Healthcare Bill -- YES or NO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you support the health care bill?

• Yes - in favor

Votes: 83 31.1%
  • No - opposed

Votes: 154 57.7%
  • On the fence

Votes: 30 11.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the voting on it is today, so we will see the results by tonight.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

The bill may be voted to pass, but it may not come into law right away. There are now 38 states lined up to sue the government if it is passed. The fight isn't over yet.

Also, if the doctor fix is passed, the bill has to go back to the Senate and passed once again. Then passed in the House again.

They'll lose. Badly. They'll lose badly.

It's two Republican AGs trying to make their names for their run for the governors' mansions leading this charge. One is running for Gov already (Florida); one is running either next election or the one after that (SC).

Nothing will come of this. If it passes today, at least the Senate bill will be law. Book it.

Last edited:
I think we should say after 75 no more surgeries, pacemakers, or any expensive stuff.

The costs as people get older just spiral out of control. if they want to pay for it fine, but society gets some say when medicare or something else determines who gets what.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we should say after 75 no more surgeries, pacemakers, or any expensive stuff.

The costs as people get older just spiral out of control. if they want to pay for it fine, but society gets some say when medicare or something else determines who gets what.

Is that Swiftian satire, or are you serious? You know J. Swift was not serious when he wrote "A Modest Proposal." So how do you really feel about your Grandma?

Eh, part of me doesn't want the bill to pass because I want to see those who oppose it now change their minds 10 years down the line when premiums are 3-4k a month for an average family.

Also, what I don't understand is how people are willing to spend 1 trillion dollars on a useless, faked and forged war, but they aren't willing to spend that money on themselves. ******ed much?

Eh, part of me doesn't want the bill to pass because I want to see those who oppose it now change their minds 10 years down the line when premiums are 3-4k a month for an average family.

Also, what I don't understand is how people are willing to spend 1 trillion dollars on a useless, faked and forged war, but they aren't willing to spend that money on themselves. ******ed much?
By the same token, part of me wants to see this pass and then 10 years down the road when the pre-med is actually a doctor they can realize how duped they were.

Is that Swiftian satire, or are you serious? You know J. Swift was not serious when he wrote "A Modest Proposal." So how do you really feel about your Grandma?

Plus, I think we should give all illegal aliens gold-plated medical care. Access to expensive drugs, surgeries, radiology treatment....all on Uncle Sam's dime.

Umm I don't understand how that comment has any relevance. Most of us were in high school when the war started. Willing to spend? What?

By the same token, part of me wants to see this pass and then 10 years down the road when the pre-med is actually a doctor they can realize how duped they were.

Oh trust me, my parents make 20k a year, I don't need much to be happy. I'll be happy to make 80k a year because that's a fortune to me. HAHA.

Umm I don't understand how that comment has any relevance. Most of us were in high school when the war started. Willing to spend? What?

Umm the average age of an applicant is 25, the war in Iraq began in 2003, do the math. These people were 18. AND the war is still going on and spending more than ever.

Plus, I think we should give all illegal aliens gold-plated medical care. Access to expensive drugs, surgeries, radiology treatment....all on Uncle Sam's dime.

Wow! That is such a thoughtful, and well-informed argument. I am glad that you have based your opinions on primary-source evidence, and are so fair-minded. Thank you very much, I can presently feel my opinion changing......wait......wait.......Oh now it makes sense :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! That is such a thoughtful, and well-informed argument. I am glad that you have based your opinions on primary-source evidence, and are so fair-minded. Thank you very much, I can presently feel my opinion changing......wait......wait.......Oh now it makes sense :rolleyes:

I do what I can do.

Just to get some stats...

Yea :thumbup: or nay :thumbdown:on the healthcare bill??

(I know there are already a number of threads on the issue, I just couldn't find a poll and I'm curious to see the "official" pan-out.)

Please don't argue the issue here...there are other threads for that. Just vote. :)

I vote for; Kill bill

How large is ur firm (employee-wise)??

