Having some second thoughts about medicine due to "better" options elsewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positivetension-

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I have been pretty successful this cycle and though I have no official acceptances yet, I am pretty likely to get at least one. Part of me really wants to go through with it, especially after putting so much time and effort into getting to this point, but part of me wants to go into the tech industry.

My bachelor's was in computer science, and my interest in medicine came later through some research experiences and courses I took. The more I considered and researched medicine as a career, the more I wanted to do it, and I do think I would be good at it. However, my interest in software has continued as well, and despite not actively looking for a job I've had interview offers at good companies. If I set my mind to it and brush up my skills, I'm pretty confident I could get back into the field within a couple of months.

Now that I'm just a step away from reaching my goal of going to med school, I wonder if I'm making a big mistake by not going into software instead (specifically machine learning-related applications). Instead of making a good salary for the next 4 years, I'll be going into significant debt. Then, I'll be spending another 4-5 years in residency, likely living like a student, and still making less than I would be in tech. I probably will never recover from the opportunity cost from a financial perspective, but more than that, I honestly feel like tech and machine learning is at a turning point right now, changing almost all industries (including medicine), and it feels like it's "now or never" to be a part of it.

Any advice in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, I have been pretty successful this cycle and though I have no official acceptances yet, I am pretty likely to get at least one. Part of me really wants to go through with it, especially after putting so much time and effort into getting to this point, but part of me wants to go into the tech industry.

My bachelor's was in computer science, and my interest in medicine came later through some research experiences and courses I took. The more I considered and researched medicine as a career, the more I wanted to do it, and I do think I would be good at it. However, my interest in software has continued as well, and despite not actively looking for a job I've had interview offers at good companies. If I set my mind to it and brush up my skills, I'm pretty confident I could get back into the field within a couple of months.

Now that I'm just a step away from reaching my goal of going to med school, I wonder if I'm making a big mistake by not going into software instead (specifically machine learning-related applications). Instead of making a good salary for the next 4 years, I'll be going into significant debt. Then, I'll be spending another 4-5 years in residency, likely living like a student, and still making less than I would be in tech. I probably will never recover from the opportunity cost from a financial perspective, but more than that, I honestly feel like tech and machine learning is at a turning point right now, changing almost all industries (including medicine), and it feels like it's "now or never" to be a part of it.

go tech. if you change your mind in 4 years of tech you can go medicine. if you change your mind after 4 years of medical school you're probably screwed.

Reactions: 8 users
go tech. if you change your mind in 4 years of tech you can go medicine. if you change your mind after 4 years of medical school you're probably screwed.

My main concerns about this are:
- Length of time the MCAT is valid (I got a really high score, and I definitely DO NOT want to have to write it ever again). I wrote it in July 2015, so it would be good for only 3 more cycles after this one (depending on school).
- Reference letters (I have a couple strong academic reference letters, but asking them for a letter 2-3 years from now would be awkward/likely not as strong).
- Taboo for turning down an offer (even affecting future interview chances?). I'm not sure if this is formally kept track of at schools (would be nice if someone could chime in), but I think it would look really bad to turn down an acceptance, and then a couple of years later apply to the same school.
- Time put into applying and interviews (this is a more minor point, but since I've already put a lot of effort into this cycle, it would suck to have to do most of it over again in the future).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a now or never kind of decision for you. Minimize regret, and only you will know how to do that for your circumstances.

Edit: I agree with LizzyM below to withdraw right now. I thought you meant successful as in acceptance in hand, but you are probably waiting on t20 acceptances.

Last edited:
My main concerns about this are:
- Length of time the MCAT is valid (I got a really high score, and I definitely DO NOT want to have to write it ever again). I wrote it in July 2015, so it would be good for only 3 more cycles after this one (depending on school).
- Reference letters (I have a couple strong academic reference letters, but asking them for a letter 2-3 years from now would be awkward/likely not as strong).
- Taboo for turning down an offer (even affecting future interview chances?). I'm not sure if this is formally kept track of at schools (would be nice if someone could chime in), but I think it would look really bad to turn down an acceptance, and then a couple of years later apply to the same school.
- Time put into applying and interviews (this is a more minor point, but since I've already put a lot of effort into this cycle, it would suck to have to do most of it over again in the future).

Thoughts?

Come back when you have some acceptances to ponder declining. Maybe you dont even like the schools you get into? If you want you can list some places you interviewed at/are considering so we have some idea what your options are.

