help for a (neurotic) newbie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Focus on improving....

• GPA

• MCAT Score

Results are only viewable after voting.

AddisonMontgomeryMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you apply DO? What were you scoring on practice MCATs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is reasonably competitive and I don't see it going up much in a year. A 30 is ok but before retaking and focusing a year on that you should be sure you can make a significant improvement.

I voted for MCAT but realistically I think you should be able to get into an MD school, even with those numbers. You are only a bit below average (31, 3.7)...

Focus on MCAT. Your GPA is fine (albeit not stellar), and may go up a touch after your senior year. Don't retake the MCAT unless you're confident you can raise your score by at least 3 points. Also your Mcat may expire if you took it after your sophomore year.

In any case I wouldnt count yourself down and out yet either

i don't think there is anything worth fixing with a postbacc or masters. a masters is basically an extended EC for most apps, anyway. you can retake any C prereqs (could be 1 or 2) and reapply MD and new apply top DO schools very early next cycle. only retake MCAT if you truly believe you can go up at least 2 points. it's really risky with a good score like 30 because you might go down.

Thanks guys I appreciate the constructive feedback. I'm trying not to count myself out yet, but I have to admit I am discouraged at the moment.

I agree it's risky to retake the MCAT at a 30, once heard it shows entitlement or poor decision making if you don't improve. I would certainly do some soul searching as well as NUMEROUS practice tests, not only to become familiar with the new test format, but also to be sure I would see improvement.

Your GPA is pretty decent and I would not bother retaking the MCAT. If it was me, I would apply to DO schools next year if I did not get in this year along with MD schools and not worry about retaking the MCAT or pay for a graduate program. I would just do research if you do not have research already and work part-time in the medical field. If you have some research then I would try to find a job in the medical field like a scribe or CNA or something in order to save a little money and strengthen ECs (because they can never be too strong) and just do that. If anything, I would take a few extra upper level science courses like 1-2 each semester before you reapply if you do not get any acceptances this cycle (like biochem, immunology, genetics, pathophysiology, A&P, histology, parasitology, etc depending on what you have taken and what your school offers)

Thanks guys I appreciate the constructive feedback. I'm trying not to count myself out yet, but I have to admit I am discouraged at the moment.

I agree it's risky to retake the MCAT at a 30, once heard it shows entitlement or poor decision making if you don't improve. I would certainly do some soul searching as well as NUMEROUS practice tests, not only to become familiar with the new test format, but also to be sure I would see improvement.

I think you should probably focusing on retaking the MCAT. If you are a senior now, and took it when a sophomore, that means it might be invalid going into next year. Most if not all schools will not take an MCAT score that's over three years old.

Your GPA is fine. Don't bother trying to raise it anymore. MCAT is on the lower end up of fine. Honestly, if you want to make sure you get in somewhere next cycle, just apply to a couple of DOs as well. Of course, if your MCAT is no longer going to be valid for another cycle, you might be forced to retake it.

1) Where all did you apply?

2) It's not too late in the cycle to add DO's. Add em' if you want to start med school next year.

3) If you are gunning for the MD and don't get in this cycle there are two things to think about a) Where did you apply. If you didnt apply very broadly or realistically, a better list might do the trick b) If your list is fine I might give some consideration to re-taking the MCAT. The GPA's are good enough and while the sGPA is on the lower end of things, it's sufficient and honestly there's not much you can do to raise it that much really. A post-bacc or SMP would be stupid. I'll add with the caveat I would only re-take the MCAT if my practice test scores were considerably higher than what my practice test scores were the first time around. If you re-take you need to show real improvement, 514+ has to be the standard.

Again guys, thank you all so much. I'm blown away by the wealth of responses and it is very helpful to have so many inputs to help me think through my options.

I took the MCAT August of 2014--is it three years before application or three years before matriculation?

I get the sense that GPA recovery is unnecessary and wouldn't even be effective. I am going to hold out hope for this cycle, but begin to study and gear up for the MCAT round two, taking lots of practice tests along the way to be sure my score will improve. If I don't improve, I will not retake.

But best case scenario, I get excepted later this cycle!!! hehe

Your state schools would be most receptive for your chances. With some killer ECs, especially in terms of service to others, a decent number of low tier MD schools (and ALL DO schools) will be interested in you.

Hi Guys!

I'm new here, obviously—but am so impressed by all the wonderful advice being given here that I thought I'd try my luck.

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I applied this cycle as a undergrad senior and unfortunately have not been getting shining results—two interviews yielding two deferrals (I know they're not rejections, but most likely will turn into waitlists, which is still not where I want to be....). I know that it's early on in the cycle, but I am a pessimist/realist and want to prepare for a gap year as I applied early and feel as though I have been passed up on by many of my schools.

First, my stats are low, I'm the first to admit—I probably should have waited to apply, I know that. So rather than confirming that, I would appreciate some help looking forward!

MCAT: 30 even distribution
sGPA: 3.5
cGPA: 3.7 (competitive undergrad, but still no excuses)
I am confident in my research and volunteering ECs.

