Help a prepharmer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cystapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no clue what pharmacy school will be like so can someone help me out?
How much on a scale of 100% will the following subjects pertain or be involved in Pharmacy school?

Bio (general, anatomy, physiology, micro, etc)
General Chem
Organic Chem/Biochem
Physics
Algebra/arithmetics
Calculus

From what I assume,
Bio 35
General Chem 8
Organic chem/biochem 40
Physics 1
Algebra/Arith 15
Calculus 1

Am I right? Or am I in for a killer surprise if there are lots of physics and calculus? I mean, pharmacy school is just memorizing a bunch of drug names and memorize their reactions and side effects right?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am offended when people try to play on the root "pharm" with words like "pharmer" because it has such a negative connotation and disrespect to our profession, IMO (pharmacists--doing the clean work [for the most part] and rural farmers--doing your dirty work and hard labor). I'm not trying to be the prick but i've just seen this play on words so many times that it's pretty tiring. I will nevertheless answer your question.

I have no clue what pharmacy school will be like so can someone help me out?
How much on a scale of 100% will the following subjects pertain or be involved in Pharmacy school?

Bio (general, anatomy, physiology, micro, etc)
General Chem
Organic Chem/Biochem
Physics
Algebra/arithmetics
Calculus

Bio (general, anatomy, physiology, micro, etc)--40
General Chem/Organic Chem--5
Biochem--40
Physics--5
Algebra/arithmetics-7
Calculus-3

I mean, pharmacy school is just memorizing a bunch of drug names and memorize their reactions and side effects right?

memorizing, haha...if only you knew. It'd be nice if my school were purely memorizing--then I'd know what's on the test! :D

Well, I am offended when people try to play on the root "pharm" with words like "pharmer" because it has such a negative connotation and disrespect to our profession, IMO (pharmacists--doing the clean work [for the most part] and rural farmers--doing your dirty work and hard labor). I'm not trying to be the prick but i've just seen this play on words so many times that it's pretty tiring.

Try not to get offended so easily, some of us came from rural farmer backgrounds and it fit's. (Five acres in the middle of Little Rock with a horse, 3 sheep, 3 apiary's, 1 acre garden plot, and like 80 chickens.) Besides if you'd ever heard a deep southerner say it you might be surprised how close it is phonetically.

I do like the numbers though, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if that is true I better pay attention in Biochem this summer.:)

To the moderator:

Why did you move this thread???????

I meant to address this question to the current pharmacy students........not the students who are awaiting pharmacy school admission.

Perhaps you only saw the title and didn't read my message?

Anyways if you can please move it back so I can get more feedback from the people who have been there. Thanks.

Well, I am offended when people try to play on the root "pharm" with words like "pharmer" because it has such a negative connotation and disrespect to our profession, IMO (pharmacists--doing the clean work [for the most part] and rural farmers--doing your dirty work and hard labor). I'm not trying to be the prick but i've just seen this play on words so many times that it's pretty tiring. I will nevertheless answer your question.

This is laughable...so, you think Pharmacists are better than farmers?:rolleyes:

This is laughable...so, you think Pharmacists are better than farmers?:rolleyes:

Yeah...pretty ignorant if you ask me. Maybe a farmer's work is "dirtier," but I'd like to see what's-his-name put food on the table when there's no food to be had.

I think everything overlaps somewhat. Of course the part of biology/chemistry are more relevant to theraputics and pharmacology, etc. I think it's important to get a good handle on everything if you could. It won't hurt you, right?

I do have respect for the peope who do the hard labor to give me the good juicy fruits I eat on a daily basis and that's not what I was commenting on even if it may have come across that ay. My point is: It's like calling a doctor a custodian (if such play on words did allow this) (even though I have great respect for the people who provide me w/ toilets that are clean--at least 1st thing in the morning) or your Dean at the School of Pharmacy named Mr. Dud "hey Dude!" even though you may have the most respect for him in the world. He may know you are playing on his last name and that you have great respect for his position in the school of pharmacy but the bottom line is you disrespected the Dean by calling him "hey Dude."

How is insulting the profession of farming showing any sort of respect?

To the moderator:

Why did you move this thread???????

I meant to address this question to the current pharmacy students........not the students who are awaiting pharmacy school admission.

Perhaps you only saw the title and didn't read my message?

Anyways if you can please move it back so I can get more feedback from the people who have been there. Thanks.

I didn't personally move the post. There are several volunteers working on here so it could have been any of us. This post was moved because topics pertaining to admissions, pre-requisites, etc belong in pre-pharmacy. There are plenty of pharmacy student who read the pre-pharmacy section and can answer these questions.

How is insulting the profession of farming showing any sort of respect?

Positive & negative connotations come from what images generally first come up when one first hears a word(s), usually based upon observations made over the past several years. I.e. "Chinese Cultural Revolution" conjures images of death, hard labor, inequality, families split up, etc.."negative connotation." I really don't think anyone would think of excitement and peace when one hears those words. These images reflect reality, not my opinion or yours. Likewise, when I hear "farmers," images that immediately come to mind include hard labor & hence getting dirty, under the sun, hands-on. These images (or "negative connotations") do not show my disrespect for farmers (if anything, b/c these people can endure such conditions to work in, I applaud them).

"Pharmers" "Pharm" whatever else BS out there is just so irritating b/c each profession has its own identity. It's like comparing apples to oranges--without personifying them too much, apples have their own unique characteristics (red, green, no peeling required) while oranges have their own (iorange, peeling is a must)... :) Likewise, our pharmacy profession has its own identity that is different from that of farming, obviously. Pharmacy is pharmacy. Farming is farming. 2 completely different professions. I'm not a stickler when it comes to "you must not use pharm" but due to the incessant play on the root "pharm," after all while, it gets tiring (especially when you're in pharmacy school and your classmates play on the root to advertise social events :) ).

And without any disrespect to farmers, the fact of the matter is that pharmacy is ranked higher than farming in terms of Quality of life (QOL) and $/hour earned (excluding outliers for both, of course!!). That's just fact and not my opinion of which profession is better and which is not. It's a natural tendency for human kind to want to move UP the ladder. In any profession, given the QOL & $/hour, we are always striving to move up to that highly coveted Executive position or Director of ____ job or CEO--it does not mean we don't have any respect for the jobs below those highly-sought after positions (after all, to move up, that means you are currently in a lower position :p...you think a 70-yr old physician likes to be called a "resident" or a health professional wants to be called a pre-____ student?). Hence, yes, after hearing the play on words for a while, the joke isn't really funny anymore. I don't think your CEO would be too terribly thrilled if you constantly told him his CEO position reminded you of the seashell man at your local beach.

Given the natural tendency to always strive for the better bargain (more bang for your bucks...less work more money...better QOL), "pharming" "pharmer" is disrespectful to our profession because it's almost like "pulling them down the ladder" (even though this isn't really what is happening!) when pharmacists work so hard to move UP the ladder--starting from those pre-pharmacy days of getting the good grades to competing for a spot in pharmacy school to pulling all nighters to pass your pharmacy school classes to studying your brains out for the Boards exam. Don't disrespect your own profession that you are working so hard to become a part of. That's all I am saying (without putting other professions down).

Just my 2cents. I'm not a hater. Just pointing out how silly it is of people in their own profession to be indirectly putting down their own career field.

With that said, I'm going to study some pharmacology. :)

Positive & negative connotations come from what images generally first come up when one first hears a word(s), usually based upon observations made over the past several years. I.e. "Chinese Cultural Revolution" conjures images of death, hard labor, inequality, families split up, etc.."negative connotation." I really don't think anyone would think of excitement and peace when one hears those words. These images reflect reality, not my opinion or yours. Likewise, when I hear "farmers," images that immediately come to mind include hard labor & hence getting dirty, under the sun, hands-on. These images (or "negative connotations") do not show my disrespect for farmers (if anything, b/c these people can endure such conditions to work in, I applaud them).

"Pharmers" "Pharm" whatever else BS out there is just so irritating b/c each profession has its own identity. It's like comparing apples to oranges--without personifying them too much, apples have their own unique characteristics (red, green, no peeling required) while oranges have their own (iorange, peeling is a must)... :) Likewise, our pharmacy profession has its own identity that is different from that of farming, obviously. Pharmacy is pharmacy. Farming is farming. 2 completely different professions. I'm not a stickler when it comes to "you must not use pharm" but due to the incessant play on the root "pharm," after all while, it gets tiring (especially when you're in pharmacy school and your classmates play on the root to advertise social events :) ).

And without any disrespect to farmers, the fact of the matter is that pharmacy is ranked higher than farming in terms of Quality of life (QOL) and $/hour earned (excluding outliers for both, of course!!). That's just fact and not my opinion of which profession is better and which is not. It's a natural tendency for human kind to want to move UP the ladder. In any profession, given the QOL & $/hour, we are always striving to move up to that highly coveted Executive position or Director of ____ job or CEO--it does not mean we don't have any respect for the jobs below those highly-sought after positions (after all, to move up, that means you are currently in a lower position :p...you think a 70-yr old physician likes to be called a "resident" or a health professional wants to be called a pre-____ student?). Hence, yes, after hearing the play on words for a while, the joke isn't really funny anymore. I don't think your CEO would be too terribly thrilled if you constantly told him his CEO position reminded you of the seashell man at your local beach.

Given the natural tendency to always strive for the better bargain (more bang for your bucks...less work more money...better QOL), "pharming" "pharmer" is disrespectful to our profession because it's almost like "pulling them down the ladder" (even though this isn't really what is happening!) when pharmacists work so hard to move UP the ladder--starting from those pre-pharmacy days of getting the good grades to competing for a spot in pharmacy school to pulling all nighters to pass your pharmacy school classes to studying your brains out for the Boards exam. Don't disrespect your own profession that you are working so hard to become a part of. That's all I am saying (without putting other professions down).

Just my 2cents. I'm not a hater. Just pointing out how silly it is of people in their own profession to be indirectly putting down their own career field.

Wow. Looks more like two bucks. As long as you never have to explain that ever again, I'll be happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't personally move the post. There are several volunteers working on here so it could have been any of us. This post was moved because topics pertaining to admissions, pre-requisites, etc belong in pre-pharmacy. There are plenty of pharmacy student who read the pre-pharmacy section and can answer these questions.

I know what it pertains to but I was hoping to address a larger specific audience in the phrmacy forum because that's where all the current student are? I appreciate the one reply but was hoping to get more feedback from other students.

As for the argument with how I used pharm, it was never meant to degrade the pharmacist profession. It never occured to me that being a pharmacist was superior to any specific profession beause I don't think like that therefore I wouldn't get too offended over a spelling. I have respect for all professions that exist so we can sustain our living. As long as you know who you are and whether or not you're satisied with your way of living you shouldn't worry about it too much, like I don't. What if a famer loves what he's doing and is happy with his job being out in the sun and the fresh air? What if he sees that a pharmacist's job is inferior because they have to count pills all day and being around snobby people? To each our own definition of what is superior and what makes us happy with our lifestyles. I'ts like some people thinking tthat MD's are superior to pharmacist but I sure don't think so. One other thing, playing with the root word pharm is not the same as comparing it to calling a physician a resident. It's not the same thing.

Yep, still sounds like an insult to the hard-working farmers who put the food on our table. I have a ton of respect for farmers and I love those organic farmers. And of course I have a great deal of respect for pharmacists. But just because pharmacists are well-educated, well-paid, and well-respected does not mean they are superior to farmers. We need show people of every profession the same respect we give to our peers. And we need to relax a little bit and not be so uptight. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the word "pharm".

I know what it pertains to but I was hoping to address a larger specific audience in the phrmacy forum because that's where all the current student are? I appreciate the one reply but was hoping to get more feedback from other students.

As for the argument with how I used pharm, it was never meant to degrade the farmer profession. It never occured to me that being a pharmacist was superior to any specific profession beause I don't think like that therefore I wouldn't get too offended over a spelling. I have respect for all professions that exist so we can sustain our living. As long as you know who you are and whether or not you're satisied with your way of living you shouldn't worry about it too much, like I don't. What if a famer loves what he's doing and is happy with his job being out in the sun and the fresh air? What if he sees that a pharmacist's job is inferior because they have to count pills all day and being around snobby people? To each our own definition of what is superior and what makes us happy with our lifestyles. Also, playing with the root word pharm is not the same as comparing it to calling a physician a resident. It's not the same thing.

It's actually better off in this forum. Have you seen the frequency that the other forum gets? You'd be lucky to get a post or two a day. Here there's already been tons (Granted only one that addressed your actual concern.) There'll be a few more. DGroulx, SDN1977, and a few others frequently post in the Pre-Pharmacy forum. I'm sure you'll have a few more opinions on the actual breakdown. Besides, I don't know how many other pre-pharmacy students check the pharmacy forum and this information is good for us to have.

I'm not trying to pick any fights here, but do you think that the negative connotations associated with the title of this thread might exist solely in your own mind, gaba101?

This reminds me of a time that my ex-girlfriend and I were riding the light rail in St. Louis. We had accidentally gotten on the wrong train and ended up on the "wrong" side of the river, if you know what I mean. Well as we were waiting to get on the next train back, this gangsta lookin' homeboy walks up to my ex and says to her, "Dammmmm, you got a phat a**."
My ex's face just went white, then we got on the next train that we saw. As soon as we sat down, she started crying, and asked me, "Did you hear what that guy said?!?"
I couldn't help but smiling, "A ghetto-banging, St. Louis gangsta just told you that you have a phat a** and you think that's a bad thing?"

The moral of this story, gaba, is that connotations are user specific, and you shouldn't assume that just because you interpret an expression in a negative way, that it was meant to be negative.

I'm not trying to pick any fights here, but do you think that the negative connotations associated with the title of this thread might exist solely in your own mind, gaba101?

This reminds me of a time that my ex-girlfriend and I were riding the light rail in St. Louis. We had accidentally gotten on the wrong train and ended up on the "wrong" side of the river, if you know what I mean. Well as we were waiting to get on the next train back, this gangsta lookin' homeboy walks up to my ex and says to her, "Dammmmm, you got a phat a**."
My ex's face just went white, then we got on the next train that we saw. As soon as we sat down, she started crying, and asked me, "Did you hear what that guy said?!?"
I couldn't help but smiling, "A ghetto-banging, St. Louis gangsta just told you that you have a phat a** and you think that's a bad thing?"

The moral of this story, gaba, is that connotations are user specific, and you shouldn't assume that just because you interpret an expression in a negative way, that it was meant to be negative.

You are entitled to your own opinion, as I am to my own. :cool: I know from personal experience I am not the only one who views that as a negative connotation.

We call ourselves pre-pharmers in our pre-pharmacy clubs. No negative connotation to me.

But regarding the question, it probably depends on the school, but I would think there's probably very little or no physics and calculus. Should be a lot of Bio and Biochem. Some organic chem but probably not too much hard core organic synthesis, which I'm sure we all enjoyed. And some basic math and some general chem.

It never occured to me that there was a pun on "pharmer." When OP mentioned pre-pharmer, I automatically assumed the term was referring to fellow pre-pharm students. Like, I sometimes refer to us as SDN-ers?? Maybe it's just me. Anyways, we've totaly diverted from the OP's original question....:p

This thread would have been interesting if you guys didn't continue on about nonsense...

This thread would have been interesting if you guys didn't continue on about nonsense...

Totally agree...I think you guys are reading a little too deep into someone's screen name. Hell, I chose my name because I couldn't think of anything and an album entitled "Nightcrawler" (It's a Pete Yorn cd) was on my desk so I chose that but SDN didn't accept it so I put an X after the name. A few weeks ago one of my buddies saw me checking this site and said Nightcrawler is some comic book character...I had no friggin clue. Bottom line is that it's a S/n...who gives two shats???

Cool thread guys.....Well I better get back to "plowing" through my homework.

i think it's best if we don't take titles just for the sake of the titles too seriously. again, it's just a title! all professions involve hard work. whether you are truly great at what you do in your profession with high salary or whatever and all, that is a personal achievement that you and only YOU can be proud of. if you worked hard, then you know it yourself. no need to analyze what farmers do and stratify that with what pharmacists do.

so what he means by pharmer, just means pre-pharmacy students in the way it was stated in the context! he was NOT even refering to farmers; therefore, it was NOT negative at all. just because a connotation was interpreted as negative does not mean it was negative to begin with.

"I don't know about you guys - But I cant wait to start pharm school!!!"

now tell me you guys haven't heard that line before??? Somehow - the deep seated disrespect for our profession doesn't seem so profound...

Relax... its just a word on an anonymous board - not intending to offend...

If you really feel the need to argue about this = take a deep breath before you post - and get a life

~above~

so what he means by pharmer, just means pre-pharmacy students in the way it was stated in the context! he was NOT even refering to farmers; therefore, it was NOT negative at all. just because a connotation was interpreted as negative does not mean it was negative to begin with.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: this arguement has really gone down the unbeaten path:)

In my opinion,GABA has a negative conotation. When I see it I picture a person that is either a heavy drinker or someone who pops benzo's. It is a coy attempt to mention their tendency for drug abuse/use and they think most people will miss it. There are a few people on the forum that have a gaba name and regardless of what they post about I always think benzo's/EtOH/GHB when I see it. Idolizing drugs of abuse is unprofessional, calling yourself a pharmer is not