MD Help finalizing my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bolt33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance, I'm trying to finalize my school list so I can submit in the next ~2 weeks.

Basic Stats:
cGPA: 3.70
sGPA: 3.56
MCAT: 32 (p10/b11/v11)
FL resident

Clinical:
- 2 years working for Peace Corps in a rural hospital in Mongolia.
- 60 hrs of volunteering at a clinic in Peru doing health screenings on orphans.

Shadowing:
~100 hrs shadowing a Pediatrician, Neonatologist, and Cardiac Surgeon

Volunteering:
- 2 years in Peace Corps, founding a disabilities center, teaching English, translating medical information, and a variety of other things I haven't yet figured out how to translate onto a med school application.
~300 hrs of volunteering at habitat for humanity, a local homeless shelter, doing STD prevention campaigns, and fundraising for charities through a club in college.
~300 hrs tutoring STEM and health subjects to elementary school kids in rural elementary schools.

Research:
~150 hrs research at a hospital on risk factors for post-surgical complications which resulted in a poster presentation at a national conference. Additionally helped set up a screening program to detect risk factors for sudden cardiac death among high school athletes.

Teaching:
-120 hrs as a T.A. for a microbiology lab.
-400 hrs as a Teacher/Trainer for the new Peace Corps Health Volunteers.

Work Experience:
~20 hrs a week for one semester at a local restaurant
- 2 summers as a "freelance" painter (I printed advertisements and found my own clients, I'm not really sure if I should put this on there though as I'd really be the only contact, right now it's under a catch-all of work experience.)

Hobbies:
Advanced/Rescue Scuba Diver
Marathon running

Schools:

USF
UCF
FSU
FIU
FAU
Albert Einstein
Columbia
Georgetown
George Washington
Northwestern
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Jefferson
SUNY Buffalo
Colorado
Pitt
Washington

The reason UF isn't on there is because they won't accept my MCAT score because it's just before their cut-off date.

Any additions or cuts would be supremely helpful.

Thanks again gentle humans of SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should add Miami. Other schools where you could receive an interview are:
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
New York Medical
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Wake Forest
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Your Peace Corps work will be a big plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I was thinking about adding NY med and Temple already.

Is it even worth applying to both Georgetown and George Washington since it seems like everyone and their third cousin applies their as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Add the schools @Faha mentioned. Remove Columbia and Washington. I would be hard pressed to keep Northwestern or Pitt on your list as well.

If you like GW and Georgetown apply.

Couple others to consider: USC UVA Einstein Maryland Mayo Ohio State. All long-shots for sure but you have enough in your application to perhaps make them worth an application fee.

@Bru I've got family and friends there, and the new campus looks really nice. Although I should probably take another look through them.

I think I'll cut Washington and keep, Pitt, Northwestern, and Columbia as long-shot dream reaches, I can only afford to add maybe 4-5 more schools so I'll do some research into the schools on that list.