Health Social Science PhD Postdoc Before Medical School | Advice Needed

MDaspirant29

May 31, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi, SDN Pre-Med Forum:

I searched through the threads but only saw people with a Ph.D. in a science background asking about preparing for medical school. My Ph.D. is in social epidemiology. I am looking for advice on preparing for medical school for these couple of years before medical school. I am at an Ivy League school as a postdoc for the next 2-3 years. I need to take all of my pre-req classes and was just thinking about taking these at a four-year university over the years because it is cheaper than doing a one-year postbac. Although I realize that I could easily make 90k starting as a tenure track professor after my postdoc, I want to become a clinician and need advice on many things: talking to my postdoc mentors about my desire to become a clinician even though the mentorship is more research-focused (as this is the point of the Ph.D.), the most cost-effective way to take premed classes as I already have student debt, and advice on support self/possible during those 7-10 years doing medical school as someone with a PhD. My plan B is just to not go to medical school and become a tenure-track research professor at a R01, but I would love if it was possible to continue my continue medical research as a medical school student and get training that pays for medical school.

HouseJC

If nobody hates you, you're doing something wrong
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2019
New Orleans
  1. Medical Student
Hello there! I'm a bit more junior than you (PhD candidate; graduating Spring 2021) and then hoping to matriculate into medical school in Summer 2021. I'm a bit confused as to your questions, which you might want to think about between now and then as you prepare for med school application down the road:
1. Why do you want to make a career change?
2. As for finding post-doc mentors, identify some clinician-scientists at your institution and ask for their advice. My PhD supervisor is MD/PhD and has given me some pointers in my application.
3. Along with your pre-med classes, you also will need to write/re-write the MCAT, which as a post-doc (given your grant duties, research and publication pressure, ALONG with pre-med classes) will make it challenging. I'm not trying to be a downer, but just some challenges I can foresee.
4. I don't think you can get training that pays for medical school (at least I'm not aware of such), unless you do MD/PhD (which may not make much sense, as you are already a post-doc). You can definitely do research as a medical student (something I also plan on doing, as I am coming in with a PhD), but the stipend/summer studentship pales in comparison with your medical school debt.
5. As for self-support, perhaps take out some loans, depend on your S/O, work part time job at a coffee house etc, but I don't think there are mechanisms available that will pay you sufficiently to do research in order to climb out of your med school debt.

Just my .02.

MDaspirant29

May 31, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello there! I'm a bit more junior than you (PhD candidate; graduating Spring 2021) and then hoping to matriculate into medical school in Summer 2021. I'm a bit confused as to your questions, which you might want to think about between now and then as you prepare for med school application down the road:
1. Why do you want to make a career change?
2. As for finding post-doc mentors, identify some clinician-scientists at your institution and ask for their advice. My PhD supervisor is MD/PhD and has given me some pointers in my application.
3. Along with your pre-med classes, you also will need to write/re-write the MCAT, which as a post-doc (given your grant duties, research and publication pressure, ALONG with pre-med classes) will make it challenging. I'm not trying to be a downer, but just some challenges I can foresee.
4. I don't think you can get training that pays for medical school (at least I'm not aware of such), unless you do MD/PhD (which may not make much sense, as you are already a post-doc). You can definitely do research as a medical student (something I also plan on doing, as I am coming in with a PhD), but the stipend/summer studentship pales in comparison with your medical school debt.
5. As for self-support, perhaps take out some loans, depend on your S/O, work part time job at a coffee house etc, but I don't think there are mechanisms available that will pay you sufficiently to do research in order to climb out of your med school debt.

Just my .02.
1. I don't want to teach and I want to do become a clinician who diagnoses hematology/oncology patients.
2. Thanks I'm talking to some now.
3. I am thinking about doing pre-med classes after my postdoc as an alternative.
4. Yes, that is what I was thinking thanks.
5. I appreciate this perspective.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.