Headphone for Lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions about buying a headphone, possibly noise-canceling, for listening to recorded lectures. I do not attend lectures, and my budget is $100 (for now).

Should I just pay more for a pair of bose (300+) or beats (200+) for the long run?

Appreciate the responses. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking for suggestions about buying a headphone, possibly noise-canceling, for listening to recorded lectures. I do not attend lectures, and my budget is $100 (for now).

Should I just pay more for a pair of bose (300+) or beats (200+) for the long run?

There's no reason to spend that much money on headphones for lectures. I bought a pair off Amazon for like 15$ and it has lasted more than two years. Beats are overpriced garbage by the way.

Reactions: 2 users
I got these urbanears headphones. I can listen to music blasting in a quiet room and no one can hear it unless they're next to me. I'll leave the link so you can check it out for yourself. They're usually sold for $50, but here sell them for $30
http://m.saksoff5th.com/pd.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442247342&site_refer=CSE_GGLPRADS001_OFF&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOet7bet1gIVh1mGCh1g9gesEAQYAyABEgKc3fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&productCode=0400094249120

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no reason to spend that much money on headphones for lectures. I bought a pair off Amazon for like 15$ and it has lasted more than two years. Beats are overpriced garbage by the way.

The pair I own right now is FFX-Victoria, from Amazon, for $24.99. It was cheap, but after listening to a 50 min lecture, it sure warms up and causes some ear pain. I guess I should look around for an alternative brand with better reviews.

Thanks for the reply.

I got these urbanears headphones. I can listen to music blasting in a quiet room and no one can hear it unless they're next to me. I'll leave the link so you can check it out for yourself. They're usually sold for $50, but here sell them for $30
http://m.saksoff5th.com/pd.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442247342&site_refer=CSE_GGLPRADS001_OFF&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOet7bet1gIVh1mGCh1g9gesEAQYAyABEgKc3fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&productCode=0400094249120

I will definitely check these out. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
What's wrong with the standard apple earphones?

For me, the earphones are great for working out or anything else but listening to lectures. Headphones are more comfortable, especially when you have to go through 5-6 hours of lectures per day.

Last edited:
If you have money laying around, sure you can buy expensive headphones, but if you ask around you can find brands that work for you (you aren't the only person who doesn't attend lectures and needs to listen to them). Sure Bose if good but they are very high-end pricewise. But if it will last you then yeah I guess it's worth it (if nothing else is working, there's no sense in wasting money trying out brands).

I got the Bose QC15s and really enjoy them. It isn't really the noise cancelling and sound that sets it apart - it is the excellent on-head comfort that makes it worth it.

Go with whatever headphones feel best on your head. Go to a store and actually try a few different ones on and see what fits your head most comfortably.

I have a decent collection of headphones, but in my experience I always find myself reaching for my Sennheisers if I am at home. Most are very comfortable and durable. If I am on campus though, I just have a pair of in-ears that I toss in my bag.

I bought these Sony noise canceling headphones two years ago for around $50 and I'm thrilled with them. I have a toddler and newborn and I only study at home, and they work great. I generally hate wearing anything but earbuds, but these are comfortable for hours; even after I'm done podcasting, I leave them on and just play music to drown out background noise. Edited because the link didn't work for whatever reason- the model is MDRZX110NC.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Sennheiser RS 175s which I'm very happy with. They're wireless (RF, not Bluetooth) but still have great sound quality, a charging dock, and some degree of passive noise-canceling (i.e., they surround your whole ear and block some degree of sound that way).

Previously, I had a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s which got me through most of medical school. Loved those headphones. Absolutely incredible sound quality, pretty durable, better passive noise-cancelation, and got me through four years of studying. If you want wired headphones, that would be my recommendation - assuming you can even still buy them. They were about $150 when I bought them back in the day. If you want some wireless headphones, I'm very happy with the Sennheisers above, and they were about $200.

Note, though, that both are pretty bulky and not what I would consider to be portable. So if you're looking for a pair to use while at the gym or in other settings, I wouldn't recommend either, and for the Sennheisers you simply can't use them in a portable format as they require power.

I bought the Bose QuietComfort and it has been the best purchase I made so far. It's comfortable, noise cancelling is on point and I'm not a audiophile so the sound quality is good enough for me. I can't stop saying great things about this product I would splash the cash on buying it if you plan on watching alot of lectures especially if you won't be in very quite spaces all the time

If you have money laying around, sure you can buy expensive headphones, but if you ask around you can find brands that work for you (you aren't the only person who doesn't attend lectures and needs to listen to them). Sure Bose if good but they are very high-end pricewise. But if it will last you then yeah I guess it's worth it (if nothing else is working, there's no sense in wasting money trying out brands).
My Bose QC noise cancelling head phones break all of the f*****g time... I will never buy another pair.'

With that being said, when they do work, they are awesome.

Never buy Beats

i'm MS1 and i bought the new skullcandy hesh 3's ($130.00) i justify this price because of the colossal amount of time i will spending on lecture videos and especially step 1 study materials