Healthcare Bill -- YES or NO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Do you support the health care bill?

  • Yes - in favor

    Votes: 83 31.1%
  • No - opposed

    Votes: 154 57.7%
  • On the fence

    Votes: 30 11.2%

  • Total voters
    267
Status
Not open for further replies.
data from 2006
source: http://www.ebri.org/pdf/briefspdf/EBRI_IB_10a-20071.pdf
page 12

78% of the uninsured are either employed (39.2% were family head), or are children (18.6%)

54.8% are minorities

71.5% made <50k a year

I don't think the majority of these people are deadbeats

What I'm saying is that out of the people that have chronic health conditions, a significant portion are uninsured. I never said they were deadbeats, in fact I was uninsured most my life & most people I know now are uninsured or can't afford insurance. I know its a problem, and many people genuinely can't help it.
 
Deadbeats are those who mil the government services because they can get away with it instead of working hard to afford everything in life through their own hard work.

It's ok to step out of your bubble...:laugh::laugh: It's safe also..

Hard work does not mean affluence. At the places I worked at, the hardest workers were often the least paid - the cleaning crew, the lab dishwasher - and they were also exposed to the most hazards. There's many who work 2 or more fulltime jobs and still don't make enough to buy insurance or afford other things. Many small business simply do not offer health insurance so you can work like a dog and still can't get it.

Get off ur high-horse, be less judgmental and venture into the real world a little bit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it covers liposuction I'm for getting lipo. Maybe it covers botox too? I've always wanted botox.

Right, I have a wishlist.

Lipo in other areas, plus fat injection in my lips and butt. Then face-lift, complete hair removal, and LASIK.
 
- In this bill, the government may chose where you do residency. Ouch! I agree there is a need for change, but what pisses me off is the loss of freedom. Luckily there is a law suit ready to be filed against the feds if the bill becomes law. There are over 37 states ready to sue the federal government.


I am curious where you are reading this? I had heard this and so I read the section of the bill dealing with residency and post graduate education and I didn't find anything about choosing residencies for people. Do you have a source for this? I'm not attacking you or saying you're wrong, I'm just curious where you're getting this and where in the bill this can be found.
 
Naww, I just want one. I also want varicose vein removal, even though I don't have them.

I need a dermatologist to freeze those warts and moles off my body with that liquid nitrogen thing, and I want Uncle Sam to pay for it.
 
Me, a high horse? You have no idea what my work experience is or anything like that. I pay $78 per check for health insurance. That means I pay $78 every two weeks for insurance. I have done that my whole life since I was 18. And I have lived on my own since. Not a single dollar from momy and daddy. My loan payment from college is higher than my rent. lol. And I still pay for a car. I just don't drink, smoke, or any of that crap. And I have worked hard to get as many streams of income as I possibly can. So stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I have come from nothing and I am proud to have what I have now.

Its people like you that lose the most if this bill passes. It seriously shafts hard working responsible people who want nothing more than what they are willing to work for. Think about it, the harder you work, the MORE you will pay for those that don't. That's messed up! If my diabetes, obesity, alcoholism, etc. is paid for, what, if any incentive is there for me to stop? We already reinforce this crap enough with our current system, lets not make it worse.
 
data from 2006
source: http://www.ebri.org/pdf/briefspdf/EBRI_IB_10a-20071.pdf
page 12

78% of the uninsured are either employed (39.2% were family head), or are children (18.6%)

54.8% are minorities

71.5% made <50k a year

I don't think the majority of these people are deadbeats

Deadbeats are those who mil the government services because they can get away with it instead of working hard to afford everything in life through their own hard work.

It's ok to step out of your bubble...:laugh::laugh: It's safe also..

Hard work does not mean affluence. At the places I worked at, the hardest workers were often the least paid - the cleaning crew, the lab dishwasher - and they were also exposed to the most hazards. There's many who work 2 or more fulltime jobs and still don't make enough to buy insurance or afford other things. Many small business simply do not offer health insurance so you can work like a dog and still can't get it.

