WAMC: Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solosoldier31

Reaction score
Date of submission: Not Submitted. Planning on July 24th.
Overall GPA:
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
slightly lower than 3.77
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA:22/TS:22/PAT:22/QR:21/RC:23/Bio:26/GC:22/OC:20
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended: if you want to include this
Major: Biology
Minor: none
Minority: no. asian.
Reapplicant?
No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing Experience: 100 hours on single general practitioner. Planning to get 1 more over summer.
Volunteering Experience: 25 - volunteering at local church. Planning to get over 100 over summer.
Employment: Hours and type
Research: Roughly 950 hours in biochemistry mouse lab. No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: vice president& programming chair at asian cultural club. Exec board member of Liberty in North Korea. An acapella club for 1 semester.
Relevant Honors or Awards:
LOR type and strength:
2 biology recommendations, 1 recommendation from PI, 1 recommendation from dentist. I believe the two biology recommendations will be at least decent. The recommendation from PI and dentist will most likely be strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
I did not apply for a composite letter at my university, I did not realize that ECU required it, unfortunately. How badly will not having composite letter hurt my odds?
School list:

UNC, Marquette, universite of pittsburgh, Temple, university of michigan, virginia commonwealth university, University of colorado, Case western.

where else should I apply? Should I add more schools with lower academic averages?

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: Not Submitted. Planning on July 24th.
Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.77
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: slightly lower than 3.77
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA:22/TS:22/PAT:22/QR:21/RC:23/Bio:26/GC:22/OC:20
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended: if you want to include this
Major: Biology
Minor: none
Minority: no. asian.
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing Experience: 100 hours on single general practitioner. Planning to get 1 more over summer.
Volunteering Experience: 25 - volunteering at local church. Planning to get over 100 over summer.
Employment: Hours and type
Research: Roughly 950 hours in biochemistry mouse lab. No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: vice president& programming chair at asian cultural club. Exec board member of Liberty in North Korea. An acapella club for 1 semester.
Relevant Honors or Awards:
LOR type and strength: 2 biology recommendations, 1 recommendation from PI, 1 recommendation from dentist. I believe the two biology recommendations will be at least decent. The recommendation from PI and dentist will most likely be strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I did not apply for a composite letter at my university, I did not realize that ECU required it, unfortunately. How badly will not having composite letter hurt my odds?
School list:
UNC, Marquette, universite of pittsburgh, Temple, university of michigan, virginia commonwealth university, University of colorado, Case western.

where else should I apply? Should I add more schools with lower academic averages?
how come your list is all over geographically?

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like you didn't attend any recruitment events with ECU SODM... or maybe ANY recruitment events prior to applying?

Not having an institutional letter isn't an app killer, but you must be sure all your letters are submitted into ADEA AADSAS before you submit (if you're doing this in late June) so that your app can be processed efficiently together. (You have a bit more time to get the letters in, but some schools won't move your application forward to an interview invitation without all your REQUIRED letters.)

Also "planned" hours really don't matter much. Even with your planned hours, your community service resume is sparse. If you are volunteering at your church, isn't it expected that you do some service with them? The lack of apparent service to other communities and stretching beyond your comfort zone makes your application less appealing, even if you are shotgunning your application to schools outside your geography and thus have a more difficult chance for an offer.