HELP : i want to take PCAT. but im an engineer..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missy1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i have a BS in software engineering. but i dont like it and i dont know why did i studied that major.
any way. im so much intrested in pharmacy and i want to be a pharmacist.
i searched the web i figured out that i should take a PCAT exam.
do you think i can study chemistry and biology of PCAT in one year ? because i never studied biology before just a little chemistry in high school. what do you think ?
and how can i take the pre-required semesters ? should i apply first ? can i take them while stydying for pharmacy ?
and one IMPORTANT question that i have is...i heard that i should pass one semester of Public speaking..
so thats the problem for me.because i stutter some times,mostly when i get exited or nervous.so is it bad for me? you think i should not study pharmacy because of that ?
thank you .

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't had any Chemistry since high school, I think it would be highly beneficial for you to at least begin to take some of your pre-req courses (chemistry, bio, etc.). Consider taking courses at a local college. I think you'd be better off taking a bio and chem course before you start self studying for the PCAT, since I guarantee you will have a very difficult time if you're studying for the PCAT with little background in the two sciences, as it is also important to do well on those two sections on the test.

Some pharmacy schools have a public speaking prereq, although not all of them. I'd check the pharmacy schools you are thinking of individually first and then make a plan of what classes you will need to take from your research.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to go to pharmacy school, you will need to complete all of the prereqs anyways just to meet the application requirements. So I would take them first before worrying about the PCAT

The PCAT is very reflective of the prereq courses, especially biochem/organic/A&P/gen chem/microbiology

Start taking prereqs right away and follow the aforementioned advice. It's not hard but could be a long road. I am an engineer with a full time job and I managed to take classes in the evening and weekends at local community college and universities to fulfill prereqs requirement. It took me 2 years to get everything done and back as an applicant for this cycle. I had zero background in biology and little in chemistry one year ago, but I managed to shoot 93% in pcat this summer after rigorous study on Kaplan this spring. All I wanted to tell you is everything is possible if you are solely determined and ready to sacrifice your spare time.

BTW, English is not my native language. i still need to take English I & II before next fall when school starts, which did not prevent me from getting interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start taking prereqs right away and follow the aforementioned advice. It's not hard but could be a long road. I am an engineer with a full time job and I managed to take classes in the evening and weekends at local community college and universities to fulfill prereqs requirement. It took me 2 years to get everything done and back as an applicant for this cycle. I had zero background in biology and little in chemistry one year ago, but I managed to shoot 93% in pcat this summer after rigorous study on Kaplan this spring. All I wanted to tell you is everything is possible if you are solely determined and ready to sacrifice your spare time.

BTW, English is not my native language. i still need to take English I & II before next fall when school starts, which did not prevent me from getting interviews.
2 years to get everything...its ok.
but i have a bachelor, so studying pharmacy is 6 year for me too ? or 6 years is for those who came from college ?
Thank you

Although you have no chemistry and biology background, you might be able to do bio and chem in a little over a year.

E.g. Bio 1 Chem 1 during fall, Bio 2 Chem 2 during spring, Orgo 1, a&p1 summer 1, orgo 2 a&p2 summer 2

Take whatever else u need during fall and spring with gen bio and chem.

However... This curriculum isn't easy, so make sure you don't screw up your grades and make it even harder to finish in year or two.

You should start looking for an opportunity to work in a pharmacy before you apply. You're going to need 4 semesters of chemistry (2 general chem, 2 organic chem), 2 semesters of biology, 2 semesters of anatomy, most likely speech... I needed calculus, English, psychology, physics... check the requirements of whatever school you're applying to. If you can learn fast then yeah I think it's possible for you to teach yourself... but make sure that you actually want to become a pharmacist first.

Thank You Very Much <3 :kiss:
----
Can i Apply for a 3 year program of doctorate of pharmacy ?
and before that i have to take pre-request in college..and i think i can finish that in a year !!
because i have physic and math courses in school and university...
is there any 3year program pharmacy schools in new york ? and how can i apply ?
----------
i think im sure about that...i do actually want to become a pharmacist...:)