Help!!! I need your opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nesalang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was premed students, changed mind and want to apply for dentistry this year.
Do you think I am too late to apply?

Another question is:
Since I was premed students, I do not have any shadowing experiences with dentists ( I do have one year of shadowing experience with a MD). What will be the chance of getting into the school without the shadowing experience with dentists?

In the end, what do you think about applying this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Another question is:
Since I was premed students, I do not have any shadowing experiences with dentists ( I do have one year of shadowing experience with a MD). What will be the chance of getting into the school without the shadowing experience with dentists?

why the sudden switch? What makes you think dentistry is for you without any dental shadowing experience?

Members don't see this ad :)

Another question is:

I would suggest you apply for the 2007-2008 cycle. In the meantime, take the DATs, shadow a dentist and find out if dentistry is really for you. If in the end this is what you want, apply early next year. good luck!

i agree with others. wait to apply for the class entering 2008.. you'd probably be wasting your time n' money applying this year seeing as though you have NO shadowing experience, NO dat scores, and NO real desire to be a dentist (see no shadowing experience).

good luck.

jb!

Another question is:

It is not too late in the cycle, but it is starting to get late. Depending on your GPA and future DAT score along with your extracurriculars, you may have a shot. It also depends on the schools you want to apply to.

The first question of course is why dentistry over medicine, especially if you have never even shadowed? You should really make sure this is the right profession for you before jumping in. Go to your dentist this week and see if you can get in and do some shadowing right away. If for some reason you absolutely know that you want to do dentistry, go ahead and start the application process now - this weekend - and get your transcripts sent to AADSAS. Get your LORs out too - if you already had them for med school then just have those same professors touch them up a bit for dental and have them sent out. It takes 4 -8 weeks to process your application, usually around 6 weeks so the earlier you can submit your application the better. At the same time, you will want to start preparing for the DAT right away and plan on taking it by mid october.

In short, it is not too late and you do have a shot - but please make sure this is what you want. There are a lot of differences between medicine and dentistry so don't assume its the same profession just focused on teeth. I woould suggest taking your time to decide - if you haven't decided for sure, its not a bad idea to take the next six months looking carefully into the profession and then, if its for you, apply early next May or June for the entering class of 2008. This will also benefit your application because right now dental schools will see you also applied to medical school and have not done any dental shadowing and assume that dentistry is your backup - which usually is not looked favorably upon.

thanks.

Well, it is true. I guess I am going to look for shadowing right away.

I would definitely wait!

The best advice I ever got was to apply right on may 15th. I have benefited greatly. I have already had a few interviews and the pools I seem to be grouped with are less competitive.

Take Case for example, I interviewed the second day they began them. That was the first of August. I was invited for an interview before many students even turned in their AADSAS. Also, they want to fill their class so they get paid and get good students who won't bail on them or drop out. They want responsible individuals who are on the ball.
Then compare someone who applied in july-august. They are in a larger pool with more competitive applicants. They need to look better to stand out and if they do stand out they Interview in december or january or later.

Another example, At my school a kid applied in may with DAt of 18 and GPA of 3.3. Another student applied in august, DAT of 22 (with 29 in ochem and 27 in reading) and a lifetime GPA of 4.0 (NO kidding). The DAT 18 kid got accepted to 5 schools on december 1st and could choose where to go. The DAt 22 kid only got into 1 school as an alternate and was notified in April.

So my advice to all predents is apply early, it is the one thing you can control to enhance your chances significantly. You may still get in if you apply late, its not impossible, but why not do everything in your power to get in to where you want to go. It is your future, apply early!!!

stay with medical and don't make the sudden change to dental because you are doign it for the wrong reason and the admissions committee will realize this so hey, good luck