help! applied to and got both Army and Navy HPSP! what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

equestrian_doc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello... I have looked on this forum and still would like some more insight.. I am scheduled to commision to both Army and Navy this week... need to let someone know I am declining. I was told the Army has more residency slots at more places all over- as I hope to specialize (in something..), is this better for me? How many more spots than the Navy do they have? Three times as many? Also, I know they don't require GMO (which I like)... what are the chances I will be on a ship for a year or more if I choose the Navy (which I don't like) ? I kind of got a better "vibe" from my Army recruiter than my Navy one.. don't know if I should go with my gut or seek out more info! Any insight would be much appreciated! 🙂
 
My big issue when I had to decide between AF and Navy was location. With few exception locations where I would be training and serving (i.e., locations of major training hospitals and then branch hospitals) were near the ocean, both in the US and around the world. It is the Navy, after all. Living in wide variety of climates, being on the water is much better than not for me. Being ship-bound/ assigned to a ship doesn't mean necessarily that you will be living on a ship for a year's time. Very possible that you will deploy for a decent amount of time, but you will be stationed at a home port where you live a 'normal' life when not on deployment.
Also, unless you have a very finite life schedule, the Navy is a great choice specifically because of the GMO possiblility. I have a ton of experience in the ER before school (EMT/ERTech/MedAssist, 12,000+ hrs) and am very interested in ER residency. I do know, however, that by the end of 4th yr. and even after internship, I may feel very different. I may also feel even more sure about ER. Either way, you really need to have a solid grasp on what you want for residency and where you want to apply for externships, etc by the end (at the latest) of third year. This gives you only one year of clinical exposure to decide what you want to do for the rest of your professional life.
By going GMO, whether that's flight surg, Dive med, Fleet Marine Force or good ol' plain GMO, you have 3rd yr, 4th yr, internship, then a year or two of practicing medicine (albeit at a primary level) to really decide what you want for specialty. r90t had a great point when discussing the GMO thing. Places he interviewed at for radiation oncology while on his GMO tour (he's going to USC on the Navy's tab) were very interested about the fact that he had as much primary care experience as he had. From what he said, it was warmly received and a definate plus for him as an applicant.
I am in no hurry to jump into a field that I hadn't fully considered and subsequently achieve burn-out early in my career.
That's how I chose, hope it helps.
 
Also, because you will attend residency first with the Army, the Army's needs will be in the decision process. The same is true with the Navy except the Navy provides the GMO option if you are worried about wanting to specialize in a field that the military has little need for.
Besides, Navy folks have more fun anyway! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you're a 3rd or 4th year medical student applying to residencies, you'll be glad if you chose army over navy. There are more available residency slots and you won't have to do a GMO tour to get into the desirable ones. GMO tours can effectively extend the time you have to payback as well. Now, if you want to do a GMO tour, then by all means, go to the Navy. But, be warned that there are lots of people who feel like the Navy completely screwed them by forcing them to do a GMO tour (it can break up your training and extend your comitment).

EDIT: BTW, HeavyD is navy and I'm Army, so keep in mind that some of the advice you're getting might be a little biased (the navy sucks).
 
Have to agree with Sledge, after looking at all the branches, the Navy was the first I excluced. Choosing between Air Force and Army was then what I had left and the Army provided more residency spots and I had some family history there. (oh yeah, Navy sucks)
 
See how the jealous respond? "Navy this, Navy that!" I could degrade the other services with similar comments, but really, there's no need as I understand from where they are coming and understand their affliction. They chose other than Navy (OTN) and now have to try to place a positive spin on being OTN. We've all seen it before; the fat, dumb kid picking on the smaller, younger ones to make him feel better about being fat and dumb. Really have to feel sorry for these OTN'ers, not everyone can be the 'in' kids. 🙁
Just remember, all you OTN'ers, at least some service wants you and thinks you're OK enough to hang out with them.
 
Being a navy guy, I like it. The GMO tour has been a good tour, and I am now spending lots of quality time with the family. I did do a 4 month deployment right after internship. The break post-internship is a blessing in disguise. I know only a very small handful of GMOs that stuck to their residency goals. Sometimes the lifestyle of a general surgeon no longer appeals to someone with a wife and young child. These guys choose something with better lifestyles.

Army is doing a 1 year deployment cycle for many of the soldiers over there in Iraq. Navy is doing up to 8 months afloat, and fleet hospitals are doing about 6 months at a time. If you like dirt, MREs and camping, go Army. Hot showers, soft rack and good meals; shipboard life can't be beat if you have to deploy. You also get great liberty ports to and from your area of operation.

