Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Having trouble deciding where to apply

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by woohoo, May 1, 2004.

1. woohoo

woohoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, I'm trying to get my act together for when the app goes online next month, but I'm having trouble deciding where to apply.

I'm a Michigan resident so I am definitely going to try U of M and UDM, other than that I'm kind of lost. I think my main problem is that my mom is having health problems and I want to be able to come home fairly quickly if I need to. Does anyone know of schools around here that accept a good number of out of staters? Also, considering my stats, how many schools should I apply to if I want a decent chance?

Some of my stats:
    BA Psychology
    Overall GPA: 3.5 Sci GPA: 3.2
    DAT: AA 18, TS 19, PAT 14 (will retake in June)
    EC activities:
    Volunteer in medical clinic, Volunteer as teacher's assistant @ place of worship, Worked as researcher in Psychology study, Work w/ environmental organization to teach kiddies, Shadowed Dentist

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

If you want to stay close to home:

Definitely apply to Case Western. It's a private school so there is no preference for Ohio residents, and it's pretty close to Detroit (few hours drive).

Indiana has a more liberal admissions policy towards out-of-staters than a lot of state schools according to the posts I've seen on this board, so you might want to consider it as well.

Marquette, if you don't mind going to the other side of Lake Michigan. :D

HTH!

4. woohoo

woohoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I checked out Indiana's website and found this list of courses that must be completed: http://www.iusd.iupui.edu/depts/edu/sa/DDSrequs.htm

Do you know if they want all of these classes complete the June before you apply or the June after you apply? If it's the former I'm prety much screwed.

5. UBTom

10+ Year Member

Well, the website says this:

"A minimum of ninety (90) semester hours or one hundred thirty five (135) be quarter hours of coursework must be completed by the time of matriculation (June 30). "

From that, I'm guessing that freshmen at IUSD start their first year on June 30 (time of matriculation). So if you finish your prereqs by June 30, 2005 (assuming you are starting dental school Fall 2005), you should be OK.

Just my educated guess. You might also want to shoot an email/pm to Aphistis, our current IUSD ambassador to these boards. :D He would know for sure.

Good luck!

6. woohoo

woohoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Cool Tom, thanks!
    I'd give you some good karma but I believe you have it disabled. I guess I could send it telepathically. :cool:

7. woohoo

woohoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have another question that I don't wanna make a new thread for:

Does anyone know of schools that don't require interviews as part of their selection process? I think this would save ppl a lot of $$

8. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

I'm just going to make an educated guess and say NO. Because dentistry deals with people on such a personal level, there's no way a school will accept you on stats alone(although I'm sure in some cases the applicant's stats were good enough to overcome a bad personality).

9. UBTom

10+ Year Member

Hmm... Wasn't Creighton one of those schools that don't interview out-of-staters or something like that?

Don't remember..

10. KrebsPsycho

KrebsPsycho Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Marquette doesnot interview out-of-staters

11. ziptree

ziptree DDS
    10+ Year Member

I though both Marquette and Creighton don't require interviews or something?

12. LibertyB

LibertyB BusyBee
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It is true that Marquette doesn't require interviews.

13. sneakytoe

sneakytoe New Member

Yes, Marquette and Creighton do not require interviews. I am positive.