Help, current vet school applicant and nervous about applying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emantis2

VMCVM ‘26
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I'm a current applicant and starting to second guess applying this year. My GPA is around 3.4 overall, but hoping to be closer to a 3.5 after this semester. My last 45 credit hour GPA will be 3.8. I have over 1,000 hours of equine veterinary experience from a summer internship, a work a veterinary technician at a small animal hospital now, I have experience with exotics and farm animals, I am in the process of doing research with a professor and working with the lab animals and veterinarians. I am also involved in a sorority at my University where I hold a leadership position plus a few clubs. My recommendation letters are going to be from 3 vets I have worked extremely close with a professor who would have nothing but great things to say. Sorry for the blab but I am genuinelconcerned about my GPA as it isn't as competitive as I would like it to be. Is that a reason I should hold off on applying or does the rest of my application make up for it? I would love to know your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's the worst thing that could happen?

You.. don't get into vet school. Which is the same thing that is guaranteed if you don't apply. ;)

The downside is obviously money and time spent on application, but honestly even if you don't get in your application will be that much better the second time around for being able to revise, do file reviews, have practice with interviews... if you have the pre-reqs done, go for it.

This probably should go in what are my chances though.

I always advice to apply with the best application you can purely to save money (after not applying with my best application and wasting a boat load of money). However, I'd recommend applying in your case cause you have an overall decent app, especially if you apply smart. Focus on schools that don't factor in the cumulative GPA and/or focus on the last 45 GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Just commenting to let you know that your stats look v similar to mine both GPA and animal experience-wise (except I had 0 research experience, but as a non-trad had a lot of business-related experience).

I was accepted to 4/6 schools on my first try for c/o 2025 (1 US, 2 Carribean, and 1 Australian) so I'd say you definitely have a shot :)
Make sure to apply smart and your sup apps such as essay, LOR, GRE are strong!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone!!

I'm a current applicant and starting to second guess applying this year. My GPA is around 3.4 overall, but hoping to be closer to a 3.5 after this semester. My last 45 credit hour GPA will be 3.8. I have over 1,000 hours of equine veterinary experience from a summer internship, a work a veterinary technician at a small animal hospital now, I have experience with exotics and farm animals, I am in the process of doing research with a professor and working with the lab animals and veterinarians. I am also involved in a sorority at my University where I hold a leadership position plus a few clubs. My recommendation letters are going to be from 3 vets I have worked extremely close with a professor who would have nothing but great things to say. Sorry for the blab but I am genuinelconcerned about my GPA as it isn't as competitive as I would like it to be. Is that a reason I should hold off on applying or does the rest of my application make up for it? I would love to know your opinions.

also here to say your stats are fairly similar to mine - though i've got wildlife where you've got equine - and i got into my two top US schools and a Caribbean school. plus you've got leadership, which i didn't really have. you never know what the schools are looking for. if you feel you are ready, you may as well apply; if you don't get in, at least you'll know where you stand.