OPTION 1: Apply for Graduate Program to recover GPA
OPTION 2: Work/Research for a gap year, and retake MCAT

I am leaning towards retaking the MCAT. I originally took it without having taken college physics (due to schedule conflicts), I now have that course under my belt as well as a number of other classes that will certainly help me. I feel confident that with appropriate study habits and time I can improve my score.

My question to you is should I work on improving my GPA or my MCAT. Ideally both, but which carries more weight if I need to focus on one?

I don't think grad school is the answer, med schools focus more on undergrad grades.

Will your senior year grades boost your science GPA? If not, can you tweak your Spring schedule to include a BCPM class that you'll get an A in for sure?

What is the breakdown of your MCAT? 10, 10, 10?

I think retaking the MCAT is a good idea as long as you can score higher than the equivalent MCAT 30.

In what month was your app "complete"?

What state are you in? Where did you apply?

Hi @Goro, thanks for weighing in! Unfortunately I'm a resident of Maine, so no state allopathic school—though there is Maine Track through Tufts... which is one of the places I was deferred, ugh. Would a letter of interest / intent help out? I know you say love letters don't work....

@SOMBound13 — My senior year grades should absolutely boost by GPA, my best semester yet actually. Is it appropriate to send a grade update to my deferral schools at the end of the semester? (@Goro ???) I think GPA/MCAT are my weakest links so perhaps a grade update showing I performed well in my classes this semester {Comparative Physiology, Physics and Advanced Theory Calc} will slightly make up for the adcoms thinking I might not be able to do the work.

Was complete mid to late July. A lot of my schools are beginning to double back to July, reviewing or giving out IIs in a non linear fashion so I'm holding out hope.

I used the MSAR immensely in making my list so I think I am okay on that front, but who knows. Applied to mostly east coast, lower tier to middle, though I am realizing many of my schools are low yield (Gtown/Tufts/GW/Tulane etc.).

Hi @Goro, thanks for weighing in! Unfortunately I'm a resident of Maine, so no state allopathic school—though there is Maine Track through Tufts... which is one of the places I was deferred, ugh. Would a letter of interest / intent help out? I know you say love letters don't work....

@SOMBound13 — My senior year grades should absolutely boost by GPA, my best semester yet actually. Is it appropriate to send a grade update to my deferral schools at the end of the semester? (@Goro ???) I think GPA/MCAT are my weakest links so perhaps a grade update showing I performed well in my classes this semester {Comparative Physiology, Physics and Advanced Theory Calc} will slightly make up for the adcoms thinking I might not be able to do the work.

Was complete mid to late July. A lot of my schools are beginning to double back to July, reviewing or giving out IIs in a non linear fashion so I'm holding out hope.

I used the MSAR immensely in making my list so I think I am okay on that front, but who knows. Applied to mostly east coast, lower tier to middle, though I am realizing many of my schools are low yield (Gtown/Tufts/GW/Tulane etc.).

Ok...you didn't submit late.

Glad to see that you expect your senior grades to boost. Definitely update.

I think the problem is this....you've applied to mostly NE and Mid-Atlantic SOMs and Tulane. I think those SOMs get too many high stats applicants. I don't think that they accept many un-hooked 3.5 science GPA students.

If you have to reapply:

Study and retake MCAT...keeping in mind the new material.
Your GPA will be higher for next cycle. What would your cum and science GPA's likely be?
Apply to more mid-tier Midwest privates...like SLU, Creighton, Loyola Chicago, MCW, etc.

How do I go about doing an update once those grades come out—does it require a verified transcript or would I just write an update like any other and include that info?

I'm sorry my last post probably was't as clear as it should have been, I applied mostly NE and Mid-Atl but did dabble elsewhere, SLU and Creighton are on my list and I am still hopeful. Though if I reapply I will certainly include the privates that you mentioned as well as do some MSAR research to identify and include others.

If I may pump you for a bit more advice.... My app is very research heavy, do you have an input on what I could do next year if I need to apply in terms of a full time, paying, job that would strengthen other areas of my application. Is scribing a good option? I would love to work non-profit but is that to far away from the clinical realm of things?

How do I go about doing an update once those grades come out—does it require a verified transcript or would I just write an update like any other and include that info?

I'm sorry my last post probably was't as clear as it should have been, I applied mostly NE and Mid-Atl but did dabble elsewhere, SLU and Creighton are on my list and I am still hopeful. Though if I reapply I will certainly include the privates that you mentioned as well as do some MSAR research to identify and include others.

If I may pump you for a bit more advice.... My app is very research heavy, do you have an input on what I could do next year if I need to apply in terms of a full time, paying, job that would strengthen other areas of my application. Is scribing a good option? I would love to work non-profit but is that to far away from the clinical realm of things?
An unofficial transcript is fine.

MCAT. Your grades are fine. I would focus on polishing your PS and building up ECs in the mean time. Scribing is fine.

Apply more broadly next time.