School List Advice (MD and DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaDing

Reaction score
Hello!

I was hoping to get some feedback on my list of schools. I haven’t used SDN before and after reading some I’m now getting a little nervous.

Ill give some of my stats in case it matters, but I’m primarily interested in the schools, their reputation, any red flag schools, things like that.
My goal is to become a physician, not a top 20 name brand whatever.
But I do want to make sure I’m applying to schools that can support me, my education, provide adequate resources, provide me the tools/guidance to pass my boards, good culture, etc. And then pray one of them might be willing to give me a shot (lol).

Age: 24 (graduated undergrad 2018. Currently in my gap years working and volunteering and whatnot)
GPAc 3.73,
GPAs 3.74
MCAT: 504
Clinical experience: scribing, nurse aide, medical assistant, crisis text line - 2,600 hours to date (it is over 3,500 on AMCAS due to the end date for some being 7/2021)
Non-clinical: Volunteering and interning for the National Alliance on Mental Illness, Volunteering for Plants for Patients, Research summer internship (summer before freshman year of college), other little research (I don’t have much research), private tutor for a deaf student (I’m intermediate level in ASL), Div II Women’s Soccer player for 4 years.
Awards: A few academic scholarships, Athletics scholarships, MVP senior year, nominee for female athlete of the year, couple of other things.
Residency etc: Resident of Hawaii (grew up ages 10-18 and moved back in 2019); Just lost residency in Minnesota (born there, immediate and extended family lives MN, went to college MN); Ohio (grew up ages 1-10, over half of extended fam lives OH)

MD Schools:

Univ. of Hawaii (JABSOM) - (in-state, grew up there ages 10-18)
Univ. of Minnesota (Twin cities and Duluth) - (I have strong ties, born MN, family lives there now, only rescinded my residency there this year, went college there)
Wright State Univ.
Univ. of Wash (I know it’s a reach)
Med College of Wisconsin
TCU and UNTHSC
Tulane
Michigan State

DO Schools:

Nova DO
ATSU-SOMA
ATSU-Kirk
Des Moines
Kansas City
Ohio Heritage (I have strong ties, grew up there age 1-10, over half of extended fam lives Ohio)
Western (Pomona CA)
Lake Erie (Brad)
Touro (Nevada)
Rocky Vista
Campbell
Incarnate Word

I would love to hear from any of y’all in this community, especially from current med students at any of these schools (or other schools not listed that would recommend!).
It would be so awesome if I could possibly hear from @Goro and @Faha . I haven’t been on here long, but I can already see that many have a great respect for these two humans.

Thank you all in advanced :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I was hoping to get some feedback on my list of schools. I haven’t used SDN before and after reading some I’m now getting a little nervous.

Ill give some of my stats in case it matters, but I’m primarily interested in the schools, their reputation, any red flag schools, things like that.
My goal is to become a physician, not a top 20 name brand whatever.
But I do want to make sure I’m applying to schools that can support me, my education, provide adequate resources, provide me the tools/guidance to pass my boards, good culture, etc. And then pray one of them might be willing to give me a shot (lol).

Age: 24 (graduated undergrad 2018. Currently in my gap years working and volunteering and whatnot)
GPAc 3.73,
GPAs 3.74
MCAT: 504
Clinical experience: scribing, nurse aide, medical assistant, crisis text line - 2,600 hours to date (it is over 3,500 on AMCAS due to the end date for some being 7/2021)
Non-clinical: Volunteering and interning for the National Alliance on Mental Illness, Volunteering for Plants for Patients, Research summer internship (summer before freshman year of college), other little research (I don’t have much research), private tutor for a deaf student (I’m intermediate level in ASL), Div II Women’s Soccer player for 4 years.
Awards: A few academic scholarships, Athletics scholarships, MVP senior year, nominee for female athlete of the year, couple of other things.
Residency etc: Resident of Hawaii (grew up ages 10-18 and moved back in 2019); Just lost residency in Minnesota (born there, immediate and extended family lives MN, went to college MN); Ohio (grew up ages 1-10, over half of extended fam lives OH)

MD Schools:

Univ. of Hawaii (JABSOM) - (in-state, grew up there ages 10-18)
Univ. of Minnesota (Twin cities and Duluth) - (I have strong ties, born MN, family lives there now, only rescinded my residency there this year, went college there)
Wright State Univ.
Univ. of Wash (I know it’s a reach)
Med College of Wisconsin
TCU and UNTHSC
Tulane
Michigan State

DO Schools:

Nova DO
ATSU-SOMA
ATSU-Kirk
Des Moines
Kansas City
Ohio Heritage (I have strong ties, grew up there age 1-10, over half of extended fam lives Ohio)
Western (Pomona CA)
Lake Erie (Brad)
Touro (Nevada)
Rocky Vista
Campbell
Incarnate Word

I would love to hear from any of y’all in this community, especially from current med students at any of these schools (or other schools not listed that would recommend!).
It would be so awesome if I could possibly hear from @Goro and @Faha . I haven’t been on here long, but I can already see that many have a great respect for these two humans.

Thank you all in advanced :)
U WA isn't a reach, it's a donation. Take your mom out for Mother's Day next year instead.

Here is a more realistic list:
SLU (maybe)
Oakland U Beaumont
Wayne State
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
TCU/UNT
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
JAB
U MN

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Reactions: 1 user
U WA isn't a reach, it's a donation. Take your mom out for Mother's Day next year instead.

Here is a more realistic list:
SLU (maybe)
Oakland U Beaumont
Wayne State
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
TCU/UNT
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
JAB
U MN

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the suggestions.

I’ll definitely look into some of those other MD ones. I knew a couple were donations so not too surprised:X3:. TCU/UNT is new right? Is that okay?

I’ll scratch Incarnate Word for sure.

I was hoping Nova was a good option because they have a dual degree masters in nutrition, but no point if I’m not passing boards or matching... I will probably scratch Lake Erie too. Then look into some of those additional DO schools you listed.

Members don't see this ad :)

I’ll definitely look into some of those other MD ones. I knew a couple were donations so not too surprised:X3:. TCU/UNT is new right? Is that okay?

I was hoping Nova was a good option because they have a dual degree masters in nutrition, but no point if I’m not passing boards or matching... I will probably scratch Lake Erie too. Then look into some of those additional DO schools you listed.
New schools always have issues, but a new MD school will still be OK.

I have identical stats and received an II at NOVA! You should be competitive for them!

While growing up in Ohio from ages 1-10 certainly gives you some ties to the state, I don't think that gives you residency. Could be wrong though, I'm not 100% certain on that though so take it with a grain of salt.