Help! I need advice and/or opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colorado1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am getting ready to take the MCAT in 2 weeks and I want to know what would be an ideal/minimum score given my credidentials.

Graduated in 2011 from a great university with a major in Integrative Physiology with a 3.5 GPA and a sGPA of 3.3

I have gotten As is most of the pre-reqs including ochem, statistics and physics.

I was an undergraduate TA for general chem 1 and 2 as a sophomore in college.
I played club volleyball for my school and once I quit, my GPA for subsequent semesters was a 3.8.

I currently work full time as a medical assistant at an ear nose and throat office (going on 1 year). I used to work at a Dermatology office. I tutored college students in math. I am volunteering at a week long camp this summer for children with cancer. I was a subject for a research project that spanned about 1-2 years.
I have many hours of volunteering and shadowing at hospitals, PT clinics etc. LORs from 2 MDs, and both my chemistry professors in college.

I plan to apply to DO schools. On my practice MCATs, I keep getting 23, but I know I am capable of doing better.

I want to know what I should shoot for to be able to get into a DO program. I really like Rocky Vista because I am from Colorado. But of course, I will apply to others.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Postpone the MCAT, buckle down and do much better than 23. It will make your life easier.

Postpone the MCAT, buckle down and do much better than 23. It will make your life easier.

I missed the postpone date already. It was yesterday. I don't want to postpone it because I'm already burnt out SOOOO BURNT that postponing it will make it worse and longer. At least if I do poorly I can retake it before the cycle starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aim for 25+ and you'll be fine.

So I am getting ready to take the MCAT in 2 weeks and I want to know what would be an ideal/minimum score given my credidentials.

Graduated in 2011 from a great university with a major in Integrative Physiology with a 3.5 GPA and a sGPA of 3.3

I have gotten As is most of the pre-reqs including ochem, statistics and physics.

I was an undergraduate TA for general chem 1 and 2 as a sophomore in college.
I played club volleyball for my school and once I quit, my GPA for subsequent semesters was a 3.8.

I currently work full time as a medical assistant at an ear nose and throat office (going on 1 year). I used to work at a Dermatology office. I tutored college students in math. I am volunteering at a week long camp this summer for children with cancer. I was a subject for a research project that spanned about 1-2 years.
I have many hours of volunteering and shadowing at hospitals, PT clinics etc. LORs from 2 MDs, and both my chemistry professors in college.

I plan to apply to DO schools. On my practice MCATs, I keep getting 23, but I know I am capable of doing better.

I want to know what I should shoot for to be able to get into a DO program. I really like Rocky Vista because I am from Colorado. But of course, I will apply to others.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Take the MCAT, if you feel like you scored a 23 or lower, void the test and buckle down for a solid month and take it again. Getting a 23 with your gpa won't get you in anywhere.

23 WILL be fine, just apply broadly in that case.

23 WILL be fine, just apply broadly in that case.

As tempting as the voiding sounds, I am not a fan because when I think I do poor I do well and the opposite is true as well.

With a 23 you think ill be fine? What schools would accept a 23 with my credentials?

As tempting as the voiding sounds, I am not a fan because when I think I do poor I do well and the opposite is true as well.

With a 23 you think ill be fine? What schools would accept a 23 with my credentials?

ACOM, CUSOM, MUCOM, WCU, PCOM Ga, VCOM, KYCOM, WVSOM, PNWU, and LMU.

This is after thorough review of MdApps, the underdog thread, and school specific threads. VinceVeigel and others in this thread just want you better safe than sorry (25+), but 23, maybe even less, should get you in to one of these 10.

Here are some examples for encouragement...

3.47/3.22/23- accepted ACOM and MUCOM, interviews at LMU, PNWU, and CUSOM
3.26/3.01/24- accepted CUSOM
3.27/3.5/23- accepted ACOM, interview at LMU
3.38/2.83/24- accepted WCU and PCOM Ga
3.74 sgpa / 22- accepted VCOM, WVSOM, LMU, and CUSOM
3.42/3.25/23- accepted PCOM ga
3.63/3.22/24- accepted WCU and CUSOM, interviews at WVSOM, LMU, ACOM, and MUCOM
3.3/3.1/24- accepted PNWU
3.42/3.29/24- accepted MUCOM

etc etc etc

Last edited:
ACOM, CUSOM, MUCOM, WCU, PCOM Ga, VCOM, KYCOM, WVSOM, PNWU, and LMU.

This is after thorough review of MdApps, the underdog thread, and school specific threads. VinceVeigel and others in this thread just want you better safe than sorry (25+), but 23, maybe even less, should get you in to one of these 10.

Here are some examples for encouragement...

3.47/3.22/23- accepted ACOM and MUCOM, interviews at LMU, PNWU, and CUSOM
3.26/3.01/24- accepted CUSOM
3.27/3.5/23- accepted ACOM, interview at LMU
3.38/2.83/24- accepted WCU and PCOM Ga
3.74 sgpa / 22- accepted VCOM, WVSOM, LMU, and CUSOM
3.42/3.25/23- accepted PCOM ga
3.63/3.22/24- accepted WCU and CUSOM, interviews at WVSOM, LMU, ACOM, and MUCOM
3.3/3.1/24- accepted PNWU
3.42/3.29/24- accepted MUCOM

etc etc etc

That is very encouraging. I will, however aim for higher. Thanks for the advice and the data to back it up. If I do get a 23, I will likely attempt the MCAT again...

All the advice/input from everyone has been very useful! Thanks!

That is very encouraging. I will, however aim for higher. Thanks for the advice and the data to back it up. If I do get a 23, I will likely attempt the MCAT again...

All the advice/input from everyone has been very useful! Thanks!

fair enough, b/c unfortunately your chances at established schools would be poor with a 23.

OP a 25 is okay for most DO programs. Aim for a 27+ for best results applying to DO schools. 25 is not a better safe then sorry score, it's an average at lower tier/newer DO schools and well below average at some schools. 23 is just too low.

If you are getting 23s on the diagnostics repeatedly, you should either not sit your MCAT or void it.

Some more "anecdotes" for those interested

3.35/3.16/24- accepted soma, interview at ACOM
3.01/3.45/23- accepted LMU
3.3/3.1/24 and 3.5/3.35/23- accepted KCUMB last year
3.45/3.21/21- accepted LMU last year
3.2/24- accepted PCOM last year

Unable to find applicants of comparable stats that applied broadly and early and got no acceptances

None of that means "a 23 is okay" is good advice. Why on Earth should anyone aim to be below average? Why should the OP want one interview/acceptance at a brand new DO school when a decent MCAT could yield them more interviews than they know what to do with at DO schools young and old.

The OP would have a shot at MD with a 30+ for crying out loud.

I really don't understand pre-osteo sometimes.

None of that means "a 23 is okay" is good advice. Why on Earth should anyone aim to be below average? Why should the OP want one interview/acceptance at a brand new DO school when a decent MCAT could yield them more interviews than they know what to do with at DO schools young and old.

The OP would have a shot at MD with a 30+ for crying out loud.

I really don't understand pre-osteo sometimes.

Not saying its ok or a 23 should be aimed for, just saying it would not be lethal like most people would think. Just trying to make the point, 23 would not be the end of the world for this person.