Reactions: 1 user
Basically, I have been pretty successful this cycle and though I have no official acceptances yet, I am pretty likely to get at least one.
My main concern: - Taboo for turning down an offer (even affecting future interview chances?). I'm not sure if this is formally kept track of at schools (would be nice if someone could chime in), but I think it would look really bad to turn down an acceptance, and then a couple of years later apply to the same school.

Thoughts?

Withdraw from every school RIGHT NOW! That way you have no offer to turn down. Go into tech. If you want to do medicine later, you have to want it badly enough to retake the MCAT and go through the whole application process. If you don't want medicine badly enough to do that, you don't really want it.

If something else can make you happy, do that. Medicine is difficult enough without doing it wishing you were doing something else.

Reactions: 10 users
Sometimes the only thing that gets me through a long day of studying is the thought that I can't imagine myself doing anything but medicine. So if you can imagine yourself in another career, do it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
I had a very similar path, but I ended up choosing medicine. It sounds like you're very excited by the prospect of having an impact on people at scale. I wanted to pursue something more individual and intimate.

I applied with the intention of somehow integrating my computer science knowledge into my work, but I would be completely satisfied even if that proves difficult for whatever reason.

Withdraw from every school RIGHT NOW! That way you have no offer to turn down. Go into tech. If you want to do medicine later, you have to want it badly enough to retake the MCAT and go through the whole application process. If you don't want medicine badly enough to do that, you don't really want it.

If something else can make you happy, do that. Medicine is difficult enough without doing it wishing you were doing something else.

Can I infer from this that it would, indeed, look bad to reapply to a place years later after turning down an acceptance?

Can I infer from this that it would, indeed, look bad to reapply to a place years later after turning down an acceptance?
I would actually think schools will like that. If spending time doing something else made you more certain of a career in medicine, why is that a bad thing?

I would actually think schools will like that. If spending time doing something else made you more certain of a career in medicine, why is that a bad thing?
Questionable decision making. Did the person not think it through before applying , interviewing , and finally turning down an acceptance, why won't they do that again after two years of med school?

Reactions: 3 users
I had a very similar path, but I ended up choosing medicine. It sounds like you're very excited by the prospect of having an impact on people at scale. I wanted to pursue something more individual and intimate.

I applied with the intention of somehow integrating my computer science knowledge into my work, but I would be completely satisfied even if that proves difficult for whatever reason.
I am curious where you see the intersection is in medicine? I am fascinated by ML/AI applications in DR, and clinical research. I would love to do some of that stuff in medical school if possible.

Questionable decision making. Did the person not think it through before applying , interviewing , and finally turning down an acceptance, why won't they do that again after two years of med school?
Debt!

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree. This is basically a **** or get off the pot moment for the OP. Withdrawal before acceptance won't necessarily make a huge difference over withdrawal after acceptance if he changes his mind again later but the willingness to drop all chances and pursue a different path is important if he is considering the move (whereas being unwilling to do so may mean he isn't serious about making the change)

There is still an attrition rate in med school. And if you can make 100k plus without it with the possibility of large payoffs in CS it doesn't become hard to imagine someone dropping out of med school to pursue other things. Heck CS folks drop out of Harvard with debt to pursue opportunities, medical school is no different.

I see this same problem even if he doesn't get as far as acceptance.
Memories are short and other schools are still out there. If OP gets an acceptance there is a record at amcas . It will be a harder sell with a previous acceptance staring adcoms in the face.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Memories are short and other schools are still out there. If OP gets an acceptance there is a record at amcas . It will be a harder sell with a previous acceptance staring adcoms in the face.
Isn't there a record of prior applications? Don't know much about that aspect of it but either way I feel like the OP needs to not think about it as putting med school application off for later but think about it as scratching it off his option list completely (even if there might be a chance for him later)

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't there a record of prior applications? Don't know much about that aspect of it but either way I feel like the OP needs to not think about it as putting med school application off for later but think about it as scratching it off his option list completely (even if there might be a chance for him later)
There is a record for application. So op will be a reapplicant.
OP could defer a year from medical school , or take a research year and do some CS stuff at some school. But both of those options are harder and may not give enough time.

Would it be that difficult to demonstrate, after several years, going through the effort to retake the MCAT, and etc., that OP is certain this time around? I would think a compelling case can be made.

Would it be that difficult to demonstrate, after several years, going through the effort to retake the MCAT, and etc., that OP is certain this time around? I would think a compelling case can be made.
It is a good point, I just don't know how forgiving adcoms are to a documented acceptance.

