Help! Biochem Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angel_Eyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!!

I have to do a 500 wd essay about drugs that increases oxygen flow to the muscles in athletes. Does anyone have any kind of info on the drug "EPO" (used by cyclist) Or any other drug that manipulates myoglobin?

A web site would be helpful if you have it!! Thanks guys...
I'll be online but not on SDN, I'll check back later.

Thanks!!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

"EPO" refers to erythropoietin, the hormone responsible for production of erythrocytes, ie. RBC's, which are directly responsible for oxygen transport in the body. taking EPO will effectively increase one's O2 carry capacity and i'm pretty sure it's illegal to use as an athletic supplement in the olympics,etc.

physiologically, EPO is produced by the kidneys in response to situations in which the body signals a need for greater O2 delivery to the tissues. say for instance you move to Denver, CO, where the atmospheric O2 concentration is less than a joint closer to sea-level, over a period of time (~2weeks) your body will increase EPO output, thus increasing your RBC volume, resulting in a greater O2-carrying capacity. simple, huh.
same would happen if a person is anemic, such as from an occult GI bleed. the body would sense this and signal an increase of EPO to help restore RBC volume.

check the web...do a search for EPO. i'm sure you'll find some in depth info. this is just stuff off the top of my head...hope it helps.

Scott-MSII
PCOM

EPO doping is illegal in the Olympics.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best is when athletes donate a few units of their own blood, wait a few weeks til their hematocrits come up again and then autotransfuse their own blood. It's impossible to detect anything fishy going on there so it's the ultimate Olympics advantage.

Thanks for all of your help guys!!
My essay is written and is pretty informative!!

:clap: ...now if I could only get to those secondarys :rolleyes:

Walrus.... you're refering to Blood Boosting. Mimics the effects of EPO and has the same risks associated with it. I put that in my essay too.

Thanks again everyone!!:D