Help, I have been rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Japrinces9

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, my name is Lisa, and I am from Philadelphia. I was just rejected to PCOM - the only school I wanted to go to. I was in such a state of devastation, I though of being a PA instead. The day before the PA applications were due, I decided against it because my heart is set on being a doctor. I would like to talk about what anyone outthere has done differently the second time around and what I have to do to get in. I spoke to some people about why I was not accepted and they said it was because of m low MCAT score - 22 (6 in verbal 8 in the bio and physical
and a Q in the writing) and that my essay wasn't wonderful. I personally don't think the interview went as well as it should have
either. I need some major pointers and don't know where to go. Please send me a post

Thanks so much.

------------------
Love
Lisa
---,-'-{@

Members don't see this ad.

I would start by calling the school. See if you can set up an appointment with an admissions counselor. If you're set on PCOM it's important to know why THEY rejected you. Improving your MCAT can't hurt, and if you feel your essay and interview weren't as good as they could have been work on that as well. Try to stay positive and make a sincere effort to improve. The adcoms will notice that next year!

I would probably retake the MCAT if possible. Take an MCAT prep course and your scores will definitely improve. also, there is a website that can help with writing a better essay: www.accepted.com. apply next year. lots of people don't get in their first time around!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lisa,

Is this the only school you applied to, or are you waiting to hear from others also? I would suggest the same things that others have (retake MCAT, redo personal statement, consult directly w/PCOM). I don't know if I'd go with www.accepted.com. I think you can do a good job on your PS is you give it to multiple reviewers and use the writing center on your college campus (if there is one). In my case, I worked with 3 people on my personal statement, all excellent writers and one with Master's studies in English. They were very helpful. I also know of others who used their premed advisor or set up a meeting w/an admissions person (pre-AMCAS app. of course) to sit down with them and actually go through their application in advance, including the personal statement. I'd look into that.

The only other thing I would suggest is that you cast a wide net when you apply the second time. I know we all have our ideal schools, but they don't always work out. Do some intensive research and find other schools that are also impressive to you and have what you're looking for.

YOU CAN DO IT! Don't get discouraged.

Good Luck,
VAD
smile.gif

Hi Lisa...

First, I'll echo the advice given by princess and biz. You're right there in the city so it's not too bad setting up a meeting with an admissions counselor at PCOM, a meeting that could prove to be very valuable. But hey, you're not doing too bad -- at least you got interviewed and have a response; I haven't even heard about an interview or rejection since they're still reviewing my application, which, this late in the game (and my being way, WAY out-of-state) means I'm probably headed for the REJECTION SECTION!

Second, I'd like to ask about something that biz said, specifically about committees "noticing an improvement" in a student's application from one year to the next. Does this really happen? Do schools honestly get out a person's application from the previous year (if one exists) and compare it to the current one to see what the student has done to improve their situation? Or do they really just evaluate people as they come across their collective desk? Seems that these schools get so MANY applications it would be time consuming to compare the old and new applications of applicants, and it's only slightly likely that committee members, even if they're identical from year to year, would remember a specific applicant and be able to remember that person's application after a whole year.

But hey, maybe I'm not giving them enough credit. Either way, I hope biz is right! It's nice to think they'd actually compare a person's old application to their new one to see what a student has done in the interim.

Continued luck, Lisa, and to all. Hopefully I'll see you on the wards someday.

Wheels

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who wrote to me. Yes, that was the only school I applied to because I am set on staying in this area. I went to my pre-med counselor and he said the same things you all did. To retake the MCATs (which I am doing and taking the princeton review) to contact the school. He also told me to get as much experience in the health profession as I could (since where I am working how has nothing to do with health care). I am happy to see new advice about my personal essay. I thought it was a great essay but I took a different approach then most other people would and I guess PCOM did not like it as much. I wrote as if it was graduation day and I was looking back. Probably not the best idea, but I thought it would make me stand out.

Again, thanks so much for all the help you have given me. Any other tips (especially for improving my verbal MCAT score is also greatly accepted.

Thanks again

------------------
Love
Lisa
---,-'-{@

wheels,

I did not interview at pcom till the end of january (on short notice, and I got in). I am from out of state as well

Bobo...

Thanks for that! Good to hear I've still got a chance, at least. Hopefully something great will happen.

And Lisa, working in the healthcare field is a big time help. Both my pre-med advisors said it made my application stronger and it gives good interview stories, good experience, and, once you get to know some of the docs and what-not, and endless sea of recommendation possibilities. Personally, it also helped me by getting me over feelings that I wasn't "involved" or fears that I wasn't completely cognisant of what I was getting myself into.

As always, continued luck to everyone.

