Help a Canadian with options - SMP vs overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meester Doge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have some interesting options, open to opinions! To get it out of the way, GPA ~3.4 and MCAT 517. So, recently accepted to an SMP program at BU, and also accepted to U of Queensland in Australia for the MD program, still waiting on Sydney.

Do you think it's worthwhile to do an SMP with intentions of studying in the US, or save the years (and money) and go overseas to start my MD with hopes of matching to Canada?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Never "hope" to be the special snowflake who matches back to Canada. Because chances are, you won't.

I'd say don't waste 200K in the US either, and do another couple years of undergrad in Canada then reapply, but if you can afford it the US is an exponentially better option than Australia

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely do not go to Australia. There are really 3 roads you can take. Do another undergrad in Canada and apply to Canadian schools, apply this cycle to DO schools, or do SMP for 1-2 years and apply to USMD schools. Each has its pros and cons. It's up to you to determine which one suits you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you for the insight, I guess it's easy to see the start of an MD and get excited. Is a residency in Australia, and then a return to canada feasible at all, or is N. America safer overall?

Thanks to both of you for the insight, I guess it's easy to see the start of an MD and get excited. Is a residency in Australia, and then a return to canada feasible at all, or is N. America safer overall?

Did you not read the responses above? Seriously, look up IMG matching stats. And no, I'm not finding the links for you. The chances are terrible.

Reactions: 1 user
Cheers guys, thanks so much for the info. Was not aware that I would need citizenship for an Aus residency.

ConfusedChemist: thanks for the insight, you seem well informed but you might want to tone down the sass a bit... nobody is asking you to hunt down links for me, I'm just asking for opinions.

Doing another undergrad in Canada isn't something I'm keen on - its just too many years without moving forward imo. As it stands (thanks to you guys), I may apply this cycle to MD programs (slim chances, but from what I understand schools will wait for my SMP 1st semester grades) and next year to MD/DO programs after my SMP is complete. If you have any thoughts/critiques feel free!

Cheers guys, thanks so much for the info. Was not aware that I would need citizenship for an Aus residency.

ConfusedChemist: thanks for the insight, you seem well informed but you might want to tone down the sass a bit... nobody is asking you to hunt down links for me, I'm just asking for opinions.

Doing another undergrad in Canada isn't something I'm keen on - its just too many years without moving forward imo. As it stands (thanks to you guys), I may apply this cycle to MD programs (slim chances, but from what I understand schools will wait for my SMP 1st semester grades) and next year to MD/DO programs after my SMP is complete. If you have any thoughts/critiques feel free!
Your stats is definitely good enough as is for DO schools if you apply broadly this year. You are very likely to get multiple interviews at DO schools if you apply now, given satisfactory clinical experience.
However, it seems to me that you are set on matriculating at your SMP and apply to USMD schools. This is perfectly fine but make sure you can ace all subjects in SMP (i.e., GPA >3.7) as if you mess up, chances of getting into even DO schools are slim. Also, I would not suggest applying this year to MD schools as you are unlikely to get any invite with your GPA and status as international student. Not only are you wasting money on applications but being a re-applicant can only hurt you. I would suggest apply only to DO schools if you don't want to do SMP. Or matriculate to SMP, do really well in the first year, and apply MD schools next cycle.

Your stats is definitely good enough as is for DO schools if you apply broadly this year. You are very likely to get multiple interviews at DO schools if you apply now, given satisfactory clinical experience.
However, it seems to me that you are set on matriculating at your SMP and apply to USMD schools. This is perfectly fine but make sure you can ace all subjects in SMP (i.e., GPA >3.7) as if you mess up, chances of getting into even DO schools are slim. Also, I would not suggest applying this year to MD schools as you are unlikely to get any invite with your GPA and status as international student. Not only are you wasting money on applications but being a re-applicant can only hurt you. I would suggest apply only to DO schools if you don't want to do SMP. Or matriculate to SMP, do really well in the first year, and apply MD schools next cycle.

The way I was thinking about it was that it might be worthwhile for me to risk the SMP this year, and try for an MD school while still having DO as an option next year (again, assuming I don't mess up the SMP). I have applied to US MD programs last cycle for the first time and was unsuccessful, do you think it would hurt my chances to apply again this summer (with only one semester of SMP grades, so low chances overall) and again next year?

The way I was thinking about it was that it might be worthwhile for me to risk the SMP this year, and try for an MD school while still having DO as an option next year (again, assuming I don't mess up the SMP). I have applied to US MD programs last cycle for the first time and was unsuccessful, do you think it would hurt my chances to apply again this summer (with only one semester of SMP grades, so low chances overall) and again next year?
Being a third time applicant is never a good idea (not so for Canadian schools but more for US schools). When do you start SMP? If you start in the fall, you will not get your one semester of grade until December at which point most interviews would have been offered with the majority of seats filled. With it being rolling admissions, you must apply early as well. It is likely that your applications will just be unsuccessful again since a 3.4 GPA is simply too low even for a domestic student. Again, I would not suggest applying to MD schools this cycle as you would not have as much grade to show for. Even if you have your one semester of grade now, the admissions would likely want more than just one semester before considering your low GPA remediated.

You can NOT do residency in Australia without Australian citizenship. .
That is not accurate.
Bleak picture painted here but your odds of matching back to Canada after going to Aus are above 50%. Your chances of getting an internship in Aus. as a Canadian are about the same as well.

That is not accurate.
Bleak picture painted here but your odds of matching back to Canada after going to Aus are above 50%. Your chances of getting an internship in Aus. as a Canadian are about the same as well.
Getting an internship is not the same getting a residency. Similar to those who go UK medical schools, they might be able to secure an internship but any further training in any specialty is an uphill battle as an international student.

Getting an internship is not the same getting a residency. Similar to those who go UK medical schools, they might be able to secure an internship but any further training in any specialty is an uphill battle as an international student.

I'm sorry to say - but you are still blatantly wrong and I believe you are not informed on the matter at all. The big hurdle for foreigners is securing the internship.