Having trouble deciding where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woohoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying to get my act together for when the app goes online next month, but I'm having trouble deciding where to apply.

I'm a Michigan resident so I am definitely going to try U of M and UDM, other than that I'm kind of lost. I think my main problem is that my mom is having health problems and I want to be able to come home fairly quickly if I need to. Does anyone know of schools around here that accept a good number of out of staters? Also, considering my stats, how many schools should I apply to if I want a decent chance?

Some of my stats:
BA Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.5 Sci GPA: 3.2
DAT: AA 18, TS 19, PAT 14 (will retake in June)
EC activities:
Volunteer in medical clinic, Volunteer as teacher's assistant @ place of worship, Worked as researcher in Psychology study, Work w/ environmental organization to teach kiddies, Shadowed Dentist

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to stay close to home:

Definitely apply to Case Western. It's a private school so there is no preference for Ohio residents, and it's pretty close to Detroit (few hours drive).

Indiana has a more liberal admissions policy towards out-of-staters than a lot of state schools according to the posts I've seen on this board, so you might want to consider it as well.

Marquette, if you don't mind going to the other side of Lake Michigan. :D

HTH!

UBTom said:
If you want to stay close to home:

Definitely apply to Case Western. It's a private school so there is no preference for Ohio residents, and it's pretty close to Detroit (few hours drive).

Indiana has a more liberal admissions policy towards out-of-staters than a lot of state schools according to the posts I've seen on this board, so you might want to consider it as well.

Marquette, if you don't mind going to the other side of Lake Michigan. :D

HTH!

I checked out Indiana's website and found this list of courses that must be completed: http://www.iusd.iupui.edu/depts/edu/sa/DDSrequs.htm

Do you know if they want all of these classes complete the June before you apply or the June after you apply? If it's the former I'm prety much screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the website says this:

"A minimum of ninety (90) semester hours or one hundred thirty five (135) be quarter hours of coursework must be completed by the time of matriculation (June 30). "

From that, I'm guessing that freshmen at IUSD start their first year on June 30 (time of matriculation). So if you finish your prereqs by June 30, 2005 (assuming you are starting dental school Fall 2005), you should be OK.

Just my educated guess. You might also want to shoot an email/pm to Aphistis, our current IUSD ambassador to these boards. :D He would know for sure.

Good luck!

UBTom said:
Well, the website says this:

"A minimum of ninety (90) semester hours or one hundred thirty five (135) be quarter hours of coursework must be completed by the time of matriculation (June 30). "

From that, I'm guessing that freshmen at IUSD start their first year on June 30 (time of matriculation). So if you finish your prereqs by June 30, 2005 (assuming you are starting dental school Fall 2005), you should be OK.

Just my educated guess. You might also want to shoot an email/pm to Aphistis, our current IUSD ambassador to these boards. :D He would know for sure.

Good luck!

Cool Tom, thanks!
I'd give you some good karma but I believe you have it disabled. I guess I could send it telepathically. :cool:

I have another question that I don't wanna make a new thread for:

Does anyone know of schools that don't require interviews as part of their selection process? I think this would save ppl a lot of $$

I'm just going to make an educated guess and say NO. Because dentistry deals with people on such a personal level, there's no way a school will accept you on stats alone(although I'm sure in some cases the applicant's stats were good enough to overcome a bad personality).

Hmm... Wasn't Creighton one of those schools that don't interview out-of-staters or something like that?

Don't remember..

Marquette doesnot interview out-of-staters

I though both Marquette and Creighton don't require interviews or something?

It is true that Marquette doesn't require interviews.

Yes, Marquette and Creighton do not require interviews. I am positive.