Having the "X Factor"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winter_wolves1702

Reaction score
I hear so many premeds say that you need to have the "X Factor" as an applicant or else you'll be scrapped.

First off, what is it lol? Is it subjective to each individual applicant/med school or are there universal X-Factors that make you stand out? Struggling to wrap my head around this, interested to hear everyone's opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course, there are applicants who really stand out from the crowd (Division 1 athletes, Rhodes Scholars, etc.). However, the vast majority of applicants--including those who will be accepted and become doctors--are one of many. The key is to (i) apply yourself diligently to things that you are passionate about, (ii) show that you know what you're getting into, and (iii) demonstrate through your experiences and application that you have the traits and skills that will make you a good medical student and doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Do what you love and love what you do.
Get off campus and out of your comfort zone
Devote your time to those less fortunate than yourself.

You don't need to be an Olympic athlete, a Medal of Honor winner or developed a cure for cancer.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A few (maybe 5% of accepted applicants) have an X factor. Forget about the X, and focus on being the best applicant you can be.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
You can search or see similar threads for "X-factor". You'll see that over 10+ years of discussion, this concept is a myth and a source of premed neuroticism. As mentioned, if you push yourself to be the best you can be, you can get that "X-factor". Get out of your comfort zone so you can grow.

• Love
Do all the things the cookie cutter applicants do (those are very fancy cookies with filling and frosting) but do something extra that puts your unique stamp on things. It could be a hobby or an extra curricular, something that makes you different from 39,999 other applicants.

• Love
All you need is an X chromosome, (or two).

The essays that try too hard to stand out or have some "hook" are some of the most awkward ones to read. I much prefer to read an essay that shows your take on the things you have seen in your life and your motivations.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users