Hearing Mixed Things about Masters...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaznxcountx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Boy its been a while since I've posted...

Graduated undergrad with a 2.925 (UC Irvine). I have not calculated my AADSAS GPA yet but I'm going to say worst case it'll drop to a 2.8 due to some D's and F's. I stayed in undergrad for 5 years to try and pull up my horrendous GPA. At the end of my 3rd year I had an overall of 2.5 and by the time I graduated I was able to bring it to the 2.925. My 4th and 5th year showed a relatively consistent upward trend of around 3.5 average (some quarters 3.7 others 3.2). After that I attended Midwestern's Master of Arts in Biomedical Science. It is PURE coursework (Biochemistry, Physiology I & II, Histology, Pharmacology I & II, Microbiology, Immunology, Virology, etc.). After the first 2 quarters I have a 3.87 GPA and hope to graduate with a 3.8-3.9 graduate GPA after this final spring quarter.

My concern is that graduate GPA does not factor into your undergrad GPA therefore in my case I will not make the 3.0 cutoff. To me it wouldn't make sense to go back and do post bacc because I have taken the vast majority of classes that dental schools would want you to take. I am applying this June and will be taking the DAT probably first week of August.

I guess my question is... how do school's look at Masters? I've worked extremely hard the last 3 years to try to fix my grades but obviously I still won't get it to 3.0 overall (yeah it was THAT bad early on). I always hear people say things like "oh yeah just get a 23 on the DAT and you're good to go." Its not that easy... I will study hard for the test and hope for the best but at the same time be realistic.

Does a Masters at the very least give me more consideration even though my undergrad is below a 3.0? I'm a CA resident and hope to go to Western or Midwestern. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well since the majority of us on here are not ADCOMS, I doubt that any of us could really answer your question. It is good that your masters has shown a strong improvement for your heavy science load, but you probably need to contact the schools that you are interested in, they would really be the only ones that could answer your question. At least thats my take on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, like fldnstrm said, we can't really tell you which schools are going to like you and which ones are going to flat out reject you.

There are a few stories here on SDN with people who have similar situations like you. Low undergrad GPA, rocked the biology masters program and were able to get in. And no they did not have 23 DATs, but were in the low 20s (20-21). If they can do it, Im sure you can too.

The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to make a list of all the dental schools your going to apply to. Then start calling them 1-by-1 and asking to speak to an admission advisor, tell them your situation and see what they say.

Worked for me. I make it a point not to put exact stats out there, but I'll just say I was in a similar situation, similar undergrad gpa with several drops n withdrawals. I improved going into my Junior year, but not as good of an upward trend as you. Went to Barry University, got A's n B's, NO C's, took the DAT twice. Did pretty well the 2nd time, no spectacular numbers like 24's n 25's. Interviewed at Nova last year, UF and NYU this year, and got into NYU. My low undergrad gpa came up in my UF interview, but obviously I did enough after undergrad to be considered and get an interview. I wouldn't have had a shot at dental school without my Biomedical Science masters.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, the good scores in your master's will help. If you have any grades below a C in any of your prereq's, you will need to retake those. Most schools require C's or better in all pre-req's. This includes Eng, Psyc, etc. that are listed. These would be the only UG courses you would possibly need to take. Congrat's on the Master's and good grades, by the way.

Like stated above, you need to talk to each of the schools you plan to apply to. I would suggest trying to set up a meeting with the dean of admissions at those schools to discuss your situation, that way when your application comes across with a 2. GPA, it has less of a chance of getting overlooked. This being said, treat this meeting as your DS interview, b/c it basically is. Dress professionaly and have questions for him or her. And do all of this before you apply. Most deans will not meet with current applicants. Good Luck.

Mud

Thanks for all the GREAAAT insight everyone! I really hope I can get in somewhere. I'm shooting for 20's or so for the DAT so hopefully that can happen! :rolleyes:. I gotta finish this quarter strong though!

Thanks for all the GREAAAT insight everyone! I really hope I can get in somewhere. I'm shooting for 20's or so for the DAT so hopefully that can happen! :rolleyes:. I gotta finish this quarter strong though!

I am in a similar situation as you. I have contacted all of the schools in CA, and it seems like that are all willing to give your application a good look if you have a high grad GPA, even if your undergrad GPA don't make their minimums. To be a competitive applicant, however, will be heavily dependent on your DAT and anything in the rest of your application that would make you stand out.

thanks Destiny! Yeah the DAT will be huge obviously. I'm planning to devote a good solid 2 months on it so hopefully I can get the scores I want.

i would suggest holding off and applying, i would take cc classes to bring up the undergrad gpa to a 3.0 and then apply it shouldn't take more than a semester since your doing super well in grad school, & try to get 21's all across and you should get in somewhere.

Taking masters show that you have a better understanding of science and it can give a good impression.

It can also be used as a backup plan if dentistry doesn't work out.

Taking masters show that you have a better understanding of science and it can give a good impression.

It can also be used as a backup plan if dentistry doesn't work out.

WOW someone had fun posting on every single thread today lol