I won't say one is better than the other, because I've never been an army physician, however for my lifestyle the navy is fine.
 
equestrian_doc said:
Hello... I have looked on this forum and still would like some more insight.. I am scheduled to commision to both Army and Navy this week... need to let someone know I am declining. I was told the Army has more residency slots at more places all over- as I hope to specialize (in something..), is this better for me? How many more spots than the Navy do they have? Three times as many? Also, I know they don't require GMO (which I like)... what are the chances I will be on a ship for a year or more if I choose the Navy (which I don't like) ? I kind of got a better "vibe" from my Army recruiter than my Navy one.. don't know if I should go with my gut or seek out more info! Any insight would be much appreciated! 🙂

Edoc--
I would go with Army if I were you. People will say that the Navy is a more intellectual branch, that you'll be able to go to more exotic places. These things are all true but I 'm prior Army (now in the AFHPSP program) and you won't find a branch with nicer people. I started off in Navy ROTC in college (finished my last two years and got comissioned out of Army ROTC) and we used to always joke that the people that stayed in the Navy past their original 4 year contract really must have hated seeing their family. One of my close friends is in the Navy and he's had 2 6mth periods of time in the past 1.5 yrs on a ship. Plus you do get to go to all these cool places but my friend typically is in port only for a few days so they typically get liberty, party for a few nights and then get back on. I really don't see how partying in Thailan,d for two days, for example, is that much different than partying in Houston except that you can get some really cool trinkets to send home.

Some will argue that Navy life is more plush than the Army life in general (which is true) but the fact is that as a medical officer much of what is true for the enlisted corps definitely won't be true for you. Everyone tries to keep their docs happy. Additionally, the Army med corps is larger with more residency spots. Plus you'll have the opp to do some really hoah stuff like airborne school, air assault school and just general field training stuff that no other branch can offer. Considering family life, lifestyle, time away (underaway or on deployment), residency opportunities the rank goes like this in my mind AF>Army>Navy. Best of luck deciding. I had to make the same decision with AF vs. Army and I don't envy you.
 
PS-- and the GMO tours. These are most common in the Navy and give you extra points towards getting the residency that you want-- which basically guarentees you of the residency that you want once you're done. Downside (and what the recruiter won't tell you) is that they extend your time in (which isn't good if you want to do you contract and get out) and since the Navy is so heavily into GMO tours even if you know what you want to do and don't need some extra time to decide, you'll have to complete your GMO tour anyways. Also, don't believe the hype about the hot chow and showers-- like I said before, the life of an officer (esp a medical corps officer) is very much different than Private Snuffy. My boyfriend (Army Engineer Officer) is deployed to Iraq right now and I know it sucks living and being there, but they're living in air conditioned barracks and getting hot food. Plus during peactime, his job is stationary-- the Navy still has periods of being on a ship and underaway even during peacetime, away from your family and loved ones.
 
Quit picking on us squids!
First of all if you have never partied in Asia, don't try to compare it to the club scene in the US. It is like comparing Los Angeles to Iowa City. 4 days is all you can handle before you have to go out to sea, and rest. When we pull into a foreign city, it is for a bit of R & R. 4-5 days is about right. You can't launch an airstrike while anchored, but it gives the crew a chance to recharge and blow off lots of steam.

I agree AF is the cushiest, however, they still deploy.

The navy isn't for all people. We used to joke that our brothers in AF HPSP would probably not have a good time hanging with a bunch of sailors, esp. if you don't drink/party and have a good time. The undersea medicine/flight surgery is a good experience. I like the GMO tour that I am doing right now. Lots of time with the family post-deployment.

If you don't like being on a ship, go army. If you don't like going in harm's way and are looking for way for pay to school, look at alternative ways to pay for school. Also, if you can, go to hospitals in both services to see if you like either. Walter Reed and Bethesda are down the coast from you.
 
Umm yeah. I've gone partying with my Navy friends before and I've seen how you guys party-- I repeat there isn't much difference btwn partying in Thailand or partying in Houston (esp after the seventh beer ;-) I'm glad you're enjoying the Navy...
M
 
I would pick the Navy because every time I was cold and wet and humping 50lb ruck in the Army, I always got jellous thinking of my friend in the navy. His bed and his kitchen went everywere he went.
 
In regards to r90t, I'm currently at Fairchild in WA and the air force guys I have been hanging around with drink more than most of the Navy guys I have seen. Junior enlisted air force is like a 24/7 frat party.

The AF seems nice, but my experiences so far have also indicated that I may not enjoy the "unmilitary-like" atmosphere of the Air Force. Like I said, it seems more like they just wear uniforms to work than actually being in the military. Hell, I haven't even seen them call an officer, "sir". While that doesn't really matter, I just expected it to be part of their tradition or at least follow protocol.
 
I've been deployed to Desert Shield/Storm as a corpsman with the Marines; operations in Bosnia as a Respiratory Therapist with a Surgical team(Navy); Afghanistan as a combat medic with the Army. I have Experience working with all branches ( lots of AF medical in Afghanistan).....I say definately GO NAVY.....or AF(3 month deployments)...Army just out-right sucks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're still thinking about it this long, you'd better go Army.