Are you sure you don't want to ask me how big my pee pee is or something? It's not run out of my basement or house if that's what you're wondering, although I do get to claim a pretty hefty home office deduction since I have a test domain here before things get put online to the production servers at the office or co-loc. :D Large enough to fall under the federal employer status and require co-located servers but small enough that I don't have to make 941 depsits weekly. It's generally considered poor form to talk about how much you make in polite society so that's about as far as I'll go. I've owned the company for more than a decade, obviously I'm a non traditional. Is that good enough for you to believe I don't mow neighborhood lawns?

You know why we don't provide insurance to people like we used to? Because of the government rules and mandates making it unbearable. Personally I dropped coverage for everyone once I had to indefinately front money on everyone under COBRA over the last two years, for what looks like eternity now and they made it harder and harder to eliminate them, despite not paying for the coverage. So once the chance came up and I talked to the current employees, that weren't dead weight we had to fire, we dropped the entire plan, gave raises to people that earned their job and dumped all the people that were milking us on COBRA.

It's an absolute certainty that I won't offer coverage with the garbage going through the congress right now until it's completely settled and I see where things really sit. So the number of uninsured has gone up due to government action. I have a feeling my company is very similar to many others that are probably doing the same.

Oh, you're also wrong about hard work. The people that work hard still work for me and get paid well, they can afford to buy insurance if they feel it's needed. The people that don't work hard got fired and are demanding the money be stolen from others to buy it for them. I suppose if I had a unionized company I'd have to keep the lazy people and fire the hard workers killing the desire for anyone to work hard. Wasn't the Soviet Union a labor union to begin with? See how well that worked out for them? Did you like the bread line? heh

Are you sure you don't want to ask me how big my pee pee is or something? It's not run out of my basement or house if that's what you're wondering, although I do get to claim a pretty hefty home office deduction since I have a test domain here before things get put online to the production servers at the office or co-loc. :D Large enough to fall under the federal employer status and require co-located servers but small enough that I don't have to make 941 depsits weekly. It's generally considered poor form to talk about how much you make in polite society so that's about as far as I'll go. I've owned the company for more than a decade, obviously I'm a non traditional. Is that good enough for you to believe I don't mow neighborhood lawns?

Dude how do you front people money for Cobra? Also how do you dump people on Cobra? The cost of maintaing group coverage shifts entirely from the company to the employee. The company saves money. You don't know jack about running a company, if you did Cobra won't be what u'll financially be concerned with. STOP trollin..

I still don't really think this new bill will do much, if anything. We'll see I guess...

Dude how do you front people money for Cobra? Also how do you dump people on Cobra? The cost of maintaing group coverage shifts entirely from the company to the employee. The company saves money. You don't know jack about running a company, if you did Cobra won't be what u'll financially be concerned with. STOP trollin..

You're awfully mouthy. I know after your voice recently started to deepen and you got hair in new places that you felt as though you knew everything about the world. Unfortunately quickly scrambling on Google doesn't make you an expert, despite your pathetic attempt. Since you're bold enough to insult me over something you obviously don't have a clue about I'm not being as nice as I'd like to be.

Dude how do you front people money for Cobra?

When someone leaves employment and elects to take COBRA coverage the employer has to pay the insurance company immediately and allow a window for the employee to come up with money to cover what ever is owed. Months later the insurance company credits the company back. That is how you FRONT PEOPLE MONEY! Wasn't that on Google or something?

Also how do you dump people on Cobra?

By canceling the entire group policy and not offering it to anyone. Maybe you should use Yahoo instead. It has the effect of also eliminating everyone that is piggy backing on that policy via Cobra.

The cost of maintaing group coverage shifts entirely from the company to the employee. The company saves money.

Again this probably wasn't on your Google search but the employer has to continue to administer the policy. The former employee has to pay the employer and the employer pays the insurance company for the coverage. If the former employee doesn't pay on time I still have to pay the insurance on time and deal with cancellation actions and try to collect payment. I'm able to add a whole couple percent that is supposed to cover my efforts in dealing with the hassle but it's laughable.

You don't know jack about running a company, if you did Cobra won't be what u'll financially be concerned with. STOP trollin.

Well it appears you stepped in the poop. Unfortunately I know what I'm talking about and you're some mouthy kid that thinks Google can supplant real world knowledge, not to mention constantly spelling you're or you as
"ur, ull, u" are you stuck in texting mode? You are an example of why years 3 and 4 aren't classroom based and why we have to complete a residency before being allowed to have a real opinion.

