This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftdoc17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if Dental Assisting counts towards the Health Care Experience for PA schools?

Members don't see this ad.

from my local PA school,

'To be most competitive, applicants should have experience in the following situations:
  • Patient contact experience in a position that requires a period of training and results in direct (hands-on) patient care
  • Evidence of community service in a health care setting (e.g., healthcare for underserved populations, medical mission work)"

Dental assisting def requires training and you have hands on experience helping better the health of patients. I would say yes, it counts. But you better call a few PA schools just to check.

Each PA school will have different criteria. You need to get used to doing the research to find out what every program that you apply to is willing to accept as hce for their applicants. It’s not one size fits all. For instance, my nearby PA program doesn’t care at all about HCE... but they like to see certain humanitarian service from their applicants. Another program nearby will not accept any HcE that isn’t of a professional licensed level... ie career level stuff like RN, respiratory therapy, medical laboratory scientists, paramedics, radiological technologists. So no CNAs, EMT basics, dental assistants. They won’t even look at your application without you having both that kind of healthcare experience and several thousand hours of it. So do some research so you aren’t wasting time and money on a program that isn’t even going to entertain your application. They all are different and there is no way to sidestep the requirement to hunt down the programs that are looking for folks like you. Nobody here can really answer that question the way that you asked it and have it be something that is helpful to you.

The answer to whether your dental asssisting counts as HcE for PA school is “it depends on the school”.

Reactions: 1 user