Get off ur high-horse, be less judgmental and venture into the real world a little bit.

Me, a high horse? You have no idea what my work experience is or anything like that. I pay $78 per check for health insurance. That means I pay $78 every two weeks for insurance. I have done that my whole life since I was 18. And I have lived on my own since. Not a single dollar from momy and daddy. My loan payment from college is higher than my rent. lol. And I still pay for a car. I just don't drink, smoke, or any of that crap. And I have worked hard to get as many streams of income as I possibly can. So stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I have come from nothing and I am proud to have what I have now.

Stop with the ego masturbation already.. Do you want a cookie or a gold star? Ur personal story is irrelevant to this.

See what you said, bolded above, millions of people work extremely hard but are not fortunate enough to work for a company that provides health insurance. Many small firms simply can't afford to provide it. Ur $78 biweekly deduction is a heavily subsidized (~90%) employer provided benefit. U are shielded from the true cost of health insurance, try unsubsidized Cobra or a comparable product on the private market.

It's naive and fallacious to just think if everyone worked hard enough they can afford everything. So stick ur story up ur a** and stop judging people.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stop with the ego masturbation already.. Do you want a cookie or a gold star? Ur personal story is irrelevant to this.

See what you said, bolded above, millions of people work extremely hard but are not fortunate enough to work for a company that provides health insurance. Many small firms simply can't afford to provide it. Ur $78 biweekly deduction is a heavily subsidized (~90%) employer provided benefit. U are shielded from the true cost of health insurance, try unsubsidized Cobra or a comparable product on the private market.

It's naive and fallacious to just think if everyone worked hard enough they can afford everything. So stick ur story up ur a** and stop judging people.

And this is why any real reform bill would include ending the tax breaks that make it so much cheaper to get health care insurance through your employer. We don't buy any other insurance through them. It's illogical.
 
I'm smart enough to find the right employer to work for. I don't just apply for any random job posting. Most people take whatever job they can get. Most of those companies can't afford to provide health insurance.

I run two small private businesses on my own and I pay self-employed taxes. I'm already almost at the $250k a year level. Another 30k a year and I will really get hit hard with taxes because of this damn bill. So I need to expand my businesses to make even more money just to make the same I do today tomorrow.
+pity+
 
This is what my paycheck looks like:

Federal income tax: $187.43
Social Security Tax: $191.28
Medicare Tax: $40.11
State Income Tax: $164.33

That is only $583 in taxes FOR A SINGLE PAYCHECK.

And I work hard just to be taxed like that crap. Now I would be taxed even more.

Dude ur taxes are based on your income what are u b****ing about. From ur prior post u make >$200, what's ur issue?

If Warren Buffett showed you his tax bill, u may pass out bcos it's in the millions, but the point is, as a fraction of his income, he pays less taxes than his secretary.. Are you looking for pity or wat?
 
Last edited:
I'm smart enough to find the right employer to work for. I don't just apply for any random job posting. Most people take whatever job they can get. Most of those companies can't afford to provide health insurance.

I run two small private businesses on my own and I pay self-employed taxes. I'm already almost at the $250k a year level. Another 30k a year and I will really get hit hard with taxes because of this damn bill. So I need to expand my businesses to make even more money just to make the same I do today tomorrow.

Well we all can't work for Microsoft (legendary health benefits), there simply ain't enough companies, who provide health insurance, to hire everyone.

FYI I don't care about ur personal circumstances, i'm interested in the big picture.

The point is small firms employ millions of people and can't/won't provide health insurance. So hard work has nothing to do with access to health insurance, period.
 
I don't think anyone is heartless enough to want people to suffer because they can't afford treatment, but the money has to come from somewhere. Some people are ok forcing others to pay for treating conditions that result from people's poor choices, but I'm not. If someone wants to give money to help someone in need, that is fine, but forcing a redistribution of wealth is not. Are you ok with your taxes going to treat the hordes of obese & their diabetes? Are you ok with paying for your neighbors chronic alcohol addiction? Are you ok paying for Mr. Smith's lung cancer from smoking for the past 50 years? Well if your not, get used to it, because that is exactly what is going to happen, welcome to the land of zero accountability!

