Help for DO seeking student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crotchrocketer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated with a B.A. History in 2012

2.75 GPA (science and overall about the same with an upward trend from almost failing out first 2 years)

26 (8 ps, 9, 9) N July 27th 2012

Shadowing and Volunteer Experience with good LOR from my O-chem prof and Pre-med Adviser (received A's in ochem and speaks very highly on my potential).

After heavily considering dropping the pursuit, I decided to give medicine one more honest try. I am returning as a student retaking 3 ugrad courses at state U (would move me to ~2.9 at the end of this fall) and 1 graduate course in biology.

Took MCAT with little preparation so I plan on retaking in late November / December timeline. I hope with SN2ed 90 day study plan I can move that to a 30 by then!

I am unsure if I will need a SMP/PostBacc (aside from what I plan to do this semester and spring 2013) if I am able to get that MCAT >30. Also SMP's are expensive and risky. BUT if I don't get in it's another year away, which I prefer to of course not to have.

I filled AACOMAS this cycle but w/o fall grades I'll probably get screened at most schools. It'll be more for the learning process. Any suggestions or advice would be great, I am very open minded at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Retake any C or lower grades in science courses for AACOMAS grade replacement policy.

Take an SMP or post-bacc to get that cGPA >3.0, because you're in the auto-reject pool right now.

MCAT is OK, but retaking with preparation sounds like a good idea.

2.75 GPA (science and overall about the same with an upward trend from almost failing out first 2 years)

Shadowing and Volunteer Experience with good LOR from my O-chem prof and Pre-med Adviser (received A's in ochem and speaks very highly on my potential).

After heavily considering dropping the pursuit, I decided to give medicine one more honest try. I am returning as a student retaking 3 ugrad courses at state U (would move me to ~2.9 at the end of this fall) and 1 graduate course in biology.

Took MCAT with little preparation so I plan on retaking in late November / December timeline. I hope with SN2ed 90 day study plan I can move that to a 30 by then!

I am unsure if I will need a SMP/PostBacc (aside from what I plan to do this semester and spring 2013) if I am able to get that MCAT >30. Also SMP's are expensive and risky. BUT if I don't get in it's another year away, which I prefer to of course not to have.

I filled AACOMAS this cycle but w/o fall grades I'll probably get screened at most schools. It'll be more for the learning process. Any suggestions or advice would be great, I am very open minded at this point.

With fall replacement grades I should be damn close to 3.0 and should get beyond with spring. Would some schools look at me with grades still open? I did input those fall classes on AACOMAS.

Members don't see this ad :)

It never ceases to amaze me how many people pop up on SDN in the same position I was 18 months ago. I like sharing my story on these threads because I hope you will find inspiration in it.

I finished UG with a 2.65 (121 credits) after nearly failing out my first year as well. My first semester GPA was a 1.4, second semester was a 1.8. Gradual upward trend with a 3.73 senior year and 4.0 in post-bacc (albeit at a community college). Had a 28M MCAT back then as well.

So I graduated in May 2010, and did pretty much nothing from then until October 2010 when I volunteered in a research lab. Found a clinical lab job in January 2011 and started taking classes at community college in May 2011. Since then, I've completed 35 credits (retakes combined with new credits) at a 4.0 to increase my sGPA to a 3.28. I also retook the MCAT.

If you're looking exclusively at DO, you don't need to do an SMP. Just crunch some numbers (your GPA) and figure out which credits and how many credits you'll need to become competitive.

It's totally possible and quite honestly it's really fun to watch your GPA go up.

What about the SMP/postbacc that are offered at DO schools (i.e. LMU or LECOM)? At this point I am only considering DO.

What about the SMP/postbacc that are offered at DO schools (i.e. LMU or LECOM)? At this point I am only considering DO.
If you are conidering DO...Do what MedPR suggested... You will be competitive if you can get your cGPA/sGPA above 3.2. No need for expensive SMP...

They put big emphasis on your most recent trend so get all A's in your last couple semesters and then apply!

Retaking classes is cheaper and faster in terms of GPA increase than an SMP. There's nothing wrong with an SMP though.

I would look into all of the different options if that's something you end up considering. I did an SMP and I think it was one of the best possible things I could have done for my application (I didn't have a sub 3.0 gpa but I was only a little above a 3.0). If anything, it shows that you can handle graduate level courses and if you plan on doing one at a D.O. school (SMP or post-bacc), and you will definitely be highly regarded when it comes to that particular institution in terms of an applicant to their medical school. If you do look into it, I suggest looking into one at the D.O. school you would like to attend. That's what I did and I'm hoping it works out for me this cycle :xf: Good luck with the course retakes and MCAT retake though! :thumbup: (FYI I believe after the last September date you can't take the MCAT until January 2013 - why they don't offer October/November/December MCATs is beyond me :confused:)

I was close to where you were in 2006... 2.6 gpa and 28 MCAT. I got into the MS program at KCOM, survived, and then went on to the DO program.

I was an A student during basic sciences, and am currently a PGY-1 General Surgery resident.

It is totally doable, but you might need to do a SMP or MS program.

Take a look at the MS program (Research/Biomedical Sciences) that ATSU/KCOM offers. I recommend it to anyone with a questionable academic record. It will set you up to do well as a medical student.

Good luck!

I was close to where you were in 2006... 2.6 gpa and 28 MCAT. I got into the MS program at KCOM, survived, and then went on to the DO program.

I was an A student during basic sciences, and am currently a PGY-1 General Surgery resident.

It is totally doable, but you might need to do a SMP or MS program.

Take a look at the MS program (Research/Biomedical Sciences) that ATSU/KCOM offers. I recommend it to anyone with a questionable academic record. It will set you up to do well as a medical student.

Good luck!

Idk what it was like back in 2006, but in 2010 KCOM flat out told me my 2.65/28 wouldn't get me into their MS program. Did my own post bacc, got to a 3.28/33, applied to KCOM DO and got rejected pre-interview. I'm a MO resident. Perhaps they just never liked me :p

I can't get past your user name.
well...if any of ya'll matriculate at the same school as me in the future...you'll probably know which guy I am...:cool:

Any how, it is back to the grind for me starting tomorrow. I will keep ya'll updated with questions and progress. Taking 13 credits with 7 replacing (one D and one C) so that should help tremendously for getting towards that 3.0

I am confident about this decision to pursue medicine because at the end of the day...I understand it. The poor grades were due to some immaturity issues from early on (bad influences and fraternity life lol) which I have now put behind me!!

I will be applying DPM and Postbacc/MS as well this cycle so when I get all my options on the table (assuming I have any) I will critically analyze them for their strengths and weaknesses!

...SN2ed 90 plan grind...woooooooooooooooooo (in the Rick Flare voice) :D