Aug 27, 2015
Status
Dentist
Hi Everyone,

I am a Foreign Dentist, 34 years, permanent resident, living in CA ,Mommy of two Angels and trying to pass the NDBE part 1 . I took the NDBE 1 exam FOUR times and i've never passed :( I have studied from the Dental Decks, First Aid,Nuggets "UCLA" , ASDA released exams, Remembered questions.I am willing to prepare for the exam at least 6 month 3-4 hours a day.

I REALLY NEED HELP HOW CAN I PASS THIS EXAM?

Any Advise how can i prepare for the Exam ?

I would really appreciate your Help

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi Everyone,

I am a Foreign Dentist, 34 years, permanent resident, living in CA ,Mommy of two Angels and trying to pass the NDBE part 1 . I took the NDBE 1 exam FOUR times and i've never passed :( I have studied from the Dental Decks, First Aid,Nuggets "UCLA" , ASDA released exams, Remembered questions.I am willing to prepare for the exam at least 6 month 3-4 hours a day.

Thanks
Hi dear I understand it's so tough with kids, but it's totally doable.please pm me and I can exactly go with you what you need to do to ace the exam......this forum has helped me a lot and i would be happy to help you.

Reactions: Dental31

oralcare123

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Status
It is hard to give advice , not knowing how low your score was and in which areas. If you are failing, it means that review material is not enough - you need to go back to a textbook. At the same time you should not take too long to review material, because by the end you will forget what you learned in the beginning. I knew, that I needed to learn biochemistry and dental anatomy with occlusion more then anything else, so I had to read a couple of textbooks for each. Deeper review for human anatomy, Kaplan notes for the microbiology and development

oralcare123

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Status
So, you are almost there. For biochemistry choose a regular and easier textbooks. The easier one is for high school or the one called "Biochemistry for dummies" not very sophisticated, but easy to read and memorize, compared to university level textbook. You need the last one to - to compare and sometimes it is easier explained in a harder textbook. With anatomy, you probably noticed, majority of questions are head and neck. There is no other way around it, but to learn it perfectly

OP
Dental31
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Dentist
If you were asked which #1 source would you pick for studying the NDBE 1

what would you choose ?
#Dental Decks
#First Aid
#Board Busters

oralcare123

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Status
I used dental decks, they allowed me to understand in which areas I am missing knowledge. I found Kaplan notes for NBDE1 invaluable and wish I spend more time studying human development. I read a couple of textbooks on dental anatomy to make sure I know it fairly well. I decided to use anatomy and physiology book for the high school - it is easier and faster to review and biochemistry for dummies for the same reason. It took me 4 months, I passed from the first time
I think the root of your problem is, that you use the review material, which does not give you the detail or form the way to logically find the answer during the exam. For example, if you study veins of the face the decks may give the list, but you need to look in the atlas for a picture and location of them, so if during the exam question is asked in a different way you will be able to answer
You also need to ask your relatives for help with child minding - to give you a chance to concentrate. You may have to go to the library to have no distructions

OP
Dental31
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Dentist
I used dental decks, they allowed me to understand in which areas I am missing knowledge. I found Kaplan notes for NBDE1 invaluable and wish I spend more time studying human development. I read a couple of textbooks on dental anatomy to make sure I know it fairly well. I decided to use anatomy and physiology book for the high school - it is easier and faster to review and biochemistry for dummies for the same reason. It took me 4 months, I passed from the first time
I think the root of your problem is, that you use the review material, which does not give you the detail or form the way to logically find the answer during the exam. For example, if you study veins of the face the decks may give the list, but you need to look in the atlas for a picture and location of them, so if during the exam question is asked in a different way you will be able to answer
You also need to ask your relatives for help with child minding - to give you a chance to concentrate. You may have to go to the library to have no distructions
Thank you so much for your Help .. i really appreciate it .

I think the Dental decks will be my review Material as i read it twice before and i will read the First aid as a main source for studying as well as the Biochemistry for Dummies !

a lot of people here advised me to stick to one source of studying ..One source to be your bible of studying and do not confuse your self with tons of books !

yes i have help here my Mom ! and i will study in a library .

Have any one heard about ADA that will combine NDBE part 1 and part 2 at the end of year 2015 ? That would be a shocking new for me !! i hope this is not true .

oralcare123

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Status
People are different, so they study differently. I think my way of studying is pretty good - I passed all my exams from the first try.
I figured, that I am lacking knowledge and decks were not enough. I can tell you - they are not enough. Sometimes you will have to just search subject on line. It will definitely would be an overkill to read a ton of textbooks, but two or three , not all chapters, are very reasonable. The main thing you need is to determine the areas with the worst performance and study better there

OP
Dental31
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Dentist
Th
People are different, so they study differently. I think my way of studying is pretty good - I passed all my exams from the first try.
I figured, that I am lacking knowledge and decks were not enough. I can tell you - they are not enough. Sometimes you will have to just search subject on line. It will definitely would be an overkill to read a ton of textbooks, but two or three , not all chapters, are very reasonable. The main thing you need is to determine the areas with the worst performance and study better there
Thank Again for your Reply :)

dentalpal13

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Same advice do dental decks first aid and refer text book for weak subjects to understand the concept and old questions and study for at least 6months .I did take time with my little one to give exams

Sep 9, 2015
hi everyone, I am a mother of four and I live in Canada. I have taken the exam twice and scored 73 on both occasions. I had given up on taking the exams again because its too much stress and the zeal to study is gone. I just made up my mind to give it one more shot. I took the last exam in 2013, is it possible to ace the exam this time? what do you think my chances are ? I have dental decks 2012; will that be sufficient? I am confused and desperate ...I don't want to fail again! its hard to recover!!!

Jan 11, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
hi everyone, I am a mother of four and I live in Canada. I have taken the exam twice and scored 73 on both occasions. I had given up on taking the exams again because its too much stress and the zeal to study is gone. I just made up my mind to give it one more shot. I took the last exam in 2013, is it possible to ace the exam this time? what do you think my chances are ? I have dental decks 2012; will that be sufficient? I am confused and desperate ...I don't want to fail again! its hard to recover!
Hi

oralcare123

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Status
hi everyone, I am a mother of four and I live in Canada. I have taken the exam twice and scored 73 on both occasions. I had given up on taking the exams again because its too much stress and the zeal to study is gone. I just made up my mind to give it one more shot. I took the last exam in 2013, is it possible to ace the exam this time? what do you think my chances are ? I have dental decks 2012; will that be sufficient? I am confused and desperate ...I don't want to fail again! its hard to recover!!!
Format has changed, it is 8 hour exam now. You need more then just decks, if you failed twice. Do you know in which sections you did poorly?

Reactions: keep the faith
Jan 11, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
As said above in previous posts......
What areas are you struggling in
Which subject is tough for you
Are you all over the place by studying many sources or focusing on just few but knowing them thoroughly
How about asda exams.... How are you scoring in them
Are you using wiki and other sources in topics you are lacking in.
Decks are really good for anatomy and Da Dh... In both these subjects you have to do extra study too( occlusion from okesan, picket fence understanding, occlusion concept of which cusp lies where in what movement, anatomy diagrams from wiki, make sticky notes of these diagrams and post on your wall or table where you study, try drawing them with your own hand, I find studying from diagram easier than studying anatomy in theory. Mnemonics are life saver , histo from first aid, organ system is good in first aid with diagrams. Side notes in first aid are must and helpful.
In my case micro, patho, physio, biochem I totally did from first aid...... With lots of Wikipedia help.
Asda exams helped me in knowing if what I am studying is helping me prepare or not....eg first I studied patho from decks once ( reading ) then studied from first aid and found I liked it better there n in the end I could remember all that then it would be fine - then I attempted Asda h,I,j....and scored 67,70,71
After my second revision I was scoring 73 -75 and by third revision I was around 79-80 so with every revision score was getting better .... Then I stopped worrying about Asda as I knew I am right path and can do it.
Read appropriate and revise more and more......
One very important factor- don't be scared, if you think you CANT then you WONT. so focus just on preparation and leave rest on God. Give your best 3 months ...... If I can anyone can....
Hope this helps.

canine2012

5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2012
Status
I used Kaplan review book(the best source) plus dental decks(3 times) firstaid only for anatomy, ASDA exam at the end. That's the formula, hope it helps.

Oct 5, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Hello I am in the same situation, I don't know what to do, do you know about other option? Thank you

Sep 30, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Dont loose hope continue studying. I am a Mom of 2 little girls too. I gave my NBDE Part 2 exam when I was full term pregnant and moreover I had to look after my 2 year old daughter, with no help from anybody. U have at least ur Mom to help u. Make good use of it. I just did Decks, Mosbys and Question papers. But I knew decks and Mosbys inside out.

Reactions: keep the faith

Schanner

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2014
I think you are great. You don't loose hope and you'll try it again! That is an inspiration!
I'm in a similar situation. I have a full time job and 2 kids and I'm trying to study for the exam. I wanted to give it last year but through some difficulties I couldn't do it.
Now I'm back to the books as far as I have time.
Maybe we all could lift us up!

Reactions: Gloryover
Feb 24, 2018
Status
Dentist
Hi dear I understand it's so tough with kids, but it's totally doable.please pm me and I can exactly go with you what you need to do to ace the exam......this forum has helped me a lot and i would be happy to help you.
Hello I am also looking for a way to study for this test. Perhaps if there is a real study schedule that i could follow.

Feb 24, 2018
Status
Dentist
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
have yet passed?

gabooncito

5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2013
Status
I took it 5 times part 1 (2 times before they change the rules) then twice part 2. Don’t give up

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

usdoc9

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2015
Status
Dentist
Hi Everyone,

Thanks[/QUOTE
Hey, my sincere advice would be to get the concept right (instead of increasing the number of books). If you get the concept right, you can answer any new question.
ASDA papers are a life saver for old questions.
Also, take adequate break while studying & revise often.
Good luck!