Status
Not open for further replies.

SurgONC

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
35
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Need some advice from all you future/current neurologists. I'm a current MS4.

I seem to get headaches after every nap that I take. It doesn't matter if it's a 10 minute nap or a 2 hour nap. I always wake up with a throbbing headache and I feel more tired than before I started napping. Headache is usually unilateral, no retro-orbital pain, no rhinorrhea, +photophobia. This does not happen after a normal night's sleep. Anyway, just wondering what you all think based on this limited clinical info: cluster headache, migraine, sleep apnea, tumor? j/k about the tumor...

Thanks much.
 

kapMD/PhD

T-1 yr
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
140
3
PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When did this start? How long does the headache last? Are you dizzy upon standing? Are you over tired (are you working call or night shifts?) How old are you? does anyone in your family have headaches, stroke, high blood pressure, incerased ICP? Have you had your vision checked recently?


SurgONC said:
Need some advice from all you future/current neurologists. I'm a current MS4.

I seem to get headaches after every nap that I take. It doesn't matter if it's a 10 minute nap or a 2 hour nap. I always wake up with a throbbing headache and I feel more tired than before I started napping. Headache is usually unilateral, no retro-orbital pain, no rhinorrhea, +photophobia. This does not happen after a normal night's sleep. Anyway, just wondering what you all think based on this limited clinical info: cluster headache, migraine, sleep apnea, tumor? j/k about the tumor...

Thanks much.
 
OP
SurgONC

SurgONC

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
35
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kapMD/PhD said:
When did this start? How long does the headache last? Are you dizzy upon standing? Are you over tired (are you working call or night shifts?) How old are you? does anyone in your family have headaches, stroke, high blood pressure, incerased ICP? Have you had your vision checked recently?

Not dizzy upon standing unless I get up very quickly (normal, right?). Has been on ongoing problem for several years...definitely not acute but has been more noticeable because I've been taking more naps. I probably am not sleeping enough because I've got some stress secondary to residency apps and specialty selection. I'm 26 yrs old. No family history of headache or increased ICP. Grandparents had HTN but lived mostly into their late 70s or early 80s. No FH of stroke. Had vision checked one year ago...prescription has been increasing by 0.5 diopters per year (I think...-4.25 two years ago, -4.75 one year ago). Also, when I wake up from a nap, especially if sleeping supine, I feel like I am gasping for air. This doesn't happen if I sleep prone. I'm thinking maybe sleep apnea (although not significantly overweight). Maybe I should have a sleep study?
Thanks
 
About the Ads

Nerdoscience

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
372
1
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
What I think you need to do is see a doctor in the office where they can get a very thorough history and an appropriate exam. What you explain sounds pretty migrainous, but I wouldn't give any sort of final advice on a forum like this, even if it were more clear cut.
 

PainDr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2003
470
1
Visit site
Status
What you explain sounds pretty migrainous
Actually, based on what he's said, he doesn't meet criteria for migraine.

To the OP, you need to be seen by a physician. It is not appropriate to seek a diagnosis from an online forum.
 

neurodoc

Neurologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
451
44
SF Bay Area
Status
Attending Physician
It could be some sort of essential HA, but the main concern of HA that occurs with sleep is tumor (fortunately tumor is a rare cause of HA). When you sleep there is some CO2 increase that leads to increased ICP in the contest of space-occupying lesions. See a neurologist and get an MRI.

It will probably be normal, but will give you peace-of-mind.
 

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,317
24
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
Nerdoscience said:
What I think you need to do is see a doctor in the office where they can get a very thorough history and an appropriate exam.

Exactly. Please do not post requests for medical advice on SDN. You need to speak with your personal physician.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads