Help choosing math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stgermaine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I recently dropped Linear Algebra so it shows as a W on my transcript.

I heard that anything past Calc II/AP Calc BC is not necessary for the MCAT.
Should I take additional math courses or do my AP credits suffice math requirements for premed?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need Calculus for the MCAT. Only about 5 schools require two semesters of Calculus. Some require 1 semester, some only require a year of college math, and some let you take Statistics or Calc. Some don't accept AP math. Some accept it but only if supplemented with higher level math. You kinda need an idea of what schools you plan to target eventually so you can check out what they require.

Which schools require 2 semesters of calc?

I might take multivariable calculus. Would taking Calculus II look bad especially since I withdrew from linear algebra?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I recently dropped Linear Algebra so it shows as a W on my transcript.

I heard that anything past Calc II/AP Calc BC is not necessary for the MCAT.
Should I take additional math courses or do my AP credits suffice math requirements for premed?

Thanks!

Harvard for example requires Calc I & II. If you took Linear Algebra, then you must already have Calc I & II - those are pre-reqs for that class at most places.

If you're aiming for Harvard or a few other schools, you can take it or if you enjoy it. If you don't really enjoy math, I would take a semester of Statistics and then if you think you're competitive and/or accepted into Harvard or similar schools, take calc II over the summer or in the spring semester before matriculation.

in general, math pre reqs are the exception to the admissions rule that AP's are not ok by themselves. currently only Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and Wash U require two semesters of calculus, and last I knew they all accepted stand-alone AP credit for them. Harvard is dropping the two semester requirement starting with the class of 2016, in favor of any one-year combo of calc or stats.

if you already have credit for the BC exam, for the love of all that is holy please don't take Calc again. what a criminal waste of time. Instead, take statistics (preferably Biostats). It is recommended nearly everywhere now, and more schools are requiring it every year.

Even if you should manage to find one school years from now that doesn't accept AP for calc, your background ought to be sufficient to be considered and then matriculate. If for some bizarre reason it isn't, you can always take something over the summer before you start.

So just filling out math requirements with AP credits doesnt affect your chances?

I'm a math major and I say just take two semesters of Statistics....

So just filling out math requirements with AP credits doesnt affect your chances?

it worked for me :D and my AP credits were very old. My point is that this isn't something you need to address now. On the exceedingly remote chance it becomes an issue later, you will have an opportunity to fix it.

what i would hate to see you do is waste class schedule slots on courses you've already had and been awarded credit for. it really is pointless.

Which schools require 2 semesters of calc?

I might take multivariable calculus. Would taking Calculus II look bad especially since I withdrew from linear algebra?

i would advice to take caution since this is like calc 2 on steroids.

I've got a question for you Catalystik, I'm taking biochemistry and statistics this spring at UT austin (register for classes tomorrow). They're my last two classes before medical school! Anyways, there's tons of different statistics classes offered at UT, which one is the class usually taken by pre med students?

btw, I took business cal and business stats as an undergrad, been a long time though so I'm not jumping for joy about a hard math class. (Finance major)

I'd just come in and chat with you in person but I live in Dallas currently. Long walk for a 5 minute chat. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd just take Calculus II but the thing is that on my transcript it shows that I withdrew from Linear Algebra, so I'm afraid that might have a negative impact.

I'll just take Calc II if theres no significant impact, Multi if there is a significant impact

Stats can be handy, especially the probability part of it.

For example you only need 23 people to have >50% that two share a birthday. A lot less than one would expect.

And in class we did this example where the cancer rate is 1:1000 in the general population, and that a certain cancer test had a 10% of false-negatives and 1% chance of false-positives. Given this information we can prove that if the test is positive there is only a 9% chance you actually have cancer.

It makes you truly realize that not everything is at it seems.

I've got a question for you Catalystik, I'm taking biochemistry and statistics this spring at UT austin (register for classes tomorrow). They're my last two classes before medical school! Anyways, there's tons of different statistics classes offered at UT, which one is the class usually taken by pre med students?

btw, I took business cal and business stats as an undergrad, been a long time though so I'm not jumping for joy about a hard math class. (Finance major)
From UT Austin's website:
MATHEMATICS: 3 or 4 SEM. HRS. - Calculus or statistics** (required for most medical schools but not for dental school) [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]M 408C - Differential & Integral Calculus ..OR [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]M 408K - Differential Calculus ..OR [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]M 408N –Calculus for Scientists ..
OR [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]M 316, SSC 302, SSC 303, SSC 304, or BIO 318M ..
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]** ..
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Beginning with the 2012 entering class, one semester of statistics will be required for all dental schools in Texas. Texas Tech, Texas A&M, San Antonio, and Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine will also require statistics. Statistics courses taught in the social sciences or education will not be accepted. Check out-of-state schools for specific math or statistics requirements. ..
Check out SSC 302/303/304 and see if they look too basic.

Last edited:
Longhorn if you have a question for catalyst why dont you PM him/her instead of hijacking this thread....

Anyway, does taking Calc II look bad after withdrawing from Linear Algebra?

Even if someone microanalyzed your transcript in that much detail, which I doubt, you can surely think of a good reason if asked about it. "I realized my grounding wasn't all it could have been from HS classes and i wanted to really get a grip on it, so blah,, blah, blah. . . ."

Longhorn if you have a question for catalyst why dont you PM him/her instead of hijacking this thread....

Anyway, does taking Calc II look bad after withdrawing from Linear Algebra?

He doesn't accept PMs mr. 10 posts. :smuggrin:

@Catalystik As I thought. I'll just take calc II then
@Longwhorn My apologies Mr. 140 posts

holy @$^% dude, i just took my second calc 3 midterm yesterday, i died. the entire class haven't even left the exam when the time was up. i think i might have gotten, at best, a 30. man i am never gonna make it as a doctor. this sucks.

The thing I discovered in college is that you can't blame your score on the test because it's on a curve...the harder the test the easier the curve

Calc 3's not on the MCAT, right? SO dont worry too much..

There is not an ounce of calculus on the MCAT. Algebra-based physics is what's required, and you won't be given problems with math beyond that.