HELP - Anyone who has or is planning to request for a deferment of matriculation

suruhanu

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
I'm going to ask for a deferment of matriculation for one year - until Fall 2006. Are the deferments 100% binding - i.e. is there a 100% guarantee that I will be "saved" a spot for the Fall 06 entering class? If you have requested a deferment and you were granted one, please let me know how you went about doing it and the admissions committee's response. Thanks.

kmturn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
suruhanu said:
I'm going to ask for a deferment of matriculation for one year - until Fall 2006. Are the deferments 100% binding - i.e. is there a 100% guarantee that I will be "saved" a spot for the Fall 06 entering class? If you have requested a deferment and you were granted one, please let me know how you went about doing it and the admissions committee's response. Thanks.
Hi Suruhanu,

I deferred last year and will be starting med school this summer. My deferment was binding, meaning that my place in the 2004-2005 class was surrendered when I submitted the request. My school made it clear that my spot in the next class was secure, but that I was responsible for submitting the AMCAS again (as a deferred applicant, free, no PS). They also mentioned that they reserved the right to review my file at a later date and/or schedule an interview again. But, they never did any of this, it was, I suppose, just a warning in case I did anything bizarre in my year off.

You should definitely call your school before requesting a deferment. They will tell you everything that you need to do, or they'll tell you if your reason would even be considered for deferment in the first place.

Hope this helps!