Help an incoming OMS1 find a good hobby!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayKolee

Reaction score
Hello! I want a hobby to be something that I can truly continue for a long time and to master it and I want something unique. I'm also starting med school so I want it to not be too time consuming. Here are some options and they are in the order of my interest in them.

1) painting: Been painting since I was a kid and always used it to help out with church events and college club posters. I love being creative. I even painted for hospice patients in the past. I started a youtube channel in the pandemic but it never really got anywhere. I want to continue this but I'm just an amateur and I want to do something impactful with it. I was thinking to continue my youtube channel but what's the point if it doesn't get more views?

2) Playing violin and being part of ensemble at med school: I played for 5 years and quit in high school so I would have to pick this up again. I enjoy it and the ensemble at my school plays for hospice patients every month so that's something I'm interested in. However, it does take more time and I'd have to remaster it.

3) Get more into sewing: I sew by hand and I even sewed masks during the pandemic. I like it but I don't know if this is something that I can do something impactful with since I can't make clothes or really tailor anything.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I vote for the violin, except try to find a community ensemble outside of the med school. It’s healthy to have non-medical friends!

Reactions: 1 users
I vote for the violin, except try to find a community ensemble outside of the med school. It’s healthy to have non-medical friends!
The only reason why I was hesitant was because I felt the violin was such a generic thing to play and I would have to pick it up again. However, I can really make an impact with it so I agree with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i think your hobby should be sleeping

Reactions: 6 users
The only reason why I was hesitant was because I felt the violin was such a generic thing to play and I would have to pick it up again. However, I can really make an impact with it so I agree with you.
You could always learn a different instrument if the violin feels too generic. You know how to read music already which is really the hardest part. Personally I would love to learn cello but I haven’t got the free time right now to practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Painting. Do it if it brings personal satisfaction, no need for YouTube views. Can be completed in a single session and exercises a part of your mind completely unrelated to medicine.

Chainsaw juggling. Chainsaws are much cheaper than pianos or violins, so more affordable on a student budget. It's exciting and unique. Not terribly time consuming since you either master it quickly or it masters you. And, when not pursing your hobby, you have chainsaws to chop down trees with. Win!

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Pickleball, Golf, reading, exercise, archery