Help deciding between MWU- CCOM and DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dawn1218

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

CCOM vs DMU!
I’m really struggling with this decision. I’m from central Wisconsin, and my fiancé is going to stay here while I attend med school, so CCOM is closer but much more expensive. Also, I am hoping to go into neuro, maybe some other specialty, but I am not really interested in primary care.

CCOM Pros:
-seem to not push primary care
-3.5 hours from fiancé
-good rotations

CCOM Cons:
-I will be taking on 150K more in debt.
-so many quizzes and tests during those first years (250 + )
-environment isn’t as chill as DMU

DMU Pros:
-cheaper tuition and cost of living!
-equally as established as CCOM ?
-seemingly collaborative environment

DMU cons:
-rotations aren’t as good apparently, and they’re not ward based
-5.5 hours from fiancé/family
-maybe more focused on family med??

Overall, I am so torn. I don’t want to go half a million in debt but I also want to have the best possible setup for placing into neurology! Would seriously appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

DMU hands down. CCOM isn't worth that price tag in the slightest.

Neurology isn't competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to CCOM for all the other benefits you mentioned then just do PSLF to knock out your loans. 4 years of Neuro then another 6 at a non-profit hospital (most neuro jobs qualify and neuro is in HIGH demand). You'll end up paying ~160k through PSLF and the rest will be forgiven. P

You'll get a better education and it'll open up more opportunities for you (CCOM is on par with low-tier MD). Plus you'll be closer to your fiance/family and match closer for residency. If this past year of COVID taught me anything its that sometimes picking comfort over a few dollars (in your case its indifferent if you do PSLF) is worth it.
Got a source for that? Have any PDs said that on record?

Reactions: 1 user
DMU, for the drastically lower tuition. Neuro isn't competitive. In the past few years, DMU students have matched at Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic for neuro (very strong programs). And someone this year at DMU matched into a neuro program in your home state of Wisconsin, actually.

Go to CCOM for all the other benefits you mentioned then just do PSLF to knock out your loans. 4 years of Neuro then another 6 at a non-profit hospital (most neuro jobs qualify and neuro is in HIGH demand). You'll end up paying ~160k through PSLF and the rest will be forgiven. P

You'll get a better education and it'll open up more opportunities for you (CCOM is on par with low-tier MD). Plus you'll be closer to your fiance/family and match closer for residency. If this past year of COVID taught me anything its that sometimes picking comfort over a few dollars (in your case its indifferent if you do PSLF) is worth it.

This is some of the worst advice I've seen on SDN in a long time.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I hope I am not too late but I am a second year at CCOM, and actually chose it over DMU and KCU. I would definitely recommend you pick DMU because of the cost. Family is important and if your fiancé was in Chicago I would perhaps give different advice. But DMU is equal to CCOM and the cost is so much cheaper. If I could go back in time I would not go to CCOM because of the significant debt I have decided to take on. Also something about this administration just rubs students the wrong way. I didn’t believe it at first but now I feel it too. Probably something to do with the tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope I am not too late but I am a second year at CCOM, and actually chose it over DMU and KCU. I would definitely recommend you pick DMU because of the cost. Family is important and if your fiancé was in Chicago I would perhaps give different advice. But DMU is equal to CCOM and the cost is so much cheaper. If I could go back in time I would not go to CCOM because of the significant debt I have decided to take on. Also something about this administration just rubs students the wrong way. I didn’t believe it at first but now I feel it too. Probably something to do with the tuition.
You’re awesome for this reply!! I went with DMU.. and I start in a few weeks. Very happy I did not go with Midwestern.

Reactions: 1 users