1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! I applied to medical school in the past. Can I still get into dental school?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by FutureDr.A, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FutureDr.A

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I took the Mcat and applied to medical school in the past. I know now that medicine is not the path for me and I really want to be a dentist.

I know that the primary dental school application asks if you have ever applied to other professional schools and they look down on people who have applied to medical school in the past.

I am beyond concerned. I really want to be a dentist. I have a great GPA, I volunteer and shadow at a community dental clinic, and I am trying my best to get a good DAT score.

Would it be impossible to get into a good dental school if I applied to medical school in the past? Do you know of anyone who has made it?

Thank you so much!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Likkriue

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Many people have done it, you are fine.

PreDentTechySon likes this.
  4. ZBehr93

Dental Student
    I applied to medical school for the 2016 cycle and didn't get in. Applied to dental school for the 2017 cycle and got accepted. You'll be fine if your stats are good enough!

5. FutureDr.A

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congrats and thanks! I feel much better now. As you were filling out secondary applications and/or going to interviews, did they ask you why you had changed your mind? Was this something they really cared about?

6. Big Time Hoosier

Big Time Hoosier Man. Myth. Legend.
    Dentist 2+ Year Member

Dentist
    I was accepted to medical school, but turned it down because I don't want to be a slave to my job. Half of my physician mentors told me not to go into medicine, because it's not what it used to be. A few years after that I found dentistry to offer the balance I was looking for. Wrote all about that in my personal statement. Absolutely no problems on my end.

Big Hoss

7. Blake1e

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You can. I knew of 2 people who applied to both dental and medical school at the same time. One of them got into both professional schools, but ultimately chose to go to med school.

If you make it fully clear dentistry is what your completely set on then you should be. Show them by shadowing many dental specialties, maybe saying something in your personal statement regarding the change of heart, and even emailing a letter of intent.

8. redhotchiligochu

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I have a close friend who dropped out of med school first trimester/quarter, and got accepted to UCLA school of dentistry with NO shadowing experience. She had a 3.8 and a 23 AA. As long as you have the numbers, I don't think adcoms will give a hoot since you're not bringing down their average stats.

9. Biomechanix

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I withdrew from podiatry school February 2016. Spent a year on the grind working at a dental lab and got accepted to dental school this past Monday. I wrote about what led me to withdraw and why I love dentistry. I had the same concern as you when I began applying. I'd like to believe they understand that we're all just trying to figure it out...so if you want it, go get it!

10. ams11ac00

Im doing the same. You think its okay to write about the switch in the personal statement? Im freaking out that they wouldn't like that.

11. Big Time Hoosier

Big Time Hoosier Man. Myth. Legend.
    Dentist 2+ Year Member

Dentist
    As long as you have legit, thoughtful reasons behind the switch, based on my experience, I don’t see a problem.

Big Hoss