👍👍
 
I NOW look at it like this. If you support this bill, you're accepting you'll be taxed more, and you're ok with that. So why not let those people that support it pay more in taxes, and those that don't...don't. Say you pay the same regardless...there's just less total taxes being paid in for it.

If you're so wonderfully altruistic, and you're already making peace with paying the taxes...why not?

Of course, the system falls back apart when people realize there's a tax break for not supporting it...and then don't support it.

People that support this bill...do you already make some sort of regular donation to help others get health care? Do you get together in groups and pay off medical expenses for others?

I mean, you don't just freely give your OWN money. But if the government will sign on to take more of yours AND mine, let's play ball? No thanks.
 
and then if a public option is passed, you can forget this whole democracy thing we've been doing.
 
Dude ur taxes are based on your income what are u b****ing about. From ur prior post u make >$200, what's ur issue?

If Warren Buffett showed you his tax bill, u may pass out bcos it's in the millions, but the point is, as a fraction of his income, he pays less taxes than his secretary.. Are you looking for pity or wat?


He doesn't make anywhere close to $200k in wages if that's a biweekly check's tax.The federal witholding listed was consistent with about $1390 semi-monthly gross and the medicare and social security was double what a normal employee would pay at that wage rate, which fits with him being self employed, since we have to pay double the amount in taxes that the rest of you pay on those two programs. The gross annual income then is about $33,000 on those numbers.
 
that is my day job. I run private businesses as well.

You also magically convinced a bunch of pre-meds to instantly give up their medical school ambitions. On the spot.

Are you also dating a pair of blonde 18-year-old twins?
 
You also magically convinced a bunch of pre-meds to instantly give up their medical school ambitions. On the spot.

Are you also dating a pair of blonde 18-year-old twins?

He dates blonde 18-year old TRIPLETS. Get it right. This man is a baller.
 
I do wonder how many of these 204 people who voted (as of right now) actually have an idea of what this healthcare reform bill encompasses, though
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He doesn't make anywhere close to $200k in wages if that's a biweekly check's tax.The federal witholding listed was consistent with about $1390 semi-monthly gross and the medicare and social security was double what a normal employee would pay at that wage rate, which fits with him being self employed, since we have to pay double the amount in taxes that the rest of you pay on those two programs. The gross annual income then is about $33,000 on those numbers.

According to him, he DOES:

"I'm smart enough to find the right employer to work for. I don't just apply for any random job posting. Most people take whatever job they can get. Most of those companies can't afford to provide health insurance.

I run two small private businesses on my own and I pay self-employed taxes. I'm already almost at the $250k a year level. Another 30k a year and I will really get hit hard with taxes because of this damn bill. So I need to expand my businesses to make even more money just to make the same I do today tomorrow"
 
Well we all can't work for Microsoft (legendary health benefits), there simply ain't enough companies, who provide health insurance, to hire everyone.

FYI I don't care about ur personal circumstances, i'm interested in the big picture.

The point is small firms employ millions of people and can't/won't provide health insurance. So hard work has nothing to do with access to health insurance, period.

You know why we don't provide insurance to people like we used to? Because of the government rules and mandates making it unbearable. Personally I dropped coverage for everyone once I had to indefinately front money on everyone under COBRA over the last two years, for what looks like eternity now and they made it harder and harder to eliminate them, despite not paying for the coverage. So once the chance came up and I talked to the current employees, that weren't dead weight we had to fire, we dropped the entire plan, gave raises to people that earned their job and dumped all the people that were milking us on COBRA.

It's an absolute certainty that I won't offer coverage with the garbage going through the congress right now until it's completely settled and I see where things really sit. So the number of uninsured has gone up due to government action. I have a feeling my company is very similar to many others that are probably doing the same.