Wheels

[This message has been edited by Wheels2000 (edited 01-05-2001).]

wheels,

At least for me it is comforting to know someone else is in the same position I'm it. I'm playing the waiting game round 2 as well. Good luck to you.

------------------
the only normal people are the ones you don't know yet

In addition to the info provided in the previous posts, I'd like to add my two cents. First of all you definately need to cast a wider net. The vast majority of people have their heart set on one school, but apply to several because the MOST important thing is to "get in" somewhere. By applying to only one school you may be sending the wrong message...that you're more concerned about living in a certain city than in becoming a physician. I'm not saying that's how you feel, but if I was on an adcom committee that's what I'd be thinking and I might have doubts about your committment to medicine.

Secondly, I can't stress enough the importance of the personal statement. The line between unusual and weird is very thin and I think you may have crossed it. Next year you should have as many people as possible read and critique it (pre-med advisor, physicians, english prof, parents, friends etc.).

Finally, you'll have to improve your MCAT. To be honest I'm kind of surprised you even got an interview. I know only one person who got in with a score that low, but she had a 4.0 gpa. Since your lowest score was in the verbal section you must find out why this is a problem area. Is it your reading speed or your comprehension. This is THE most important thing to work on in the coming year. I was told by one adcom chairman that this is the most important MCAT score because research has shown that those with less than an 8 in the verbal section have major difficulties handling the volumns of material in med school.

I hope I haven't been too harsh, but please realize that getting in is only the first of many hurdles you will face when you choose a career in medicine. It's better to grow a thick skin now.

Good luck to you!

I just wanted to throw in that my MCAT was lower, I did not have a 4.0, was not in the medical field (I had been a secretary for 10 years)and I am currently a third year doing well on my rotations. You can do it!!

Billie

hey, my mcat scores are higher, how come i still haven't been offered an interview?!

they just tell me that my application is complete!

Originally posted by Japrinces9:
Hi,
I spoke to some people about why I was not accepted and they said it was because of m low MCAT score - 22 (6 in verbal 8 in the bio and physical
and a Q in the writing) and that my essay wasn't wonderful. I personally don't think the interview went as well as it should have
either. I need some major pointers and don't know where to go. Please send me a post

Thanks so much.

Youngjock,

Patience. I just received my invitation on Saturday. My application has been complete for several months now. I hold an acceptance at UNECOM and turned down an interview at CCOM over a month ago. I just think PCOM is a little slower moving than other osteopathic schools, although not as bad as NYCOM which has yet to contact me.

I did not think at all that what you wrote was too harsh. I appreciate the honesty and the advice you gave me. Now, about my verbal score, it wasn't my speed, it was the comprehension that is my problem. It has been since I was very young. I am working very hard to improve that by reading more, but I feel I am not doing enough. Do you have any pointers for me?

Thanks again
Lisa

Lisa,

Talk with the people at the princton review, they may have some ideas. Also, I would arrange a meeting with someone in your english dept. They may have some ideas or know of someone experienced in helping those with this type of problem. Good Luck!

Lisa,

I can kind of relate about not getting in the first time around. It was a bummer for me, as many of my friends ended up at MSU while I did not. My MCAT scores were pretty average (I never put much stock in that being the big predictor anyhow--a belief that a member of the admission committee [a family friend] at MSU agrees with), but I have a lot of healthcare and research experience. However, my MCAT scores did get me into some graduate programs, so I followed that route as I knew that I would not go back and get my grad degree (MPH) after med school. While completing my MPH I retook the MCAT --my scores were pretty much the same as before. However, I got into med school (one of my top choices)!

Med schools do review repeat applicants. They want to see commitment and some type of change. Retaking the MCAT demonstrates your commitment to improve and become a doctor. Second, get the healthcare experience--for the application and for yourself.

The fact that you got an interview is pretty important. Therefore, I would rationalize that something during your interview was the weakness. Typically only a small percentage of applicants are invited for interviews. Of that small percentage, a smaller percentage are offered an acceptance. The school obviously saw something in you (on paper) that interested them. The interview is your opportunity to really sell yourself. It is your chance to make the school see that you will be a great doctor and that they would be proud to have you as there alumni. Keep that in mind for next year!

And, don't sell out to another profession. IF you want it, go for it. That way you won't look back in 20 years and say I wish that I would have. There are people who spent 7 years trying to get into medical school.

Good luck. Oh yeah, even though PCOM is your main interest, it is always best to have some alternative schools. The odds are already against you, just because so many people are applying for so few spots. Increase your chances in anyway that you can.

------------------
"Be wary when one says impossible, for it most likely means that they have just never seen it or done it before..."