Hello!

JsPham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's my 3rd year in High School now. I am a Junior. In my family we are all mostly teachers or doctors. I have a very great love for computers and programming, however since I was a little kid I've had my heart set on following my cousins into the Medical field. I want to discuss, and get more than just reading an article.

I've always loved science, and have read books on the human body and it's workings since I was little. But I am kind of afraid... I am a nervous person, and also kind of afraid of blood. I act tough in front of all my friends, when in reality I'm shaking inside.

I think my case of Hemophobia isn't very bad, and I can handle it. But I don't know what to expect for wanting to be a doctor.

I know you don't get your choice at first, but I was wondering about which Medical Field is more flexible. Being an ER doctor seems very complicated, and tiring. (I'm a usual at the E.R. I've broken many bones, dislocated things, and pretty much know some of the staff there.) I've heard rumors about certain fields that are flexible, but I wish for confirmation. (Being a DOCTOR IS NOT EASY, I mean just one where you aren't on call 24-7 necessarily, cause that's a hard life for someone like me.)

I also, if it's not to personal, am wondering about the cost, or estimated cost for the full 8+ years now. It's 2010 and prices are already going up. I'm a hard worker, but in 2 years I know I won't make the money needed.

So in a sum- I'm looking for some advice on some of the common specialities I could go into, preferably ones not like Surgeons, etc. (I have steady hands, but being nervous/doubting myself isn't good.) I'm also wondering the price, and also some advice? It would also help if you could tell me what I can do NOW in Highschool as-well. I might drop Model UN, some Band classes, and even Tennis if it is too succeed down the line in my life. All I can think of is taking AP Biology, and maybe trying to get in on the Nursing Program. (I know they are different, but I am sure it will teach me something about Medicine that can be applied elsewhere.) I'm not very good at math, but I'm guessing that isn't uber important. (Calculus is absolute insanity too me. No clue on anything.)

I'm set on wanting a Medical Career. I have been since I was about 5, it's just I know so little. I never thought about another job, and it's hard to think about them.

And a little fyi, I did not decide to be a doctor from watching those ridiculous/stupid Medical TV Drama's. They're crap and it makes me sad how many of my Classmates are inspired to be Doctors and Nurses from that made up fantasy. I hope they are pre-pared for reality as much as I want too be. I thought it'd be cool to get advice from Doctors, Current Med-students, and even other High School students.

Thanks. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Some tips and bits of advice:

1. Don't worry so much about your distaste toward blood being a major barrier. That's something that you can get over with exposure, and you have time to work on it.

2. There are some specialties known for their good lifestyles but high pay, but they're generally the most difficult to get into. Don't even worry about what they are, because what's true now may not be true in 10 years when you're entering residency. Even in the "busier" specialties you can manage your schedule by limiting your hours worked if you're willing to take the pay hit.

3. It's ridiculously expensive. Don't worry about paying for it beforehand. You'll go into debt for college, then go into debt for medical school, and then be paid peanuts in residency, and then you'll get paid more and can start making some serious progress on the loans.

4. Don't go through nursing thinking that's a good path to being a doctor. If you want to be a nurse, look into nursing. If you want to be a doctor, be aware that people will wonder why you didn't just stick with nursing since nurses are in demand.

5. Finally, and this is important: Absolutely do not close your mind to alternate careers. Wanting to do this because you decided you wanted it as your life is not the most rock-solid reason to get into it. Toddlers aren't the best at picking a life path. As you go through classes, talk to friends, volunteer, shadow docs, make sure to constantly evaluate whether or not what you are doing is for you and whether or not there might be something else that you could be drawn to.

I don't say that to psych you out. I say that because the pre-medical path has a huge attrition rate, and you don't want to be caught flat-footed and confused if you suddenly change your mind. I also say that because even medical school and medical careers have an attrition rate. For all the grueling parts of the road to doctordom, some people only find out that this isn't what they want to be doing with their life when it is too late, and they end up burned out, deeply in debt, and miserable.

Thanks for the reply, I was expecting some of it. But it helped shed some light on Hemophobia. I seem to be getting more used to it as I get older, I can calm myself easier.

I don't wish to be a nurse- I just thought maybe it'd give at least some background knowledge of some use. (Our School has some program with our local hospital, they learn general information about the body etc. It's a glorified health class? I just thought it might provide at least some help. That and there's plenty of cute girls in it. Haha.)

So, could you recommend some major medical fields/specialities that are in demand? (It most likely will change! But I just want to know what options there are. I realllly enjoy planning ahead so mistakes aren't bad/fixable cause there's a plan b set in place.)

I like helping people, I also have a fascination with healing. Only time will tell whether I'm cut out to be a Doctor, or whether I like it, but I want to try it. I want to be brave. The only other career I could think of is Teaching. But if I could learn some things about Med Careers now, it help me in the future. My brother was a terrible planner and paid the price, so I like to think ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, could you recommend some major medical fields/specialities that are in demand? (It most likely will change! But I just want to know what options there are. I realllly enjoy planning ahead so mistakes aren't bad/fixable cause there's a plan b set in place.

Primary care docs are in demand, largely because they don't pay too well relative to other specialities. Just about all specialities are in demand if you are fine working in a less urban setting, and this generally translates into a higher salary as an incentive to live and work in a less bustling and glamorous location.

Some specialities (ex: Dermatology) are in demand, but this may be transient, since the demand is due to an artificial shortage created by the number of residency spots available.

Be a psychiatrist, No blood.

but also, hemophobia is really easy to get over. I took a year long anatomy class with lots of dissections. At first I was grossed out a bit, then as the year passed it got better. By the end, I loved dissections.

PCP's are like the Docs at the Walk-in Clinic right? And like Pediatrics, family medicine, etc.

Just like a General Doctor that you see when you have problems? (Not like ER etc.)

A primary care physician, or PCP, is a physician/medical doctor who provides both the first contact for a person with an undiagnosed health concern as well as continuing care of varied medical conditions, not limited by cause, organ system, or diagnosis.

-wiki

pediatricians, gynecologists, family and internal medicine