Oh, you're also wrong about hard work. The people that work hard still work for me and get paid well, they can afford to buy insurance if they feel it's needed. The people that don't work hard got fired and are demanding the money be stolen from others to buy it for them. I suppose if I had a unionized company I'd have to keep the lazy people and fire the hard workers killing the desire for anyone to work hard. Wasn't the Soviet Union a labor union to begin with? See how well that worked out for them? Did you like the bread line? heh
 
Last edited:
Somehow this thread draws in all the successful multi-business owning premeds.....🙄🙄
 
You know why we don't provide insurance to people like we used to? Because of the government rules and mandates making it unbearable. Personally I dropped coverage for everyone once I had to indefinately front money on everyone under COBRA over the last two years, for what looks like eternity now and they made it harder and harder to eliminate them, despite not paying for the coverage. So once the chance came up and I talked to the current employees, that weren't dead weight we had to fire, we dropped the entire plan, gave raises to people that earned their job and dumped all the people that were milking us on COBRA.

It's an absolute certainty that I won't offer coverage with the garbage going through the congress right now until it's completely settled and I see where things really sit. So the number of uninsured has gone up due to government action. I have a feeling my company is very similar to many others that are probably doing the same.

Oh, you're also wrong about hard work. The people that work hard still work for me and get paid well, they can afford to buy insurance if they feel it's needed. The people that don't work hard got fired and are demanding the money be stolen from others to buy it for them. I suppose if I had a unionized company I'd have to keep the lazy people and fire the hard workers killing the desire for anyone to work hard. Wasn't the Soviet Union a labor union to begin with? See how well that worked out for them? Did you like the bread line? heh

How large is ur firm (employee-wise)??
 
No. It's a wealth transfer from our generation to our parents'. Look at the age and health rating bands (hint: one doesn't exist and one exists at one thirtieth what would be actuarially fair)

Our parents have already screwed our generation enough. We'll pay enough for them never having saved a dime in their life. We'll pay for the beemers, porches, Rolexes, and vacation/"investment" condos in Florida they couldn't afford. Hell, we already are. Look at the economy. Look at who's unemployed. It's the 20-35 set. I had Princeton and Harvard grads working for me as secretaries.

So... no. I don't want to transfer any more wealth up the chain.
 
Pre-med with a pre-existing condition, here. Insurance would be 300-400 dollars a month for me on a 1400 a month income. Because I work on-call, Im not covered through a company plan. When I was underemployed, I had county insurance (kinda like medicaid) and was unable to get a doctors appointment...doctors every where were booked for 6 months, after which they stopped scheduling appts. Primary care was non-existent.

I was recently accepted to medical school, so health insurance will not be a problem in the immediate future (G-d willing), but I'll never forget these experiences from the mere 6 months during which I was underinsured.

Most people who vote NO have never experienced what this is like. They are worried about a decrease in their salaries while over 40,000 people die as a result of lack of insurance every year
 
I agree with the previous poster. Our greedy parents have really screwed our generation over. We will be paying for their health for at least the next 30 years. Once they are gone (sorry to put it that way) we can get back to a normal health system.

Unfortunately there's no going back, as a country we a AGING. Senior benefits will only increase lest they are reformed. Seniors are the most electorally active demographic that's why they get the best of everything. It's simple if u don't vote, u don't matter....
 
I guess we'll see a nice bump in unemployment claims in November. What job prospects are available for ex-congressmen?

I think some of them seriously felt they were on a mission for God, and decided to pay the cost. Some people care more about legacy than longevity of work, and obviously they felt this was going to be a huge legacy boost.

When history remembers this as an epic failure, I hope they still feel it was worth it.
 
lol, someone should make a poll to get the replies of those who have actually been accepted to medical school vs. those who are only trying to get there. I'd really be interested to see how the two groups compare. You would think the accepted people would be against it (concerned about pay), but I like to believe that this won't be the case at all.

Accepted and against the bill👎
 
Pre-med with a pre-existing condition, here. Insurance would be 300-400 dollars a month for me on a 1400 a month income. Because I work on-call, Im not covered through a company plan. When I was underemployed, I had county insurance (kinda like medicaid) and was unable to get a doctors appointment...doctors every where were booked for 6 months, after which they stopped scheduling appts. Primary care was non-existent.

