering? How would you feel if you found out that your physician used to deal coke?
i'd tell him he should be president.

ok, yeah dealing coke is a felony. but really coke is not all that bad. at least it wasn't straight up crack. i'm sure lots of doctors still powder their nose a little here and there (lol yuppies). and i love how similar stimulants that are highly addictive like ritalin (coke w/out the euphoria) are A-okay to prescribe to young kids because they have a short attention span! hah.

so yeah the OP shouldn't mention it in his apps, but there's certainly doctors out there that are pushers in their own way, it's just less obvious when they get people hooked on -legal- drugs. just because what he did was illegal doesn't make him so so bad. oooh felon! at least he's turning his life around and he deserves a chance.

personally when i'm a doc i'm totally gonna prescribe people medical marijana as much as possible :luck: (pretend the smiley is a ganja leaf) :D

Don't believe high school councelors when they say "you're high school grades will be on your PERMANENT record for LIFE!!!." Once you leave high school you leave all those grades behind. You get a fresh start at a junior college or state college. Take advantage of that. You might have to start off with lower math classes like geometry and algebra but youll catch up. High school grades are long gone. Unless you apply for a post-bad program. The Uni of California, Irvine asks for high school transcipts for their post-bac program for some reason.

We are told not to mention high school experiences in a med school application.

Apparently the only thing that affects who you are is whatever you did in college...

Well this question wasnt really MED SCHOOL oriented.. It was more towards a Transfer angle since some colleges request HS transcripts and will see that I graduated with a 2.0169 GPA :)

ok, yeah dealing coke is a felony. but really coke is not all that bad. at least it wasn't straight up crack. i'm sure lots of doctors still powder their nose a little here and there (lol yuppies). and i love how similar stimulants that are highly addictive like ritalin (coke w/out the euphoria) are A-okay to prescribe to young kids because they have a short attention span! hah.

:rolleyes:

You do realize that the only difference between cocaine and crack is a little bit of bicarbonate, right? Additionally, Ritalin is absolutely nothing like cocaine other than the fact that it's a stimulant.

If you're going to make an argument, the first step would be to at least get the facts straight.

You do realize that the only difference between cocaine and crack is a little bit of bicarbonate, right? Additionally, Ritalin is absolutely nothing like cocaine other than the fact that it's a stimulant.

If you're going to make an argument, the first step would be to at least get the facts straight.

PWN. :laugh:

Christ, some people are stupid. How do you ever expect to succeed in life if you ask questions like:

"Coke-dealer - a plus or negative?"

If you're going to whip up that ****, at least put some perfume on it by saying something like - "I started my own business" or "I served people with drug addictions".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratego

Some med schools ask for SAT and ACT scores.
But not in the experience section.

Yeah, as in extracurricular activities and volunteering experiences. I would have been SOL if that applied to the personal statement as well.
Thank you for clarifying. My comment should have been more specific.

Last edited:
Well this question wasnt really MED SCHOOL oriented.. It was more towards a Transfer angle since some colleges request HS transcripts and will see that I graduated with a 2.0169 GPA :)
When you mention a Personal Statement in your first post, it's easy to assume you meant the one on a Primary application for med school, since then term is used here so much.

Yeah I can see that now... Well on a transfer level how would that work out?

You do realize that the only difference between cocaine and crack is a little bit of bicarbonate, right?
LOL, learn to read. i said "at least it wasn't straight up crack." i'm certainly aware of the difference. i've firsthand seen what both do to people. coke is not as bad as crack. people on coke can lead normal lives and hide their addiction, for a long time. crack on the other hand is a far stronger version of coke, way more concentrated, and far dirtier.
it's interesting how "a little bit of bicarbonate" makes one drug far cheaper and a bigger problem in the urban/black community while the other is mostly the drug of choice for rich white people (and hispanics). they largely exist in different realms of society. crack is FAR more likely to cause poverty, prostitution, and homelessness. because its so concentrated, it creates addiction far quicker, and it is easier to overdose on.
coke was, and can be used in medicine. it was once common and accepted as part of everyday life, making products like coca cola as popular as they are. crack has no medical use at all.

http://cocaine.org/crack/index.html

Additionally, Ritalin is absolutely nothing like cocaine other than the fact that it's a stimulant.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=61853

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/issues/ritalin.html

because its so concentrated, it creates addiction far quicker, and it is easier to overdose on.

It has more to do with the fact that you smoke crack as opposed to snorting cocaine, not that one is more concentrated than the other. That, and crack's cheaper because it's easier to prepare than cocaine. The way you talk one would think you were trying to say that crack was the white man's invention to keep the African American population in poverty.

I stand by what I said about cocaine being nothing like Ritalin; if anything, Ritalin is more similar to amphetamines than it is to coke.

LOL, busted.

Man there are some weird people on the forum. What's the point of making up a BS story like this anyway. It's freaky.

What are you talking about, busted? Because I said before that it was a transfer question and people didn't listen. GREAT LOGIC! And my story is not a lie you dumb****

Why on earth, would ANYONE admit to anything remotely as twisted as being a big time cocaine dealer..
Im sure you know some people that got into medical school. How many of them admitted to selling drugs to an admissions committee?

That would be completely stupid.:smuggrin:

It has more to do with the fact that you smoke crack as opposed to snorting cocaine, not that one is more concentrated than the other. That, and crack's cheaper because it's easier to prepare than cocaine. The way you talk one would think you were trying to say that crack was the white man's invention to keep the African American population in poverty.

I stand by what I said about cocaine being nothing like Ritalin; if anything, Ritalin is more similar to amphetamines than it is to coke.

Well that would make sense... because it is an amphetamine..

Dude! Im not planning on admitting that to a admissions committee just use it as a story for my personal statement when I TRANSFER to a different college...

What makes you think admitting that to an undergraduate institution is okay?

When someone starts a thread like this, it's best to just ignore it and let these people hang themselves.

Anyone who speaks about breaking the law or using drugs (things that anyone can do if they so choose) thinking that it makes them special or deserving of anything extra have obviously not learned their lesson. If they were truly refomed, they would shut up about it and try their best to blend in with the other applicants that haven't made those errors in judgement.

I was a transfer student (as a junior) and they didn't ask for my high school transcripts at all. Don't bring it up. If you have a solid two years of high grades and good behavior behind you since then, focus on that. Don't ever draw attention to your weaknesses.

This thread reminds me of that movie where Hugh Grant was a doc and they found coke in his apartment :laugh:

Lets be serious Mr. Escobar,

In the eyes of Medical Schools... if you've sold drugs... you're obviously not responsible enough to prescribe drugs for patients. You mention it and you get rejected, it's that simple.

When someone starts a thread like this, it's best to just ignore it and let these people hang themselves.

Anyone who speaks about breaking the law or using drugs (things that anyone can do if they so choose) thinking that it makes them special or deserving of anything extra have obviously not learned their lesson. If they were truly refomed, they would shut up about it and try their best to blend in with the other applicants that haven't made those errors in judgement.

I have never said that I deserved of anything extra. I know I made mistakes and I am just proud that I have overcome those. I never insulted you, so why would you insult me?

Tell about your hard past but avoid cocaine stuff.. Personal statements about how people change their life are very interesting and inspirational... I read one of those... Person was an alcoholic but then became 4.0 student, story was very interesting.

By the way i am glad that u changed ur life. Not everybody can do it!

You can mention dropping out, I would leave out the drugs.

Yup! Leave out the drugs part...
The last thing Med schools want is to license someone who used to deal coke.