HELP!!! How to Explain low OAT section score on interview?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fitdoc123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you explain low OAT SECTION score on interview?

AA: 330
TS:340
BIO:370
ORGO:360
CHEM:320
PHYS:290
MATH:270
RC:340

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that's the actual reason, the is no other reason for not doing well.

The OAT is the only metric schools have for an "apples to apples" comparison of applicants academic skills.
It's meant to help ID the 4.0 at a community college GPA vs the 3.5 at Stanford's differences.

I'd be prepared to answer, "Your math & physics scores are low. There's lots of math & physics in optometry school. How do you plan to handle that?"

Yes that's the actual reason, the is no other reason for not doing well.

If you feel you are weak in those subject areas, you should probably not apply.

If you were surprised by those scores and feel that they are not an accurate measurement of your ability to well in those subjects, I would say "I was surprised by those scores and feel that they are not an accurate measurement of my ability to well in those subjects."

I got accepted into SUNY! I have a very strong application and I'm a strong competitor but thanks

Reactions: 1 users
How do you explain low OAT SECTION score on interview?

AA: 330
TS:340
BIO:370
ORGO:360
CHEM:320
PHYS:290
MATH:270
RC:340

I got accepted into SUNY! I have a very strong application and I'm a strong competitor but thanks

With a 3.54 GPA undergad and a 3.6 graduate masters you numbers are excellent. Your OAT score is good. You scored below on math and physics. No worries.
I can not guarantee you but most likely no one on any admissions committee for your interview will ask you why you scored low on those two sections.
They will welcome you with open arms with your stellar record.

Did you take MCATs? Why didn't you apply to med school if you don't mind me asking ? 3.5 might not cut it nowadays to med school but with a Masters 3.6 and if you scored above 32 you would have a shot.

I don't know where you went to undergad and grad school but your credentials would have you accepted in every OD school across the country.

Good Luck as you embark on your journey to our wonderful profession.

"]If you feel you are weak in those subject areas, you should probably not apply.

Not apply to Optometry schools because she scored 290 and 270 ? Physics and math ? You believe she will not be able to pass or do well in geometric and ophthalmic optics ? Or theoretical optics ?
Scoring below average is absolutely no indicator of how she will do in those course in Optometry school.
You're not on any committee board for admissions are you? I sure hope not.

Reactions: 1 users
"]If you feel you are weak in those subject areas, you should probably not apply.

Not apply to Optometry schools because she scored 290 and 270 ? Physics and math ? You believe she will not be able to pass or do well in geometric and ophthalmic optics ? Or theoretical optics ?
Scoring below average is absolutely no indicator of how she will do in those course in Optometry school.
You're not on any committee board for admissions are you? I sure hope not.

No that's not what I meant. Those scores aren't catastrophic, especially in light of other strong scores.

But if math and physics is a weak area for you, I would contend that optometry probably isn't the ideal career for you.

Did you take MCATs? Why didn't you apply to med school if you don't mind me asking ? 3.5 might not cut it nowadays to med school but with a Masters 3.6 and if you scored above 32 you would have a shot.

Probably because she doesn't want to do medicine. :confused:

No that's not what I meant. Those scores aren't catastrophic, especially in light of other strong scores.

But if math and physics is a weak area for you, I would contend that optometry probably isn't the ideal career for you.

She'll be fine. You don't have to be a genius in math and physics to become an optometrist. Although the courses in Optometry school involving math and physics are not easy she will handle them and do fine.

She's becoming an optometrist. Not going to NASA to put a man in Mars.

Reactions: 1 user
i didnt want to go to medical school, bc it does not interest me. just bc i have a great gpa doesnt mean i want to be a medicacl doctor. i have done various medical internships at columbia medical school, yale and mount sinai.. but honestly i didnt feel that joy or happiness like i do with optometry.

im not going to be a medical doctor just for the title and money bc money doesnt make u happy

optometry makes me very happy, i love the work-life balance and especially bc i am a family person it is the perfect balance.

Congratulations on your acceptance to SUNY Optometry.

Best Wishes on your professional and personal endeavors,

OD

Last edited: