Help/advice on ways to improve my profile(MCAT=34R, GPA=3.6, BCPM=3.6)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batman1983

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My Profile:
MCAT=34R, P=10, V=11, B=13
UC Berkeley
GPA=3.6
BCPM=3.5
Extracir= 1 yr volunteering at Hospital and with Sports Medicine Program, many jobs (had to support myself and family during college), fraternity, government organization, created a tutoring company, lots of tutoring experience
Biggest Negative= Lack of research experience due to the fact that I had to work 30-40 hr weeks for jobs

First time poster, I just found out about this site from a friend. Glad to see so many people, like myself, that are interested in medicine and willing to help others out(totally different than the overly competitive environment of UCB)
As for myself, I am currently applying to medical school after having graduated in May 2006 from UC Berkeley with dual degrees. I took the MCAT in August 2006, and upon finding out my score in October, decided on applying to med school for this year (sent out the secondaries by December-early Jan). Like yourselves and probably many others from CA, I applied to 30+ schools (including all the UCs, and most of the schools were not top-tier), and received secondaries from all, except UCSF. Unfortunately, after having spent thousands of dollars on apps, I did not receive any interviews, and am getting really disappointed and frustrated by this process. If possible, I would like to get peoples' advice and recommendations onto my profile, maybe possible areas of improvement and suggestions. I have thought about retaking the MCAT again, since I did not do as well on the physical section as I wanted or could have achieved, and probably can improve by 2-3 pts. But, I am wondering if going from a 34 to a 36/37 range will really make much of a difference, especially with the amount of work that must go into studying for the MCATs.

Furthermore, a friend suggested that the main reason I might not have received any interviews was due to the fact that I applied relatively late in the process, even though, I sent out my completed secondaries 1.5-2 months before the deadlines for most of the schools. Is there any truth to this theory, and if so, will applying early in June/July for the next cycle really improve my chances?

Thanks for the help and suggestions, as well as reading about my frustrations about this whole process.

-Frustrated Premed Applicant

Members don't see this ad.

Your biggest issue was applying late. It's hard to believe it's that big of a deal, but it is. Your MCAT is probably fine & not worth re-taking. GPA/BCPM is a little low but still well within the acceptable range.

Some other thoughts: how strong are your LORs? One or two tepid letters can really tank your application. Research is also a big one; even if it's only 5-10 hours/week for a few months, many schools really want to see this type of experience. Finally, how strong is your PS? I would suggest finding people to review it whom you know to be excellent writers and who will feel free to be openly critical with you.

Good luck to you.

I am having a similar issue with the mcat. I got a 32P but think i can do better (but my gpa is a 3.4) decisions decisions :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
continue with your life. continue with your research/volunteer/clinical extracurriculars, anything that would show you remain interested in medicine. you will get asked what you did this year. this year can be a chance to get better letters. apply early.

There's no shame in waiting a year and applying again, early. Get everything in by June, and be sure to apply broadly. Keep up with your ECs.

look at http://mdapplicants.com/ and look for schools that might be looking for an applicant like you.

Your biggest issue was applying late. It's hard to believe it's that big of a deal, but it is. Your MCAT is probably fine & not worth re-taking. GPA/BCPM is a little low but still well within the acceptable range.

Some other thoughts: how strong are your LORs? One or two tepid letters can really tank your application. Research is also a big one; even if it's only 5-10 hours/week for a few months, many schools really want to see this type of experience. Finally, how strong is your PS? I would suggest finding people to review it whom you know to be excellent writers and who will feel free to be openly critical with you.

Good luck to you.

I totally agree with Tired Pigeon. It has got to be your LORs!! I applied to MD and DO schools with an MCAT score of 28N and a gpa of 3.53 and got 4 interviews and 4 acceptances (I applied to 4 MD schools and 6 DO schools).
But I am positive my LORs were outstanding and my PS made every person who read it cry. Plus, I know someone who got into University of TN Memphis with a 25M!

Get new LORs and ask the profs if they can write good LORs. Also, if you have a pre-med committee at your school, be sure your advisor is doing right by you!

Yes, next year be sure to apply on the VERY FIRST DAY that you possibly can. When you get a secondary, fill it out within one week. Make sure your letters of recommendation are good and that no one is out to sabotage you. Your numbers are fine. Make sure you are not applying to schools that are out of your reach. Don't just apply to CA schools and the top schools nationwide and on the coasts. Check out the midwest and mid-range schools that take a more diverse student body. Good luck!

Your problem is definitely applying TOO LATE.

This isn't college where you can apply a couple months before the deadline.

Remember, premeds are all a bunch of overworked, anal-retentive overachievers. Many, many students will have their secondaries DONE by August/September and many schools with rolling admissions will have most of their classes filled by December.

Applying by December means that schools could be very picky about who they will let in with their remaining seats. And since you are a Cali resident, you know there's no state school that will let you in, despite a high MCAT score. As far as I can see, your stats are fine. In fact, it's excellent. Turn in your primary at the earliest possible date (June) and then fill out your secondaries as they come in, make sure you get everything done by August. Barring a criminal record, I think you will stand to get in somewhere next year. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice; I agree that applying late is probably what hurt me the most. Luckily, last week, after receiving rejections for the past couple months, I finally got some good news and was sent interview invitations from 5 schools within a 3 day span (I was so stoked, it really felt good, especially after feeling a little depressed for the past couple months over all of the rejections I was being sent). The schools are
Drexel, UC Davis, St. Louis, Buffalo, and Minnesota. All are great schools that I would love to go to, especially Davis, since I love Nor Cal and have heard many great things about its research and primary care programs. I know that I probably have a long shot, especially with my interviews being in late April and towards the end of admissions process, but hopefully, I can give some good news to all the late applicants out there within the next couple months. I will try to keep people up to date on my status, and want to thank everyone for their advice.

-Batman1983

PS. Btw, I just switched my car insurance to Geico :)