HELP! I applied to medical school in the past. Can I still get into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDr.A

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Mcat and applied to medical school in the past. I know now that medicine is not the path for me and I really want to be a dentist.

I know that the primary dental school application asks if you have ever applied to other professional schools and they look down on people who have applied to medical school in the past.

I am beyond concerned. I really want to be a dentist. I have a great GPA, I volunteer and shadow at a community dental clinic, and I am trying my best to get a good DAT score.

Would it be impossible to get into a good dental school if I applied to medical school in the past? Do you know of anyone who has made it?

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Many people have done it, you are fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to medical school for the 2016 cycle and didn't get in. Applied to dental school for the 2017 cycle and got accepted. You'll be fine if your stats are good enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to medical school for the 2016 cycle and didn't get in. Applied to dental school for the 2017 cycle and got accepted. You'll be fine if your stats are good enough!

Congrats and thanks! I feel much better now. As you were filling out secondary applications and/or going to interviews, did they ask you why you had changed your mind? Was this something they really cared about?

I was accepted to medical school, but turned it down because I don't want to be a slave to my job. Half of my physician mentors told me not to go into medicine, because it's not what it used to be. A few years after that I found dentistry to offer the balance I was looking for. Wrote all about that in my personal statement. Absolutely no problems on my end.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 3 users
I took the Mcat and applied to medical school in the past. I know now that medicine is not the path for me and I really want to be a dentist.

I know that the primary dental school application asks if you have ever applied to other professional schools and they look down on people who have applied to medical school in the past.

I am beyond concerned. I really want to be a dentist. I have a great GPA, I volunteer and shadow at a community dental clinic, and I am trying my best to get a good DAT score.

Would it be impossible to get into a good dental school if I applied to medical school in the past? Do you know of anyone who has made it?

Thank you so much!!
You can. I knew of 2 people who applied to both dental and medical school at the same time. One of them got into both professional schools, but ultimately chose to go to med school.

If you make it fully clear dentistry is what your completely set on then you should be. Show them by shadowing many dental specialties, maybe saying something in your personal statement regarding the change of heart, and even emailing a letter of intent.

I withdrew from podiatry school February 2016. Spent a year on the grind working at a dental lab and got accepted to dental school this past Monday. I wrote about what led me to withdraw and why I love dentistry. I had the same concern as you when I began applying. I'd like to believe they understand that we're all just trying to figure it out...so if you want it, go get it!

I was accepted to medical school, but turned it down because I don't want to be a slave to my job. Half of my physician mentors told me not to go into medicine, because it's not what it used to be. A few years after that I found dentistry to offer the balance I was looking for. Wrote all about that in my personal statement. Absolutely no problems on my end.

Big Hoss
Im doing the same. You think its okay to write about the switch in the personal statement? Im freaking out that they wouldn't like that.