Yoke is no joke.


Spang
 
Well, "unmilitary like" is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I hear about how we're so corporate, but I've spent several months in tents in the desert while flying out of Qatar. Spent plenty of time in Iraq and a couple of the 'stans. Saw some ground fire hitting the field I was on just before I pushed the throttles up to remove my asset from the threat.

Sirs, last names, and protocol aren't what make the military. Blowing stuff up and killing people is the military, the other stuff can be done by JROTC kids in high school and they're not military. Now I'm not saying that stuff isn't important, because I believe it is, but it's not what makes a branch or a unit "military".

The standard I'm used to is salute anyone who is above your rank (although sometimes 2nd lts won't salute 1st lts because it's a tough ID from any distance) and call everyone by rank and name unless they're near your rank (as a Capt, I call other Capts and Lts by their first name, or pretty much anyone in my crew who isn't a field grade officer).

Not criticizing, just explaining where I see the AF coming from! I'm just over the mountains by you - can see Rainier from my neighborhood : )

Chris

JKDMed said:
In regards to r90t, I'm currently at Fairchild in WA and the air force guys I have been hanging around with drink more than most of the Navy guys I have seen. Junior enlisted air force is like a 24/7 frat party.

The AF seems nice, but my experiences so far have also indicated that I may not enjoy the "unmilitary-like" atmosphere of the Air Force. Like I said, it seems more like they just wear uniforms to work than actually being in the military. Hell, I haven't even seen them call an officer, "sir". While that doesn't really matter, I just expected it to be part of their tradition or at least follow protocol.
 
Termwean said:
I've been deployed to Desert Shield/Storm as a corpsman with the Marines; operations in Bosnia as a Respiratory Therapist with a Surgical team(Navy); Afghanistan as a combat medic with the Army. I have Experience working with all branches ( lots of AF medical in Afghanistan).....I say definately GO NAVY.....or AF(3 month deployments)...Army just out-right sucks.


Why do you think this?
 
My experience with ther Army is that even junior officers get mistreated by officers that are senior to them. My experience witht he Navy medicine was different. Everyone was friendly, and they still got the job done.
 
So... I commissioned to the Army! Go 2LT me.... I felt like it was much closer "family atmosphere" in my Philadelphia HC Recruiters office... not that that's the main reason I chose! You guys all had great input, and I didn't think I could go wrong with either. (fyi, I did try for the Air Force first, but my AF recruiter had a one month earlier deadline for committee, so I missed it- just barely!). I also thought I could keep my horse with me if I was on land vs on a ship (something else to think about). And I got the impression that most Navy docs (on this site anyway) were very into the dive and flight medicine.. I'm sort of ambivalent at this point, but definitely appreciate the info about it! I am as single as you come (female), so family is no consideration to me as of yet- though I'd hope to be able to meet boys who aren't military b/c I've dated some and every one has turned out to be crazy (note: none were doctors/med students!). Once again, thanks. If anyone wants to PM me and let me know how next summer in TX will be, please do! I've heard fun things 🙂 And thanks again!!!
 
equestrian_doc said:
So... I commissioned to the Army! Go 2LT me....

snip

I am as single as you come (female), so family is no consideration to me as of yet- though I'd hope to be able to meet boys who aren't military b/c I've dated some and every one has turned out to be crazy (note: none were doctors/med students!). Once again, thanks. If anyone wants to PM me and let me know how next summer in TX will be, please do! I've heard fun things 🙂 And thanks again!!!

Congratulations on your commission! 🙂

Bought a silver dollar yet?

It takes a pretty confident civilian to marry a military woman. Of course those are the best kind, so you'd want one of them anyway, but don't rule out your fellow military members 😎
 
equestrian_doc said:
So... I commissioned to the Army! Go 2LT me.... I felt like it was much closer "family atmosphere" in my Philadelphia HC Recruiters office... not that that's the main reason I chose! You guys all had great input, and I didn't think I could go wrong with either. (fyi, I did try for the Air Force first, but my AF recruiter had a one month earlier deadline for committee, so I missed it- just barely!). I also thought I could keep my horse with me if I was on land vs on a ship (something else to think about). And I got the impression that most Navy docs (on this site anyway) were very into the dive and flight medicine.. I'm sort of ambivalent at this point, but definitely appreciate the info about it! I am as single as you come (female), so family is no consideration to me as of yet- though I'd hope to be able to meet boys who aren't military b/c I've dated some and every one has turned out to be crazy (note: none were doctors/med students!). Once again, thanks. If anyone wants to PM me and let me know how next summer in TX will be, please do! I've heard fun things 🙂 And thanks again!!!

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the army med corp! And I second Moose Pilot's comment about not writing off all of us army guys, it's really the navy guys that you have to watch out for 😉