Edit: I forgot they made it even better last year with the Obama stimulus. The government added a new mandate that they would subsidize a large portion of anyone's COBRA expenses if they had lost their job after middish 2008. Guess what? I, the former employer, had to front all the money for that subsidy to everyone on my policy under COBRA and deduct it later from our quarterly 941 reports. That means I had to front people for almost 3 months that hadn't worked for me for ages. You probably knew all this already though since I don't know jack about it.

Last edited:
Just to get some stats...

Yea :thumbup: or nay :thumbdown:on the healthcare bill??

(I know there are already a number of threads on the issue, I just couldn't find a poll and I'm curious to see the "official" pan-out.)

Please don't argue the issue here...there are other threads for that. Just vote. :)

I do see a postive in this bill. It forces people to get health insurance. Too many people claim that they can't afford health insurance, but somehow are able to afford designer purses, clothing or modifications to their cars. :(

You're awfully mouthy. I know after your voice recently started to deepen and you got hair in new places that you felt as though you knew everything about the world. Unfortunately quickly scrambling on Google doesn't make you an expert, despite your pathetic attempt. Since you're bold enough to insult me over something you obviously don't have a clue about I'm not being as nice as I'd like to be.

When someone leaves employment and elects to take COBRA coverage the employer has to pay the insurance company immediately and allow a window for the employee to come up with money to cover what ever is owed. Months later the insurance company credits the company back. That is how you FRONT PEOPLE MONEY! Wasn't that on Google or something?

By canceling the entire group policy and not offering it to anyone. Maybe you should use Yahoo instead. It has the effect of also eliminating everyone that is piggy backing on that policy via Cobra.

Again this probably wasn't on your Google search but the employer has to continue to administer the policy. The former employee has to pay the employer and the employer pays the insurance company for the coverage. If the former employee doesn't pay on time I still have to pay the insurance on time and deal with cancellation actions and try to collect payment. I'm able to add a whole couple percent that is supposed to cover my efforts in dealing with the hassle but it's laughable.

Well it appears you stepped in the poop. Unfortunately I know what I'm talking about and you're some mouthy kid that thinks Google can supplant real world knowledge, not to mention constantly spelling you're or you as
"ur, ull, u" are you stuck in texting mode? You are an example of why years 3 and 4 aren't classroom based and why we have to complete a residency before being allowed to have a real opinion.

Edit: I forgot they made it even better last year with the Obama stimulus. The government added a new mandate that they would subsidize a large portion of anyone's COBRA expenses if they had lost their job after middish 2008. Guess what? I, the former employer, had to front all the money for that subsidy to everyone on my policy under COBRA and deduct it later from our quarterly 941 reports. That means I had to front people for almost 3 months that hadn't worked for me for ages. You probably knew all this already though since I don't know jack about it.

I take back calling you a troll and sayin you don't know jack about running a business. I was being presumptuous based on ur Cobra comment.

However, I have been on Cobra I know first hand about the cost shifting from employer to employee. From paying pennies on the dollar for coverage to footing $1.02/dollar for the same coverage. Whatever you pay to your Cobra administrator is refunded back to you, so it's not an expense. Cobra is NOT expensive, what is expensive is providing group coverage to the current employees NOT the former ones. The employer pays most of the bill in the former and zip in the latter!

I asked you to stop trollin bcos u portrayed Cobra as an huge expense that caused you to drop insurance. The fact is that the full cost of Cobra plus the 2% cost of administration is SOLELY borne by the Cobra beneficiary not the ex-employer! If ur company has cash-flow issues to pay and be reimbursed that's a separate issue, but Cobra doesn't cost you crap...

FYI: I'm a nontrad with a lot of worldly experiences so save me UR lecture.

Last edited:
:thumbup: Thanks this has been a nice diversion from studying...

yeah. me too. so yea or nay for the Bill? I go with the majority of wise SDNer's , Nay. 150 to 49, SDN majority against Bill.

kill the bill, or our chosen profession will suffer and patients will suffer too.

Well as I can see on CSPAN, the bill's reached the #. May I be the first to welcome you to United States of North Cuba

Status
Not open for further replies.