Head of the class: Top pharmacy schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin.Mero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Whether they work for community drug stores, supermarkets or big-box stores, managers have one thing in common: Hiring the right pharmacist is one of the biggest decisions they will ever have to make."

Head of the class: Top pharmacy schools - Drug Store News

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Subjective in general, but any list that puts MCPHS, Creighton, and Duquesne (?!) in and leaves off Rutgers, Temple, and Buffalo are probably not thinking straight.

Duquesne isn't a terrible school. They've been around forever and produce decent pharmacists.

That said, all of these top xxx lists are idiotic. The only thing you can really look at are NAPLEX pass rates. Everything else is subjective nonsense.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Duquesne isn't a terrible school. They've been around forever and produce decent pharmacists.

That said, all of these top xxx lists are idiotic. The only thing you can really look at are NAPLEX pass rates. Everything else is subjective nonsense.

That might be true around your area, but the ones Duquesne sent out west, it became a pretty standard joke (as well as Creighton) out here about "quality". They were the one of the two schools known by name (the other being Texas Southern) that even chain supervisors would not hire with a pulse and a license without work experience or other recommendation despite the acute shortage when I started. They've improved (mainly by other schools doing worse by comparison).

Absolutely, NAPLEX passage history the only criteria that matters that is tracked (I wish there were career longevity statistics for each of the schools).

Reactions: 2 users
That might be true around your area, but the ones Duquesne sent out west, it became a pretty standard joke (as well as Creighton) out here about "quality". They were the one of the two schools known by name (the other being Texas Southern) that even chain supervisors would not hire with a pulse and a license without work experience or other recommendation despite the acute shortage when I started. They've improved (mainly by other schools doing worse by comparison).

Absolutely, NAPLEX passage history the only criteria that matters that is tracked (I wish there were career longevity statistics for each of the schools).

All great points! I have often heard that TSU was kind of the red-haired step-child but was not aware that Duquesne and Creighton were cited for a lack of quality as well, I'm sorry to hear that! Your last point is great though. Measuring career longevity statistics for each of the schools would be a great way to benchmark!!

Sad to hear that about Creighton. They have a really good local reputation.

What is “top”? Highest elevation?

Reactions: 1 users
OU college of pharmacy made the list? The same school that can't even crack 90% pass rate on the naplex? You let me know when they overtake SWOSU, otherwise they're not deserving to be on that list.

Reactions: 1 users
What a stupid list. Dumb dumb dumb.

Also glad to see UF made this very stupid, worthless list. Shew. I would hate to go to some low tier school where a hiring manager wouldn't even look at my application.

Sad to hear that about Creighton. They have a really good local reputation.
agreed - I looked at going there - "back then" they had a great reputation - the school itself still does

Useless drivel.

"...a list of 25 of the top pharmacy colleges in the United States..." Why not the top 25? Do you see the nuance there?

No methodology. These could have been the first 25 schools to call the author back and offer quotes for the article. (It wouldn't surprise me. I've done marketing masquerading as journalism before. And a few schools on this list stick out like a sixth finger.)

Useless drivel.

Reactions: 3 users
I've done marketing masquerading as journalism before. And a few schools on this list stick out like a sixth finger.)

This was my thought exactly. Hard not to wonder if their were some kickbacks or one hand scratching the other going on here.