MPH Health Education vs. Nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetransnurse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening all, this is my first post here so I apologize if it's in the incorrect section of the forum.

I've been working as a Licensed Vocational Nurse in a psychiatric hospital for over 2 years now, and I believe the time has come for me to pursue an undergrad degree (LVN program was a diploma program, and I have an A.A. in General Science). My endgame is to earn my MPH and focus on either epidemiology or maternal healthcare, but what I'm having trouble deciding is what I should study as an undergrad, and I'm currently torn between two options: nursing and health education. From what I've read on the forum so far is that one's actual major as an undergrad has little to nothing to do with pursuing their MPH, and it's the work experience gained from that degree that has more impact?

The most linear path that I've noticed for LVNs is to get a BSN. But I have a strong passion for health education, and am currently in the process of becoming a certified Childbirth Educator (CBE). Prior to applying for grad school, I'd like to centralize my work on public health education programs, particularly for expectant mothers or the LGBTQ community (or both!). Pursuing a BA in Health Education online would also allow me to continue working full-time as an LVN, successfully complete my CBE, as well as look for more opportunities to strengthen my work experience all while earning the degree.

At this point, pursuing a BSN right now only seems like the better option because it just "makes sense" for LVNs to do, despite the fact that even if I did earn the degree, I would more than likely utilize the versatility of it to go into health education as a nurse. When I explore that idea, it just doesn't seem right to put aside my current job, put myself through all the studying, clinical hours, and pay all the money to obtain skills that I don't intend on using. Plus, if I did decide to pursue a BA in Health Ed now, and work in the field for however long and realize "hey actually, I think I'd rather be a nurse", I know there are also accelerated BSN programs available IF I eventually decide to go down that route.

I've been mulling over this decision pretty much every day for the past few weeks, and would love to hear some feedback from people in any of these fields.

Members don't see this ad.

BA in health education would be useless for you. Get your nursing degree and you can educate people on health all you want.