Having family alumni?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tayloreve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I was just curious to hear your thoughts on having alumni parents of dental school. Both my father and uncle went to the school I plan on applying to in the future. By NO means am I relying on this to "get me in." I'm working very hard as an undergraduate (4.0 as a sophomore) and *hope* to kill the DAT. But do you think this might give me a little extra pull? Or is there anywhere on the application to specify this? I don't want to come off as "Oh my dad went there so you should pick me." I know I probably shouldn't even worry about this as long as I have 4.0 and do decent on the DAT, I'm just wondering if this could help/hurt me? Does anyone else have a parent that's a dentist? What did you do?

Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

It MAY give you a very slight edge if they see you are a legacy. If it's between you and someone else with identical stats, you might win out... but as you said the stats do need to be there too. I think you can specify on the app if you have dentists in your family--but I don't quite remember.

It can't hurt!

I bet you will get in on your own though if you continue your awesome coursework!

Members don't see this ad :)
On a few of the secondaries they ask you if you have any family members who have graduated or are attending their program currently. I dunno about LSU, maybe someone who applied this past year may be able to tell you.

It probably depends on how much $ your dad's given to the dental school. :)

I was just curious to hear your thoughts on having alumni parents of dental school. Both my father and uncle went to the school I plan on applying to in the future. By NO means am I relying on this to "get me in." I'm working very hard as an undergraduate (4.0 as a sophomore) and *hope* to kill the DAT. But do you think this might give me a little extra pull?

You will likely get more "little extra pull" from your gpa than having a pedigree of dentists in the family.