If you think its a better option then go for it. Within 2-4 years you will probably fully appreciate whether you made the best decision or if you still want a career in medicine and medical school will still be there. However, the opportunity to enter the tech industry will essentially disappear once you enter the pipeline. From the white coat ceremony to residency graduation, it's more than likely a straight shot through or you bail somewhere half-way and have all of that debt with little to nothing to show for it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone; some good points have been brought up.

If you think its a better option then go for it. Within 2-4 years you will probably fully appreciate whether you made the best decision or if you still want a career in medicine and medical school will still be there. However, the opportunity to enter the tech industry will essentially disappear once you enter the pipeline. From the white coat ceremony to residency graduation, it's more than likely a straight shot through or you bail somewhere half-way and have all of that debt with little to nothing to show for it.

I think I agree that starting med school and then changing your mind and going to tech would have worse consequences than doing the reverse. Even if it means rewriting the MCAT, seeking out new reference letters, and putting all the work in again, I agree with Koprulu that a good case could be made that I was fully serious that time around. Still not an easy decision, though...

All new endeavors are fraught with anxiety.

What does your heart tell you?

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the replies, everyone; some good points have been brought up.

I think I agree that starting med school and then changing your mind and going to tech would have worse consequences than doing the reverse. Even if it means rewriting the MCAT, seeking out new reference letters, and putting all the work in again, I agree with Koprulu that a good case could be made that I was fully serious that time around. Still not an easy decision, though...

Definitely not easy! Maybe talk to more people currently going down the path you want to enter in tech and try to figure out if it's worth it?

Reactions: 1 users

He went through all of that the first time. I guess a case can be made that doing it twice means something, but how much?

Go tech otherwise, for the next 7+ years you will be pondering what your life would be like as a techie.

He went through all of that the first time. I guess a case can be made that doing it twice means something, but how much?
Well the first time, he hadn't spent years in another industry following an intellectual interest. The second time, showing that he is willing to turn away from a successful endeavor, he can easily make the case that his heart was always in medicine and that he wants to pursue something that would allow him to make a direct impact on individuals' lives.

I know there is some trend in admissions committees to look for disqualifying flaws; the question really is how absolutist are they? Do they see someone turning down an acceptance as being indecisive? Or can they interpret this, in the context of the application, as someone who has thoughtfully grappled with his career options and relied on a wealth of experiences to make the final decision?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the first time, he hadn't spent years in another industry following an intellectual interest. The second time, showing that he is willing to turn away from a successful endeavor, he can easily make the case that his heart was always in medicine and that he wants to pursue something that would allow him to make a direct impact on individuals' lives.

I know there is some trend in admissions committees to look for disqualifying flaws; the question really is how absolutist are they? Do they see someone turning down an acceptance as being indecisive? Or can they interpret this, in the context of the application, as someone who has thoughtfully grappled with his career options and relied on a wealth of experiences to make the final decision?
The problem is what if the think the withdrawal was due to something negative and the applicant is hiding something now. Like criminal issues . Fraudulent applications etc. I can see those questions causing concerns about an adcom. Plus there is a risk of the applicant not doing well on MCAT and a host of other issues .

I am going to disagree with most people on this thread and say go into medicine now. Keep up your CS skills and invest all your research into medical related computer science. If these are truly your passions, combine them and make a difference. Honestly our profession is severely lacking in doctors with tech skills and more importantly passion about them. You would be a valuable asset.

Reactions: 4 users
I am going to disagree with most people on this thread and say go into medicine now. Keep up your CS skills and invest all your research into medical related computer science. If these are truly your passions, combine them and make a difference. Honestly our profession is severely lacking in doctors with tech skills and more importantly passion about them. You would be a valuable asset.

Do you need to be a physician to follow this route?

Yeah I don't really know, honestly. But I can say that there seems to be a pretty big stigma attached to reapplying when you have turned down an acceptance in the past.

I actually agree with this. I think a doc with CS experience could be a great asset, especially in research.

I actually agree with this. I think a doc with CS experience could be a great asset, especially in research.
This sounds ideal, but it is easier said than done. People will be making big advances (and maybe big $) in machine learning while OP is getting through medical school and residency.

This sounds ideal, but it is easier said than done. People will be making big advances (and maybe big $) in machine learning while OP is getting through medical school and residency.

Sure. But you can do research during both of those, and I don't see the need for that area disappearing soon.

