Help! Biology Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLOSS UR TEETH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am having trouble getting a letter from a Biology professor. I have only taken General Biology I and II. I am having a tough time reaching my professor who taught these classes. She was the only Biology teacher I have had in college..what do I do? Is there any way around this? I have taken Biochemistry, but it's of course part of my Chemistry department.... Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't necessarily need a letter from a bio prof. Most schools just require one or two letters from science professors. Have you stopped by your professors' office? If you try to make an appointment with them by email, they may not respond if they don't recognize your name right away.

You don't necessarily need a letter from a bio prof. Most schools just require one or two letters from science professors. Have you stopped by your professors' office? If you try to make an appointment with them by email, they may not respond if they don't recognize your name right away.

I sent an e-mail to her and didn't receive a response. I sent another one a week later and still no response. I was a good student and received an A in both classes. One of them was also an honors section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I am having trouble getting a letter from a Biology professor. I have only taken General Biology I and II. I am having a tough time reaching my professor who taught these classes. She was the only Biology teacher I have had in college..what do I do? Is there any way around this? I have taken Biochemistry, but it's of course part of my Chemistry department.... Thanks for any help.

If you have a school that is requiring a Biology-type LOR, it means any biological science (Biology, Histology, Microbiology, and yes I believe even biochemistry would be considered a biology class even if it was offered by the chemistry department)

Call the school and see if they are okay with accepting the biochemistry LOR as biology... Im sure they'll be okay with it

If you have a school that is requiring a Biology-type LOR, it means any biological science (Biology, Histology, Microbiology, and yes I believe even biochemistry would be considered a biology class even if it was offered by the chemistry department)

Call the school and see if they are okay with accepting the biochemistry LOR as biology... Im sure they'll be okay with it

Thanks for the info.. if my school offers a committee letter then I will try and do that. However, would I need a biology letter if I do the committee as well or is that just for individual letters sent out? Thanks.

Thanks for the info.. if my school offers a committee letter then I will try and do that. However, would I need a biology letter if I do the committee as well or is that just for individual letters sent out? Thanks.

I don't have any experience with committees..my school didn't have such.... so I can't answer that.

However, I do believe that if your school does offer the committee service, you should jump on it, it makes things easier than individual LORs

Okay, well I just asked my pre-health advisor and he said our school does NOT offer a committee letter. I really hope that doesn't have a negative effect on my application. Now I am very worried about getting a Biology reference.. Does any one else know if Biochemistry will count??

Okay, well I just asked my pre-health advisor and he said our school does NOT offer a committee letter. I really hope that doesn't have a negative effect on my application. Now I am very worried about getting a Biology reference.. Does any one else know if Biochemistry will count??

lol they are not going to flag you if you dont have a committee letter. Some schools actually refer you get 3 LORs instead of 1 from committee

Example: Creighton

http://www.creighton.edu/dentalscho...students/applicationprocess/index.php#c102467

committee vs individual LORs is the same really.

But from the applicant point of view, its less headache to obtain and send 1 committee vs 3-4 LORs

committee vs individual LORs is the same really.

But from the applicant point of view, its less headache to obtain and send 1 committee vs 3-4 LORs

I definitely agree with you on that. Now, I will probably use interfolio.. has anyone used this system? Is it time consuming for the professors to set up an account and upload their letter?

Or you can just have them directly upload it to AADSAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks dental works. From what you said, the professor receives an e-mail from interfolio and in the e-mail they are able to upload their letter. Is this correct?

I just don't want my professors thinking this is some scam either..

yes... but at least talk to the professor first lol... let him/her know that they'll be getting an email from interfolio about the LOR... some professors tend to delete emails before opening them if they don't recognize the sender

I see...kinda sucks
I wish all the schools coordinated this better and make this thing global

Its March, that means he should be on campus, look up his office hours and stop by..

I agree with you on that one. Some require Biology, some Physics, some non-science, some all three of those and by then we passed our 4 letter limit and have to send the extra letters individually..

Anyways, any suggestions on how to ask my professor for a letter considering I e-mailed her and she didn't respond? I got her office hours and will visit then. I just feel like the situation is awkward b/c she didn't respond lol..

I agree with you on that one. Some require Biology, some Physics, some non-science, some all three of those and by then we passed our 4 letter limit and have to send the extra letters individually..

Anyways, any suggestions on how to ask my professor for a letter considering I e-mailed her and she didn't respond? I got her office hours and will visit then. I just feel like the situation is awkward b/c she didn't respond lol..

I can't tell you what that means... but when its something this important (and personal), you should always ask in-person..... LOR request via email is (IMO at least) unprofessional and makes it seem like your too good to stop by and say "hello"

I can't tell you what that means... but when its something this important (and personal), you should always ask in-person..... LOR request via email is (IMO at least) unprofessional and makes it seem like your too good to stop by and say "hello"

Does this still apply to professors you are not taking courses from anymore?

I have a family member who is a professor. He has his work e-mail account set to only accept e-mails from .edu addresses. Maybe your biology professor has done the same thing and hasn't received your e-mails?

Just chiming in, I submitted my application with two letters from chemistry professors. I don't think any of the schools require a biology LOR.

Just chiming in, I submitted my application with two letters from chemistry professors. I don't think any of the schools require a biology LOR.

Some schools specify Biology professor and some just say science. To be safe I'm checking each school's requirements to make sure I've satisfied the ones I'm applying to.

I have a family member who is a professor. He has his work e-mail account set to only accept e-mails from .edu addresses. Maybe your biology professor has done the same thing and hasn't received your e-mails?

A lot of the profs I emailed didn't respond. They probably get spammed with so many requests from people they don't know that they just don't bother replying.