Health Management/Consulting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwilson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the better programs for health management/consulting? Any specific kinds of courses recommended?

Members don't see this ad.

bwilson said:
What are the better programs for health management/consulting? Any specific kinds of courses recommended?

Hihi!

Health Management is usually it's own department within a full school of public health, and consulting is usually one of the career paths available to management graduates. Consulting usually pays a lot of money compared to other public health jobs, but often requires a lot of travel and possible relocation to a larger city. If you look at usnews.com, not all of the highest ranked healthcare management programs are schools of public health - some are business schools that offer the traditional MBA.

University of Michigan is #1 in healthcare management and has been for quite sometime (the last 10 years). I personally visited the University of Iowa, and thought their program was good (even though they are only ranked #10 or so). As for others which I haven't personally seen, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of Washington and UC Berkeley are also rated quite highly.

If you want admission to a healthcare management program, the recommended courses to take in undergrad are statistics, a course in college-level mathematics, economics and accounting. More business courses definately wouldn't hurt.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, write me back!