Sure. But you can do research during both of those, and I don't see the need for that area disappearing soon.
OP can also do the same or similar research without committing himself to medicine. If he's unsure about that, I don't know if he would consider this to be a solution to his dilemma.

Just use your tech degree/knowledge/experience and work for the medical industry. Not as a doctor, but as a developer. Best of both worlds and you don't go into debt nor spend 15 more years in debt

OP can also do the same or similar research without committing himself to medicine. If he's unsure about that, I don't know if he would consider this to be a solution to his dilemma.

He could. But he could also do both (although medicine would dominate, so he'd have to be okay with that). I love my field and would enjoy doing research in that field, but I love medicine too and am confident I can find a way to incorporate both. OP just has to know how the scales tip: of medicine is at least 50% of his main interest, then it's a viable option.

What do people refer to when they say docs with CS/tech experience would be useful? Like developing better records systems? Better clinical research? Just curious because it comes up a lot on this site and I'm just wondering what in particular people are thinking about

What do people refer to when they say docs with CS/tech experience would be useful? Like developing better records systems? Better clinical research? Just curious because it comes up a lot on this site and I'm just wondering what in particular people are thinking about

Probably the one you'll hear the most is diagnostic AI.

Using machine learning to make radiology obsolete :p

Interview at medical school does not equal acceptance; interview offer to a top tech company does not equal job offer at tech company. Don't withdraw from your medical school application unless you have a definite job offer!
Speaking from experience, I have no regrets pursuing medicine as a career.

I think the people telling you to drop immediately are crazy. I had similar doubts, but I don't think they were accurate. They were predicted off the image of medical school as being completely monolithic. So far in med school I've done way cooler "tech" stuff than I did at my tech job. There are computer scientists, researchers, engineers, and physicians working together, and someone who can bridge gaps between them is very valuable. Medicine is a huge field.

The fact that you believe better options are out there speaks volumes opie. Med school is hard even for us that believe it's our vocation.

There is a lot of money to be made in tech if you can get an edge. And you're not responsible for people or their health.

I find it interesting that the advice is so diverse/sometimes contradictory!

This could be a good solution to the dilemma, but I do wonder what that would actually entail and how much time I would actually have to do CS. Everyone I know in med school seems very busy, and it seems like the most I would be able to do is apply computational techniques to any research I would be doing (which is still cool, but not quite the same as actually building software). It seems like it would definitely take a back seat, if I could use it at all.

Interview at medical school does not equal acceptance; interview offer to a top tech company does not equal job offer at tech company. Don't withdraw from your medical school application unless you have a definite job offer!
Speaking from experience, I have no regrets pursuing medicine as a career.

I know this, but I'm trying to make the decision more clear in my mind before it actually happens and I have a small amount of time to decide. There are a lot of tech companies out there; even if one interview doesn't pan out, you can keep applying. What do you mean by "speaking from experience", were you also considering an alternative career before medicine?

I think the people telling you to drop immediately are crazy. I had similar doubts, but I don't think they were accurate. They were predicted off the image of medical school as being completely monolithic. So far in med school I've done way cooler "tech" stuff than I did at my tech job. There are computer scientists, researchers, engineers, and physicians working together, and someone who can bridge gaps between them is very valuable. Medicine is a huge field.

Interested in hearing more about this. What kind of job were you doing before med school, and what sort of tech things have you been able to do while in med school? Do you think this is dependent on school (i.e., maybe you are just lucky, and most schools are more "monolithic")?

Interested in hearing more about this. What kind of job were you doing before med school, and what sort of tech things have you been able to do while in med school? Do you think this is dependent on school (i.e., maybe you are just lucky, and most schools are more "monolithic")?

It was a med/tech startup in San Francisco. Definitely could've seen myself drinking that koolaid. I would say if you go to a top school then it will likely be in a collaborative environment where you can make it what you want it to be, progressing in medicine and tech. Accomplishing both things doesn't mean you get to do them simultaneously though. There will be times when you will have to focus 100% on medicine, and other times when you can focus on other projects more. I was in a hackathon at my school recently, and one of my team members was a 4th year med student who had taken 2 years between 3rd and 4th year to do a CS masters (in machine learning, and he got his BS in CS like you). He was using it in the lab he worked in, and to design his own apps on the side. I know another attending who founded a startup as a medical student, took a break between med school and residency to run it briefly, and then went back to residency and the company sold a decade later. I am sure the geographic location and caliber of medical school + attached undergrad school would play a big role here, and that should be a part of your selection process.