I was recently accepted to medical school, so health insurance will not be a problem in the immediate future (G-d willing), but I'll never forget these experiences from the mere 6 months during which I was underinsured.

Most people who vote NO have never experienced what this is like. They are worried about a decrease in their salaries while over 40,000 people die as a result of lack of insurance every year
And if you ran an insurance company it would be bankrupted. You can't make large scale policies based upon individual's emotional pleas.
 
Also, a friendly reminder to all those accepted next year and are against the bills. Do not fall for the Free Netter's stuff from AMSA and the AMA and stick to your guns. Do not feed these associations money that is used to hurt the profession.
 
Pre-med with a pre-existing condition, here. Insurance would be 300-400 dollars a month for me on a 1400 a month income. Because I work on-call, Im not covered through a company plan. When I was underemployed, I had county insurance (kinda like medicaid) and was unable to get a doctors appointment...doctors every where were booked for 6 months, after which they stopped scheduling appts. Primary care was non-existent.

I was recently accepted to medical school, so health insurance will not be a problem in the immediate future (G-d willing), but I'll never forget these experiences from the mere 6 months during which I was underinsured.

Most people who vote NO have never experienced what this is like. They are worried about a decrease in their salaries while over 40,000 people die as a result of lack of insurance every year

Emotional plea aside (I'm pre-existing as well, but I've always carried insurance through 4 schools 4 jobs -- it's doable), you had government subsidized/run/influenced insurance and couldn't get an appointment for 6 months so you didn't like it...

...now you want everyone to have government subsidized/run/influenced insurance?

huh?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Emotional plea aside (I'm pre-existing as well, but I've always carried insurance through 4 schools 4 jobs -- it's doable), you had government subsidized/run/influenced insurance and couldn't get an appointment for 6 months so you didn't like it...

...now you want everyone to have government subsidized/run/influenced insurance?

huh?

lolwut? Are you ******ed? Quite making stupid and ridiculous exaggerations. :laugh:
 
That statement could be taken as racist though. What makes an african american different in Oakland or Chicago than anywhere else? Your post was filled with subliminal racism.


To make your point across more simply...his statement was subconsciously racist.
 
well for starters...i'm a registered democrat. so thanks for that......

um...for starters....the bill will dictate what procedures physicians can and cannot perform on patients and what their pay will be.......specifically, the department of health and human services (the secretary or head of that department) will be determining that. if a doctor does a procedure that is not permitted according the D of HHS, then the doctor will be penalized and will not be reimbursed al, even if the procedure is by far superior to effectively treating the ailment/disease/whatever. thank g-d there is already a lawsuit lined up to sue obama, if this passes tomorrow

http://landmarklegal.org/uploads/Landmark%20Complaint%20(00013086-2).pdf

http://www.landmarklegal.org/DesktopDefault.aspx

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=128773

Your referencing Mark Levin, and your a democrat????? I don't know if he is a credible source. Why don't you try NPR, or the Economist, at least they try to give it straight. I am all for intelligent, genuine discussion, but a few people (FoxNews, Mark Levine, Rush L, Palin) are making fallacious, and disingenuous arguments that are meant to enrage. If anyone that actually pays for their own health care is surprised that this bill is here I am really surprised. Health care costs are skyrocketing, health insurance companies are acting like a**es, and there is a large group of people out there that can't afford to go to the Dr. I don't know why people bring up socialists, and Canadians.....has it been so long since English 102 when they went over ad-hominem, the scare-crow fallacy, and red-herrings? They are playing on the fear of the masses. If health care is not a right then why do we give it to the elderly? I am sure doctors could make lots more money if they take away medicare. I mean that is the responsibility of charities, and family right? 🙁 And if they can't afford care then they just get along with it "and decrease the surplus population." -Ebenezer Schrooge
 
Status
Not open for further replies.