Help! Don't know what to Do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused&Dazed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. First I'd like to congratulate those that kicked arse on the April MCAT, and wish those that have to take it in August (possibly with me :eek: ) luck.

I just checked my MCAT score and got a 27O (10, 8, 9). This was a bit lower than what I expected, especially in the PS section. I am debating whether I should retake it in August. I know this is a very average score, and it definitely needs to be raised to increase my chances to going to an allopathic school. Only problem is, I just graduated from UF, and am moving to TX to start a job very soon. I am afraid I won't have time to study like I need to for the August MCAT (having to pack, move there, etc.) and can't afford to screw up the second time as well. I will also be working 50-60 hrs at this new job (I REALLY need the money!). I don't want to say yes to Aug. MCAT on AMCAS and then opt out cause i don't feel confident, or put down no and have schools ignore me cause they think I don't want to improve the score. I was scoring between 30-34 on the practice tests, just screwed up royally on the real thing (didn't finish some passages). But i don't know how much i retained and how much time i will have to recoup all the stuff i forgot! Also, i'm kinda burnt out...I've been in school a while in a somewhat tough programme (my senior project was ~ 200 pgs!) and I'm tired. I am trying to stay lively on the home stretch but am stressing out. Man I feel like an idiot after that showing on the MCAT.

Anyway, my stats are as follows:
BCPM: > 3.6
Overall: 3.594
Chemical Engineering degree (Chemistry minor-not that this means much :laugh: ) I know, I know what the heck happened in the PS section haha. I'm an enginner and until the real thing it was me strongest section. That's life i guess.

I am caucasian male who's currently a FL resident but may have to switch to TX cause of job (I have a friend in the same situation but he was lucky enough to score decent on the dreaded test).

Good EC's, great diverse background, research (but not medically related-more R&D engineering stuff), 2 languages (fluent-that's including english though!), 3 major internships with a multibillion dollar company where I contributed quite a bit (no grabbing coffee, stapling here!), piano, black belts in karate and tae kwon do etc. I anticipate v. good LOR's and have a pretty good PS. I know that many, many premed people have these credentials and more, and a much better MCAT, but i just wanted to tell you all a little about myself so you get an overall picture of what i'm working with.

I'm going insane trying to figure out what i should do. I'm definitely going to apply to A LOT of schools (thank God for the job-i'm running close to empty on funds), but that bloody MCAT screwed me over.

Any suggestions, no matter how brutally honest will be greatly appreciated and I wish everyone applying, and those in med school (or going to attend in the fall) luck with everything.

Cheers,
C&D

PS. sorry for the long first post. I only found out about this place through a friend (same one that's moving to TX as well) a couple days ago and am already addicted.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you can get into medschool with those scores, probably even next year. But, if you don't think those scores represent you, that you can do better, and that you are willing to retake, I recommend applying this cycle, while studying up and retaking in August.

Medikit,

Thanks for your advice. Godd luck with all that you're doing.

Anyone else got any thoughts, or is my post a little too long? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake, if you have the $$$ apply and see what happens but PLAN on retaking at some point. Although folks do get in with less than 29 scores (the average for incoming med students is like a 29.something) most folks have 28 and up..

Thanks efex,

yeah that's what I thought, but I am scared that I won't be able to study enough or do it right, and screw it up again and blow my chances at ANY school. Guess I'm just going to have to buckle down these next couple of months, forget sleeping and pray!

Well, no. Apply this year and do NOT put on amcas that you are retaking. See what happens. If you do not get in then retake mcat next april and that way you KNOW you will have time to study and then you will be able to apply to texas schools (next cycle). Remember I am pretty sure that for texas you have to work there for a year to be considered resident...hopefull some texans can shed light on that issue. What you do NOT want to do is put down retake in August and then not have time and really bomb it....

Register to vote, drivers license, taxes immediately. :)

I always seem to say something stupid on this forum and get my head bitten off by someone, but here it goes anyway.

I don't think you should take MCAT over this August, especially when you have so much going on. Relocation is a BIG STRESS! I think your credentials are really good, much better than mine actually, and your chances at medical schools are good. If MCAT is a problem, why not wait until things settle down a little, and then give your 100% effort in preparation? If my undergrad stats were somewhat comparable to yours, I would have quit my corporate job last year to study for the MCAT and apply - even if that means I had to wash dishes in some cheesy restaurant for the remainder of the year. Please don't take this in a condescending way, but important thing here is not when to take MCAT - it's making sure that YOU GET IN! What's an extra year or two in a long run? It's much easier for me to say, having stayed out of the game for 8 years before applying again (and finally in!!).

Chill, settle down, kick some b**t on MCAT when you do take it again, and maybe we will get to congratulate you on your acceptance to some top notch school :)

The average MCAT score at several TX schools is a 27. Perhaps taking a year off, getting TX residency, and decidng whether or not you want to retake next April is a wise move?

Yeah, and Texas really is nice.. I mean it. I think there are states with even lower MCATs but there are so many options here. Please tell me you are not in Cali or NY.